I recently stopped using my KeyOne because the touchpad in the keyboard was playing up. It was randomly activating and scrolling my screen all the time. The space bar felt kinda funny too. I figured it's fair enough, really, as I have been using it a lot every day for two years.

I purchased the BB Evolve (it works fine on the networks here in the UK) and it's fine, but I miss the pkb.

I will be moving to America in early 2020, meaning I'm going to need to go back to my KeyOne as the Evolve doesn't work on US networks.

So, I have decided to refurb my KeyOne and prepare it for use again in 2020. I suspect it's going to be quite an outdated device by then, but I really don't care as long as it still works.

I have purchased:

- Replacement keyboard
    - Replacement battery
    - Replacement back cover

I figure replacing the battery will be important, as it has been charged hundreds of times since I bought it. I'm assuming this might help with the general running of the device as well, right? I notice the keyone has been running a little hot in recent months and not getting as much out of a charge as I used to.

My main question, really, is if there is anything else I should be looking at? It would be nice to pick up the phone again in early 2020 and have it run as smoothly as possible.

Is there any thermal paste in there that I need to be looking at replacing? Any other steps I could take that would help it run smoothly?

I've noticed a fair few people on here saying they miss their BE and consider it a better option compared to the Key2 LE even in 2019. I think I'm inclined to agree. I very nearly bought an LE, but didn't want to lose the capacative pkb. The BE is pretty much my ideal device.

Cheers!
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    09-22-19 02:07 PM
    I recently stopped using my KeyOne because the touchpad in the keyboard was playing up. It was randomly activating and scrolling my screen all the time. The space bar felt kinda funny too. I figured it's fair enough, really, as I have been using it a lot every day for two years.

I purchased the BB Evolve (it works fine on the networks here in the UK) and it's fine, but I miss the pkb.

I will be moving to America in early 2020, meaning I'm going to need to go back to my KeyOne as the Evolve doesn't work on US networks.

So, I have decided to refurb my KeyOne and prepare it for use again in 2020. I suspect it's going to be quite an outdated device by then, but I really don't care as long as it still works.

I have purchased:

- Replacement keyboard
    - Replacement battery
    - Replacement back cover

I figure replacing the battery will be important, as it has been charged hundreds of times since I bought it. I'm assuming this might help with the general running of the device as well, right? I notice the keyone has been running a little hot in recent months and not getting as much out of a charge as I used to.

My main question, really, is if there is anything else I should be looking at? It would be nice to pick up the phone again in early 2020 and have it run as smoothly as possible.

Is there any thermal paste in there that I need to be looking at replacing? Any other steps I could take that would help it run smoothly?

I've noticed a fair few people on here saying they miss their BE and consider it a better option compared to the Key2 LE even in 2019. I think I'm inclined to agree. I very nearly bought an LE, but didn't want to lose the capacative pkb. The BE is pretty much my ideal device.

Cheers!
    Which PRD is your KEYone that you’re refurbishing?
    09-22-19 08:38 PM
    Which PRD is your KEYone that you’re refurbishing?
    Oh, I don't actually know. Not sure what that is. I hope it's not going to affect whether the parts I purchased will work!
    09-22-19 08:40 PM
    Oh, I don't actually know. Not sure what that is. I hope it's not going to affect whether the parts I purchased will work!
    No but it will tell you how good the band compatibility is for your device with possible carrier you choose. Also, the NA PRD-039 had become pretty well priced especially for a 4/64 device. It was simply alternate means to an end.
    09-22-19 08:44 PM
    No but it will tell you how good the band compatibility is for your device with possible carrier you choose. Also, the NA PRD-039 had become pretty well priced especially for a 4/64 device. It was simply alternate means to an end.
    Ok, so I did *#837837# on my KeyOne and it gave me:

Product Name: BBB100-2
    Hardware version: PRD-63117-035
    CU Ref: PRD-63117-035
    09-22-19 08:45 PM
    No paste involved.
    09-22-19 11:44 PM
    No paste involved.
    Thanks! I did wonder. I'm not sure why my KeyOne is running hot, then. Perhaps a new battery might help things. Not sure why it would but, you never know.
    09-23-19 06:28 AM
    PRD is in BlackBerry Support Center app on KEYᵒⁿᵉ
    09-24-19 10:30 AM
    my KEYᵒⁿᵉ was hot and finally the battery blew up like a balloon and popped the back plate open... new battery is cool and fine now...
    09-24-19 10:33 AM
    I would think about replacing the USB port too. My KeyOne has been running hot too, lately, but I know the reason -- a charging cable shorted out. It also damaged the USB port.

[Edit to Add] Actually let me retract the above advice. I just got back from the repair shop. The technician advised against replacing the USB port. Apparently it requires a dozen or more soldering points in half a centimeter of space, near to highly sensitive and somewhat crucial communication components, so is a high-risk operation. He said he will only do it in a phone no longer taking a charge.

Interestingly he said the phone running hot is a motherboard problem, not a battery one. All the juice runs through one component on the motherboard, which handles it less well with age.
    Last edited by enthused; 09-27-19 at 07:00 AM.
    09-24-19 02:39 PM