Hey everyone a "little" question:
    I'm bored by my current phone (Redmi note 4) So I'll get myself a used Priv, simply because it looks amazing but I've read about heat problems and people solving it with tinfoil/copper sheets. Gonna do that too but my question is: can I also remove the metal/aluminium protection thing on the mainboard(on top of the cpu((and ram)) to directly "connect" the sheet/tinfoil to the processor with thermal paste? (instead of on top of the metal/aluminum protective thing) or is the chance higher to damage it that way?

Thanks in advance.
    (First post here, hope it isnt too long haha)
    01-14-19 07:33 PM
    From my testing (yes, 1 trial each isn't very scientific) heating doesn't actually affect performance on the PRIV, as crazy as it sounds. YMMV.

My testing:

Round 1: baseline, no extra cooling
    Charged to 75%, waited 30 mins for phone to cool off
    Temperature rose from 28 to 44

Round 2: with a case fan to cool it.
    Charged to 75%, waited 30 mins.
    Temperature went from 30 to 37.

The actual benchmark scores were essentially indistinguishable, around 74.5k each, and the cooled one actually did worse, but by less than 0.1%, so statistically negligible.

Conclusion: cooling didn't help my PRIV perform better. Again, YMMV.
    01-14-19 10:00 PM
    From my testing (yes, 1 trial each isn't very scientific) heating doesn't actually affect performance on the PRIV, as crazy as it sounds. YMMV.

My testing:

Round 1: baseline, no extra cooling
    Charged to 75%, waited 30 mins for phone to cool off
    Temperature rose from 28 to 44

Round 2: with a case fan to cool it.
    Charged to 75%, waited 30 mins.
    Temperature went from 30 to 37.

The actual benchmark scores were essentially indistinguishable, around 74.5k each, and the cooled one actually did worse, but by less than 0.1%, so statistically negligible.

Conclusion: cooling didn't help my PRIV perform better. Again, YMMV.
    Yeah but it throttles itself at a certain temp. and then it gets laggy and slower.
    01-15-19 12:14 PM
    don't do anything - add copper foil or other conductive media may impact signal. remove internal metallic layer may impact heat distribution and RF-EMI shielding. Just careful select your app properly and make sure nothing running in the background. IMHO. You brought Priv and take it as whole package - good with bad (heating is one of them).
    01-15-19 04:50 PM
    by the way, heat up and run slow is symptom, not cause - heat up due to something running extra in the background (usually, poorly executed app, like the ported one or chinese version that intended for droid handset with large memory), tight up resources that resulted slow execution of app you just opened up. in extreme case, it just "hang". if my understanding it correctly. Be aware your device limitation and use it wisely would be the best bet.
    Gerard62100 likes this.
    01-15-19 04:56 PM