Hello guys,

I spent about 3 weeks with BlackBerry Passport as my primary device. I also have iphone 7 and Asus Zenfone 5Z but I didn't use them for that time. So here is my short summary of my experience with Passport:

Applications:

- browser: I use native browser and almost all websites works good. In reserve is Kiwi Browser;
    - Facebook/Messenger: I'm using only Messenger Lite for Android and it works good;
    - Twitter: tried to use native, alternatives from BB World and Twitter for Android but there were problems with them. The most annoying issue was crashing after open links. Now Im using TweetCaster for Android and works really good;
    - Navigation: maps.me and "Maps" from BB World (with google maps). Both work good;
    - Bank application: Im not using bank app only via website. My bank offer normal and mobile version of website (for mobile I use native browser, for normal Kiwi Browser);
    - e-mail: integrated with BB Hub and second app "Mail for Gmail" from BB World.

Pros (from my perspective):
    - better experience of browsing sites and reading articles than on other phones;
    - best quality of phone calls;
    - QWERTY which is important for me (but I think that KeyOne has better keyboard);

Cons (from my perspective):
    - bad experience of using Youtube or watching any videos;
    - battery: it's enought for 1,5 day. I thought it will be better (2-2,5 days). Its still better than Iphone 7 but the same as Asus Zenfone 5Z (which has more than 6 inch screen and FHD+ display). Maybe its because of few android apps (tiwtter, messenger lite). When I was using KeyOne it held for 2 days.

Passport in 2019?
    In my opinion it's possible to use this phone as primary device only if you need basic activity like calling, browsing websites, mailing, chatting. For me BlacckBerry Passport is enought but only because I have other devices like PC, TV and tablet. Without them I couldn't use Passport as mainly entertainment device.
    rarsen and akosjuhasz like this.
    02-16-19 04:30 AM
    For videos try supertube. As for the battery I normally have battery saving mode on and only use wifi or mobile data when I need to. The passport is still a pleasure to use.

Posted via my Awesome passport
    02-16-19 05:15 AM
    For videos try supertube. As for the battery I normally have battery saving mode on and only use wifi or mobile data when I need to. The passport is still a pleasure to use.

Posted via my Awesome passport
    I'd rather have to give the Passport an extra charging shot of 10 minutes a day than have its performance throttled 24/7 by battery saving mode. It's already an almost 5 year old phone, and needs all the horsepower it can get.
    02-16-19 09:01 AM
    I'd rather have to give the Passport an extra charging shot of 10 minutes a day than have its performance throttled 24/7 by battery saving mode. It's already an almost 5 year old phone, and needs all the horsepower it can get.
    I agree, but a useful middle way is to use the "front down - save energy" setting. At work when not using my phone I just put it front down - no need to think.

Posted via CB10
    conite likes this.
    02-16-19 09:22 AM
    I agree, but a useful middle way is to use the "front down - save energy" setting. At work when not using my phone I just put it front down - no need to think.

Posted via CB10
    I tried this for a bit, but couldn't deal with not seeing my notifications.
    02-16-19 09:30 AM
    That's the drawback

Posted via CB10
    02-16-19 09:32 AM
    Battery life.
    Yes, some Android apps can be a problem.
    Suggest to use bedside mode for the night (unless you use it already).
    You might check also location services, don't they consume too much?

Youtube and videos.
    YT still works in desktop mode but Supertube is more practical solution, indeed.
    There should be no issue with local videos, native player is OK.
    02-16-19 04:17 PM
    Battery life.

Suggest to use bedside mode for the night (unless you use it already).
    How does bedside mode save battery?
    02-16-19 05:15 PM
    It's throttles the CPU.
    02-16-19 06:29 PM
    OP, is your PP new as you never had before? or hand me down that battery already 5yr old? (by the way, my z30 battery is showing its age - I have to put it on saving mode). thx for the good review (update of what is working for BB10).
    02-16-19 06:49 PM
    Hello guys,

I spent about 3 weeks with BlackBerry Passport as my primary device...

Passport in 2019?
    In my opinion it's possible to use this phone as primary device only if you need basic activity like calling, browsing websites, mailing, chatting. For me BlacckBerry Passport is enough but only because I have other devices like PC, TV and tablet. Without them I couldn't use Passport as mainly entertainment device.
    -Curious. Youtube experience is fine in 2019. Wonder why your's is bad. What did you experience? Did you check your browser settings, to see which setting might have affected the experience?
    ....specifically under: [SETTINGS][DEVELOPERS TOOLS] and/or [PRIVACY AND SECURITY]...... sometimes clearing [COOKIES AND OTHER DATA] fixes some non-response issues...presumably by some kind of settings a website has set on your browser.
    02-17-19 02:49 AM
    By default it lowers brightness and turn off notifications. And you can customise it and to limit CPU performance and to turn off location services and data services.
    When watching battery usage in device monitor one can see that the battery consumption graph is "flatter" when the bedside mode is activated.

There is one strange bug related to location services. I have experienced it on 2 of 3 BB10 devices. Location services if activated in the settings suddenly begin to consume too much in the sleeping mode. Only in the sleeping mode. The only remedy for me was to deactivate location services and to use them just when needed.
    02-17-19 05:47 AM
    By the way, about the bedside mode.
    Green areas on this picture = bedside mode.
    Time period between is when the phone was mostly doing nothing besides the Blend connection and lying on the desk inside the case with the screen off.
    I think the difference in power consumption is obvious.
    3 weeks with Passport-img_20190217_185109.jpg

From Wizard QZ-7000 to Passport SE...what a journey
    02-17-19 11:17 AM
    .... Without them I couldn't use Passport as mainly entertainment device.
    That's odd, I've not had any issues watching YouTube on mine.
    In fact I've been trialing a Sony Xperia, Windows Lumia and a Z30 just watching videos at night.
    Best screen, by far, is the Lumia but in terms of the whole usage experience of getting on YouTube via the browser, navigating, watching videos, Z30 wins hands down. Lumia has the occasional glitch where it zooms in on a portion of the video briefly and randomly. On Android, it's just a bit clunky (maybe that's why they push the app). YouTube using BB10 via browser is quite nice and I prefer it to any of the others, app or no app.

Same experience with Passport of course, other than the screen size/shape.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-19 05:01 PM