My BlackBerry has recently started demanding me to let it connect to 'park.above.com' which is what I believe to be a dead website, as I checked it out on a spare iOS device that I had lying around (it just redirected me somewhere else). Is there a way to make sure this doesn't happen again, and it never tries to connect?

Thanks
    07-06-19 03:52 AM
    My BlackBerry has recently started demanding me to let it connect to 'park.above.com' which is what I believe to be a dead website, as I checked it out on a spare iOS device that I had lying around (it just redirected me somewhere else). Is there a way to make sure this doesn't happen again, and it never tries to connect?

Thanks
    What is trying to connect? An app? Your browser?
    07-06-19 08:59 AM
    What is trying to connect? An app? Your browser?
    I'm not sure. It's a pop-up that'll appear anywhere, including the home screen. I'll try and replicate what it says here:

"park.above.com
    • Unverifiable Cert Chain
    • Expired Cert Chain

Revocation Status:
    Unknown
    Trust Status:
    Not Trusted
    Expiration Date:
    Tue 12 Mar 2019 12:17:28 AM
    Certificate Type:
    X509
    Public Key Type:
    RSA 4096
    Subject:
    CN=park.above.com
    Issuer:
    CN=Let's Encrypt Authority X3
    O=Let's Encrypt
    C=US
    Serial Number:
    037A 67A3 D28A AAC0 CE94 C004 744D 3DB5 FB5B
    Key Usage:
    Digital Signature
    Key Encipherment
    Server Authentication
    Client Authentication
    Signature Algorithm:
    RSA)PKCS1/SHA256
    SHA1 Thumbprint:
    33F4 585C A225 85AC 919D 1359 56C6 D134 4B6F 6599
    MD5 Thumbprint:
    8A92 DFB9 78E1 4BFE 079E 917E 217F 0965"

That's the contents of the popup window, in its entirety. I don't understand certificate signing, so it's all gibberish to me.
    Whatever park.above.com is, I'd rather it not connect if the certificate is expired.

Edit: Through the Wayback Machine, I can see it was called Wsearch.net from 2009 to a certain point in the future. Here's the WM link: http://web.archive.org/web/200912070...ark.above.com/
    Last edited by Shadowbolt; 07-06-19 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Provided extra information
    07-06-19 11:29 AM

I'm not sure. It's a pop-up that'll appear anywhere, including the home screen. I'll try and replicate what it says here:

CN=Let's Encrypt Authority X3
    O=Let's Encrypt
    There are no certificates in BBOS devices for Let's Encrypt -- and those Let's Encrypt certificates are in a newer format than the device can handle. They might not actually be expired.

In any case, it's likely that there's either an app or a tab open in your browser that wants to connect to that URL address.

I'd check the browser tabs and close them all. If that didn't work, I'd recommend uninstalling apps one by one to track down the culprit through trial and error.
    Shadowbolt likes this.
    07-06-19 11:46 AM
    I'm going through my apps now, one by one, and slowly deleting them after a reboot to check which is causing the problem.
    07-06-19 11:59 AM
    There are no certificates in BBOS devices for Let's Encrypt -- and those Let's Encrypt certificates are in a newer format than the device can handle. They might not actually be expired.

In any case, it's likely that there's either an app or a tab open in your browser that wants to connect to that URL address.

I'd check the browser tabs and close them all. If that didn't work, I'd recommend uninstalling apps one by one to track down the culprit through trial and error.
    Okay, I've uninstalled every single app aside from Opera Mini (which was installed after the problem started) and it's still happening. The BB Browser's tabs are empty, and it's still happening. Whatever it is, it's really, really annoying me now.

Edit: I forgot that I had a... dubious theme installed from BBW. Removed that, will observe the phone as it's used. I'll tell you whether it was the problem or not.
    Last edited by Shadowbolt; 07-06-19 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Extra information added
    07-06-19 12:28 PM
    Edit: I forgot that I had a... dubious theme installed from BBW. Removed that, will observe the phone as it's used. I'll tell you whether it was the problem or not.
    Well that would be an interesting case of an app unnecessarily phoning home...

Posted via CB10
    07-06-19 01:42 PM
    Well that would be an interesting case of an app unnecessarily phoning home...

Posted via CB10
    I can confirm that it was in fact that theme that was left installed by accident. It hasn't appeared since it was uninstalled. I'm inclined to agree with you, too - it's an interesting case. If I remember correctly, when it was installed it asked permission for Connectivity and Advanced Capabilities. Out of caution, I never gave it the permission to do anything that came under advanced capabilities, I think, but I could be wrong. It was called 'Rainy Day' in BlackBerry World and was listed as rainy_day theme in the BB application manager. Weird.

Thanks for the help.
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    07-06-19 01:56 PM
    Thanks for the help.
    No problem. Glad the mystery is solved!
    07-06-19 07:03 PM