Hi,

I am considering rebuying a Blackberry Bold 9780. I am not a technological person AT ALL (you have no idea) and I really really liked that phone back in the days (I don't know how many phones I've had but that one has been my favorite by far). Basically, what I would like to know is if they still make them, and if they do, could I still use Telegram, Instagram and WhatsApp using the 9780?. Those are the apps I use the most, everything else is pretty much unnecessary for me... Other than making and receiving calls, that's basically it. Thank you in advance.

Btw, I don't speak "OS... MB... Tech-ish" language or anything (wish I could, don't get me wrong), so my question might sound pretty stupid to most of you. Sorry about that. Here I am, a 25yo who doesn't like technology (because I don't get it) but is forced to use some to get by nowadays... Anyway, thanks once again!

*I currently own a Samsung J6 (just... for reference...), (Yes, I read that from the box)... 'Gonna slowly walk away now... Okay, bye!
    03-23-19 11:04 PM
    Hi,

I am considering rebuying a Blackberry Bold 9780. I am not a technological person AT ALL (you have no idea) and I really really liked that phone back in the days (I don't know how many phones I've had but that one has been my favorite by far). Basically, what I would like to know is if they still make them, and if they do, could I still use Telegram, Instagram and WhatsApp using the 9780?. Those are the apps I use the most, everything else is pretty much unnecessary for me... Other than making and receiving calls, that's basically it. Thank you in advance.

Btw, I don't speak "OS... MB... Tech-ish" language or anything (wish I could, don't get me wrong), so my question might sound pretty stupid to most of you. Sorry about that. Here I am, a 25yo who doesn't like technology (because I don't get it) but is forced to use some to get by nowadays... Anyway, thanks once again!

*I currently own a Samsung J6 (just... for reference...), (Yes, I read that from the box)... 'Gonna slowly walk away now... Okay, bye!
    Unfortunately Whatsapp, Instagram and Telegram do not work on the 9780. You may try with a BB Q10 or a Classic.
    03-24-19 03:50 AM
    Unfortunately Whatsapp, Instagram and Telegram do not work on the 9780. You may try with a BB Q10 or a Classic.
    And, just to add... no, they don't even make the Bold anymore.

Nor do they still make the Q10 or Classic. You might still find a new in box old stock somewhere, but that's the best you could hope for.

Assuming you're looking for "new". Otherwise, eBay is your friend.
    03-24-19 07:36 AM
    Your best bet is sticking with the J6.

Pre-Android BlackBerry devices, especially ones as old as the 9780, have little to no capability to run most apps, the best case scenario being some janky Android port, and that's still too new for the 9780. Moreover, even if you were to buy a 9780, you've only got until the end of December before BlackBerry declares their old hardware as end of life and washes their hands of it. And since the 9780 is extra-old, it also would need BlackBerry Internet Service and good sub-LTE networks, assuming your carrier hasn't thrown them into the ash heap of history.
    03-24-19 08:04 AM
    Hi,

To follow up on what the others have said, if you're looking for a keyboard smartphone, want Telegram, Instagram and WhatsApp, and you're not a techie, then a Key2 or Key2 LE might be a solid choice for you. The downside is that the Key2 models are significantly larger than the Bold 9780.

I still use a Bold 9900 and the list of what works is short and ever-dwindling. It's basically a feature phone now, with calling, texting (and maybe picture messaging, depending on your carrier), music and podcasts, and a small array of internet-connected apps. Security certificate issues mean that fewer and fewer apps connect each month.

In addition, the BlackBerry Internet Service that most people depend on for connectivity is shutting down at the end of this year, and cell phone companies will be shutting down their 3G networks over the next few years. Some have already scheduled the shutdowns, especially in the US. So even if you are willing to live with the limitations, the devices won't work for much longer.
    brookie229 likes this.
    03-24-19 10:04 AM
    i have a blackberry bold 9780, that i bought new on amazon, i use it mostly for music, twitter and zello, u can still download some apps from the appworld, but af the end of the year thats it no more, now, perhaps in the future u can still manually install the jad files
    05-19-19 11:13 AM
    I believe the OP moved on based on their User ID status.
    05-19-19 02:08 PM