I'm looking ahead for the days, where Blackberry Protect will be shut down.

The issue is that according to what I read*, on OS. 10.3.2 and newer Blackberry Protect is designed to turn on automatically.

*(Google: "Do you want to turn off the anti-theft feature". A help.blackberry stored preview of a document shows first with says accordingly).

Indeed I was able to confirm this. Blackberry Protect does turn from off to on at every restart of the device.

So the question is, if Blackberry Protect were to shut down, what would happen?

To find out, I experimented a bit. After turning Blackberry Protect off, I put the phone in airplane mode and the restarted. Once the phone has restarted, I found Blackberry Protect checked-on position and trying to connect. I unchecked Blackberry Protect and got the password window presented. I entered my BBID password and Blackberry Protect has turned off, WHILE still in airplane mode.

This gives me some hope. Because it appears that the BBID password is stored some wehere within the phone and if Blackberry Protect can not connect to the server, then it may still be able to authenticate the password from somewhere within the device.

Following that thought, the phone may not get bricked once Blackberry Protect is gone.

What are your thoughts?
    01-21-19 12:48 AM

The issue is that according to what I read*, on OS. 10.3.2 and newer Blackberry Protect is designed to turn on automatically.

*(Google: "Do you want to turn off the anti-theft feature". A help.blackberry stored preview of a document shows first with says accordingly).

Indeed I was able to confirm this. Blackberry Protect does turn from off to on at every restart of the device.

To find out, I experimented a bit. After turning Blackberry Protect off, I put the phone in airplane mode and the restarted. Once the phone has restarted, I found Blackberry Protect checked-on position and trying to connect. I unchecked Blackberry Protect and got the password window presented. I entered my BBID password and Blackberry Protect has turned off, WHILE still in airplane mode.

This gives me some hope. Because it appears that the BBID password is stored some wehere within the phone and if Blackberry Protect can not connect to the server, then it may still be able to authenticate the password from somewhere within the device.

Following that thought, the phone may not get bricked once Blackberry Protect is gone.

What are your thoughts?
    Impressed with your enthusiasm however no one knows what will happen at the end of this year and therefore any comment or thought is pure speculation. I am going to enjoy using my BB10 device for the rest of the year and then decide what to do dependant on what happens next year .
    01-21-19 01:12 AM
    I agree. But finding a brick at the end of life VS having data migration alternatives is a better scenario.

Of course preparing for the worst, one could backup the phone daily from now on, but unless it is an automatic backup, a repeated daily manual backup routine may get old after a while.
    01-21-19 01:18 AM

What are your thoughts?
    It seems to be stored at least for a while. When I have my Passports lying for a longer period unused and thus not connected to bb servers it use to ask me to log in with my bbid and fetch my records from the server.

However there are some more threads about this, where different possibilities have been tried out thoroughly.

AFAIK there is no problem to turn off bb protect but I think you also have to turn it off on server side. But others knows this better.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-19 01:43 AM
    I agree. But finding a brick at the end of life VS having data migration alternatives is a better scenario.

Of course preparing for the worst, one could backup the phone daily from now on, but unless it is an automatic backup, a repeated daily manual backup routine may get old after a while.
    Life is too short to worry about it ...just use it , enjoy it as long as it lasts and then, when the time comes , with a sense of pride that we were able to use such a good OS, move on ....
    01-21-19 02:50 AM
    Life is too short to worry about it ...just use it , enjoy it as long as it lasts
    Yes, of course. But if there is something that you can easily do to make it last longer, then it would be a shame if you missed out on that. That is what I'm referring to.
    01-22-19 09:18 AM
    Same thing happens on my Classic, when I turn off BB Protect, after a reboot, Protect comes back on automatically.

However, the good news is, (as already mentioned here and on other threads), BB Protect can be turned off without being online. Which means even if their servers go offline from 2020, you can still turn off Protect, no worries.

Based on this, it seems very unlikely for bricking to occur.
    WES51 likes this.
    01-22-19 11:40 AM
    Based on this, it seems very unlikely for bricking to occur.
    Good news indeed.

Although, I just had a related thought -> what about Link? Once Link is provided with BBID and was able to authenticate it, would it be from there on able to backup and restore offline too?

Because as far as I know Link needs it's stored BBID to match that on the phone to be able to connect to the phone.
    01-22-19 12:13 PM
    Good news indeed.

Although, I just had a related thought -> what about Link? Once Link is provided with BBID and was able to authenticate it, would it be from there on able to backup and restore offline too?

Because as far as I know Link needs it's stored BBID to match that on the phone to be able to connect to the phone.
    You can't backup or restore without a BBID.

Also, BlackBerry Protect won't properly disable with a connection. The best way is to disable it on the device - wait a few minutes, then remove your device from Protect online.
    01-22-19 02:08 PM
    You can't backup or restore without a BBID.

Also, BlackBerry Protect won't properly disable with a connection. The best way is to disable it on the device - wait a few minutes, then remove your device from Protect online.
    I understand the can't backup/restore part without BBID. My question was rather if you can backup/restore with link that already has a BBID signed in on the past and subsequently went offline.

In other words does link authenticate BBID at every use or is it able to rely on it's previously entered (and hopefully internally saved) BBID?

As far as Blackberry Protect goes, I disabled it per your suggestion (according to one of your similar earlier posts to someone else), never the less, once I restart the phone, Blackberry Protect keeps re-creating an account and turning itself on.

The only way I found to avoid this is to put the phone into airplane mode before restarting. BUT even then after restart (and still in airplane mode), I subsequently find Blackberry Protect switched on and trying to connect. I have to deselect it and enter my Protect Password while offline and then go online again in order to avoid it creating another Blackberry Protect account.
    01-22-19 02:52 PM
    I understand the can't backup/restore part without BBID. My question was rather if you can backup/restore with link that already has a BBID signed in on the past and subsequently went offline.

In other words does link authenticate BBID at every use or is it able to rely on it's previously entered (and hopefully internally saved) BBID?

As far as Blackberry Protect goes, I disabled it per your suggestion (according to one of your similar earlier posts to someone else), never the less, once I restart the phone, Blackberry Protect keeps re-creating an account and turning itself on.

The only way I found to avoid this is to put the phone into airplane mode before restarting. BUT even then after restart (and still in airplane mode), I subsequently find Blackberry Protect switched on and trying to connect. I have to deselect it and enter my Protect Password while offline and then go online again in order to avoid it creating another Blackberry Protect account.
    Your device must have an active BBID which will authenticate against a backup file encoded with that same BBID.

As far as Protect is concerned, once you disable it on the device, make sure it actually worked. Wait a few minutes and go back into the Protect settings screen to confirm that it is still off.
    01-22-19 02:59 PM
    Your device must have an active BBID which will authenticate against a backup file encoded with that same BBID.
    Yes, I understand that.

The question is will this STILL work while both devices are taken offline (with PC and Blackberry aldready having established, identical BBIDs)?
    01-22-19 03:06 PM
    Yes, I understand that.

The question is will this STILL work while both devices are taken offline (with PC and Blackberry aldready having established, identical BBIDs)?
    No.
    01-22-19 03:09 PM
    one probably needs to remove the handset from the server first: https://blackberryid.blackberry.com or http://protect.blackberry.com/ ?
    01-22-19 03:20 PM
    No.
    This was a big discussion last year and was confirmed. The logic is simple. If an employee could do that he or she could restore a device AND ITS DATA after the BBID had been deactivated by the company's administrator.

The role of the BBID check is to confirm that the user is still valid before restoring data. The phone can be restored to a pristine state without connecting to the network if the user has the BBID login information for the device, but no data or BlackBerry-authenticated network access can be restored without re-validating the user's legitimacy via BlackBerry's servers.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-22-19 03:24 PM
    one probably needs to remove the handset from the server first: https://blackberryid.blackberry.com or http://protect.blackberry.com/ ?
    OK, but how do I backup my contacts then?

So far the only backup utilities that I know of are app based, from Blackberry World. Given via Blackberry World we will soon no longer be able access to those apps, what will restore the data then to the phone?
    01-22-19 03:42 PM
    OK, but how do I backup my contacts then?

So far the only backup utilities that I know of are app based, from Blackberry World. Given via Blackberry World we will soon no longer be able access to those apps, what will restore the data then to the phone?
    Sync contacts to a cloud/email service like Gmail so they're not tied down to one specific device.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-19 03:55 PM
    Sync contacts to a cloud/email service like Gmail so they're not tied down to one specific device.

Posted via CB10
    Is GMail Sync still supposed to work? I keep getting a message that contacts weren't added, try again next time.
    01-23-19 12:40 PM
    Is GMail Sync still supposed to work? I keep getting a message that contacts weren't added, try again next time.
    Me too! When I tried to setup my old Classic for my mom. On mine, previously configured, it works normal...

Posted via CB10
    01-23-19 01:45 PM
    Me too! When I tried to setup my old Classic for my mom. On mine, previously configured, it works normal...

Posted via CB10
    WES51, to directly answer your Link-related question from earlier: Link calls out to the BBID servers to authenticate every time it attempts a restore. Therefore if those go offline, Link will not be able to restore backups as the authentication check is a real-time process.

However, with that said, there are alternatives not requiring Blackberry World to backup one's data (with the exception of native BB10 app data), including Ultimate Backup by Runisoft. The Pro version is available directly from them and does not require one to use Blackberry World at all.

Also, as mentioned in the other thread, Gmail contact sync via the Hub is up and running; you just need to enter a URL manually.
    WES51 and hazmaju like this.
    01-23-19 11:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    hazmaju, as detailed on the other thread on this topic, this is actually working. Feel free to set up your old Classic for your mom as desired!
    WES51 and hazmaju like this.
    01-23-19 11:05 PM