I found out that space black version has all the bands needed for verizon, and found one that was unlocked. Unfortunately for me, I'm not sure if it will be approved by verizon, unless anyone has tested it by now. My dad bought it for me as a gift from eBay, but it'll suck if I can't use it. It should be here by next week. And hes not tech savvy, so he'll get upset that I'd want to change it for something else even if I did explain it. He's old fashioned in that way, so I leave it be. I'm just wondering is all. If it can't work, and instead of selling it I'll put it in with my growing blackberry collection
    Last edited by Jtmwhat; 05-25-19 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Changed my mind :p
    05-24-19 10:23 PM
    It'll need a CDMA antennae in order for it to work with Verizon. Do you know if the phone he bought you has a CDMA antennae?
    05-25-19 07:54 AM
    I believe the "space black" was/is the AT&T variant. Which is great in that it will be updated to Oreo and the April security patch. I know it would function perfectly well on T-Mobile. I am unfortunately not sure about Verizon. I thought Verizon was doing away with CDMA stuff. Any Verizon experts out there using any other Keyone's (Space Black or Black Edition) beside the specific silver CDMA version?
    05-25-19 07:59 AM
    It'll need a CDMA antennae in order for it to work with Verizon. Do you know if the phone he bought you has a CDMA antennae?
    I looked on the blackberry website and read that all keyones support CDMA for 3g and 2g.
    05-25-19 08:11 AM
    You could try a CDMA-less activation, as described in the Key2LE forum. Or if you have a Key2LE on Verizon or access to one, you could try the LE SIM in your K1 or activate a new SIM in the LE and see if it works in the K1.

No idea if any of that would work.
    05-25-19 09:11 AM
    You could try a CDMA-less activation, as described in the Key2LE forum. Or if you have a Key2LE on Verizon or access to one, you could try the LE SIM in your K1 or activate a new SIM in the LE and see if it works in the K1.

No idea if any of that would work.
    I'll see what will happen next week when it comes in. I really don't see a reason for it not to work honestly. If anyone else has any tips or ideas let me know!! Thank you.
    05-25-19 12:23 PM
    On my K2 Silver (NA variant) it shows these options for connection. Is WCDMA not what your looking for?Will any unlocked blackberry Keyone work with verizon?-screenshot_20190525-123858.jpeg
    05-25-19 02:41 PM
    On my K2 Silver (NA variant) it shows these options for connection. Is WCDMA not what your looking for?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190525-123858.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	444556
    Yes that's what I'll need for verizon!! But the question is, does the keyone space black version have those settings???
    05-25-19 04:17 PM
    Yes that's what I'll need for verizon!! But the question is, does the keyone space black version have those settings???
    I was always under the impression that the Space Black Edition was made specifically for Verizon.
    05-25-19 11:30 PM
    I was always under the impression that the Space Black Edition was made specifically for Verizon.
    How? It's an ATT exclusive phone, unless it's unlocked, haha.
    05-26-19 12:54 AM
    How? It's an ATT exclusive phone, unless it's unlocked, haha.
    Ah, yes! You're correct! It was for AT&T! My bad. So, in that case, I sincerely doubt that phone that was purchased for you will work on Verizon.
    05-26-19 05:00 PM
    The AT&T Space Black KEYone is made specifically AT&T carrier locked and optimized for AT&T network. If you unlock the device it becomes usable on T-Mobile but you don’t get the updates.

I believe the device can partly function on VZW but only with a CDMAless SIM card and you won’t have optimized device LTE band wise. The VZW KEYone is your best choice for now but that will go away with CDMA also going away.

There really isn’t a best KEYone for VZW in longer term. Best idea would be a Key2 LE for now.
    05-26-19 09:09 PM
    what is your PRD #? when the device comes, go to

support Center > Device Info > CU Reference Number

my GUESS is that it will partly work. the voice coverage will be over the traditional LTE/UMTS standards, where VZ has it deployed and functional.

you may get some dead spots / coverage gaps where your VZ friends do not.

give it a shot and see.
    05-26-19 11:13 PM
    for years Verizon branded CDMA phones worked for GSM... a family member has a Droid Mini Android 4.4 and it works great on ATT and in Europe for talk and data...
    05-27-19 09:31 PM
    The AT&T Space Black KEYone is made specifically AT&T carrier locked and optimized for AT&T network. If you unlock the device it becomes usable on T-Mobile but you don’t get the updates.

I believe the device can partly function on VZW but only with a CDMAless SIM card and you won’t have optimized device LTE band wise. The VZW KEYone is your best choice for now but that will go away with CDMA also going away.

There really isn’t a best KEYone for VZW in longer term. Best idea would be a Key2 LE for now.
    I hope you're right! Thank you for your feedback. And yeah, they won't let me activate my bold and curve anymore. I think a lot of 4G phones will be okay, since a lot of them are universal, like iPhone and Samsung. I'm sure att still allows older phones.... My SIM is a verizon prepaid, I got it back in 2018.
    @IceCreamPlz

I'm hoping it will be tomorrow. And what's this PRD #? Never heard of that. And yeah, verizon already limits prepaid so it probably won't be different. I'd kinda like to try it out, maybe verizon is opening up their byop policies these days. The phone is old, so I'm sure some person tested it to have it approved. Just couldn't find any information. Someone could use their IMEI on their byop page and see if it is supported too. Unfortunately I don't have it at the moment obviously

RleeSimon, yeah, but its strange to see gsm people want verizon phones. Y'all get the bigger catalog than us, for now.
    05-27-19 10:44 PM
    I got the phone today! What a beauty. I stuck my verizon SIM card in and got service!it picked up my phone number too. Big problem now. Service is going in and out, the data will come on then go back to no service. Since it worked with my SIM, there must be settings I need to configure? Thank you for the help
    05-29-19 02:59 PM
    Okay, so the service shows but then goes off. The Verizon logo disappears but the 4g lte shows. Weird
    Attached Thumbnails Will any unlocked blackberry Keyone work with verizon?-screenshot_20190529-150606.jpg  
    05-29-19 03:10 PM
    Okay, so the service shows but then goes off. The Verizon logo disappears but the 4g lte shows. Weird
    This is the part where your device isn’t VZW certified and missing CDMA bands. Going into VZW store and requesting your line be switched to CDMAless may keep your account service active but you still may be missing optimized service in every aspect.
    05-31-19 08:24 PM

The K1 will continue working on Verizon after they retire CDMA. I'll use LTE only like the rest.
    06-02-19 05:52 PM
    The K1 will continue working on Verizon after they retire CDMA. I'll use LTE only like the rest.
    Does the VZW certified KEYone CDMA version have all the VZW LTE bands? Does it just need to be setup with CDMAless SIM card? If so, just switch over now right?
    06-02-19 07:06 PM
    Does the VZW certified KEYone CDMA version have all the VZW LTE bands? Does it just need to be setup with CDMAless SIM card? If so, just switch over now right?
    Of course it will work on Verizon LTE. What indication is there that they're going to cut everyone with a pre-2019 phone off or make them jump through hoops to keep using an LTE phone?

It's not a great idea to switch over now if you don't need to because there are still rural areas with 3G or lower. You don't want to lose coverage there unless you have to.

I'm interested in trying a CDMAless device to test what the network looks like without CDMA in the places I travel.
    06-02-19 08:24 PM
    Of course it will work on Verizon LTE. What indication is there that they're going to cut everyone with a pre-2019 phone off or make them jump through hoops to keep using an LTE phone?

It's not a great idea to switch over now if you don't need to because there are still rural areas with 3G or lower. You don't want to lose coverage there unless you have to.

I'm interested in trying a CDMAless device to test what the network looks like without CDMA in the places I travel.
    I’m not sure that answered my question if the device has ALL the necessary LTE bands since the phone relies on CDMA for coverage now for certain bands. No carriers make you jump through hoops for an older phone, just make it easy to buy new phone. I missed where VZW won the humanitarian Nonprofit Corp of the year award.

As far as testing, switch your coverage to LTE in your settings and verify coverage or lack thereof in the areas you travel.

Again, you won’t get accurate results if you’re missing LTE bands and have CDMA radios turned off.
    06-03-19 06:41 AM
    I’m not sure that answered my question if the device has ALL the necessary LTE bands since the phone relies on CDMA for coverage now for certain bands. No carriers make you jump through hoops for an older phone, just make it easy to buy new phone. I missed where VZW won the humanitarian Nonprofit Corp of the year award.

As far as testing, switch your coverage to LTE in your settings and verify coverage or lack thereof in the areas you travel.

Again, you won’t get accurate results if you’re missing LTE bands and have CDMA radios turned off.
    The Vzw KEYone has all the necessary LTE bands for CDMA-less use on Verizon. It has bands 2, 4, 5 and 13. Band 13 is the backbone of the Vzw LTE network. Bands 2 and 5 are being transitioned from CDMA frequency use to LTE -- the Vzw K1 supports those frequencies via CDMA and LTE.

The only Vzw LTE band that the Vzw K1 doesn't have is 66, and will likely not get a software update to support it. Band 66 is not necessary, however.
    06-03-19 09:17 AM
    The Vzw KEYone has all the necessary LTE bands for CDMA-less use on Verizon. It has bands 2, 4, 5 and 13. Band 13 is the backbone of the Vzw LTE network. Bands 2 and 5 are being transitioned from CDMA frequency use to LTE -- the Vzw K1 supports those frequencies via CDMA and LTE.

The only Vzw LTE band that the Vzw K1 doesn't have is 66, and will likely not get a software update to support it. Band 66 is not necessary, however.
    I’ve always thought radios were CDMA, GSM or LTE so that software for bands was never the issue but specifically hardware radios. Is this wrong?
    06-03-19 12:34 PM
    I’ve always thought radios were CDMA, GSM or LTE so that software for bands was never the issue but specifically hardware radios. Is this wrong?
    Band 4 is a subset of Band 66 so a software update may or may not be all that is needed to add 66. As I said, not likely. The Key2 and Key2 LE both include Band 66 capability out of the box.
    06-03-19 01:07 PM