Turns out my carrier has started turning on this feature now. They said you need Android 5.0 and be using Google's messaging app.
    My understanding of RCS is that the carrier needs to enable it and then after that any client which supports it should work immediately.

BB10 is supposed to support it (Joyn) but I've not been able to test yet, trying to track down anyone else who has confirmed RCS enabled (i.e. Not iPhones!). Anyone else been able to try this yet?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-09-19 02:10 PM
    All that stuff is too fragmented right now, and I wouldn't count on Joyn integration fully working BlackBerry 10. Carriers have been limiting the devices and profiles supported, and there hasn't been much mention of Joyn in North America since MetroPCS announced it years ago.
    01-09-19 03:05 PM
    Turns out my carrier has started turning on this feature now. They said you need Android 5.0 and be using Google's messaging app.
    My understanding of RCS is that the carrier needs to enable it and then after that any client which supports it should work immediately.

BB10 is supposed to support it (Joyn) but I've not been able to test yet, trying to track down anyone else who has confirmed RCS enabled (i.e. Not iPhones!). Anyone else been able to try this yet?

Doesn’t Android 5.0 requirements eliminate BB10 anyway?
    01-09-19 03:15 PM

EFats, if you actually NEED Android 5.0 Chuck is right and this would be an issue for BB10. If you can let me know (either here or in PM) your carrier and the app in question I'll see if I can test this for you, adjusting the app as needed.
    01-09-19 07:00 PM
    Someone would have to build a BB10 app that supports Chat.

So far, only Samsung Messages and Android Messages support it - neither of which will work on BB10.
    01-09-19 08:07 PM
    Doesn’t Android 5.0 requirements eliminate BB10 anyway?
    It doesn't need Android 5.0 in general. But if you're using an Android device and want to use RCS within Messages then it needs that. Goes back to what I said about the profiles being supported. In the case of BB10, the carriers would need to enable Joyn and the profiles that go along with that and I don't see that happening. Carriers and RCS partners have largely switched to the Universal Profile and I'm not sure BB10 was ever updated to support that.

tl;dr: Unless you live in a region where Joyn has been enabled - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_C..._Services#joyn, you're not likely to see it on BB10 and even if you are in one of those areas, I doubt the standards added in BB10 are up to date.
    01-09-19 08:09 PM
    My carrier has explicitly said they have enabled RCS. It shouldn't matter what OS or platform I'm using. But I didn't know about the profiles issue. I assumed RCS was RCS and being intended to replace SMS/MMS it would just work with anyone that is enabled.

Doesn't make much difference to me anyways as nearly everyone I know runs iPhone which does not have it.
    Just curious...It's hard enough to find anyone with confirmed RCS to test it on. Even my colleague with a shiny LG on the same carrier hasn't figured it out.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-19 10:05 PM
    My carrier has explicitly said they have enabled RCS. It shouldn't matter what OS or platform I'm using.
    Of course it matters. I'm not sure why you would think otherwise. Everything in tech has "minimum requirements" (even if they aren't explicitly stated), and tons of features aren't supported on tons of devices.

Like any new service, it's only going to be supported on newer devices, as they're the only ones who will be updated to support the Universal Profile that Google finally got everyone to agree on. That profile has only just recently become the standard, and that's great for new devices going forward, it's up to OEMs to go back to their older devices to enable and debug it on older devices - which we all know BB isn't going to do with BB10 (and a lot of manufacturers aren't going to do with older phones).
    01-10-19 05:27 PM
    Of course it matters. I'm not sure why you would think otherwise. Everything in tech has "minimum requirements" (even if they aren't explicitly stated), and tons of features aren't supported on tons of devices.

Like any new service, it's only going to be supported on newer devices, as they're the only ones who will be updated to support the Universal Profile that Google finally got everyone to agree on. That profile has only just recently become the standard, and that's great for new devices going forward, it's up to OEMs to go back to their older devices to enable and debug it on older devices - which we all know BB isn't going to do with BB10 (and a lot of manufacturers aren't going to do with older phones).
    Do you mean my Startac phone won't get 5G?

RCS sounds great... will give everyone an iMessage like experience. But getting all carrier's to support the same UP sounds like it's going to be awhile.

Verizon has put a lot into their own messaging app... they (like Apple) probable aren't as excited about full compatibility as they should be.
    01-11-19 10:05 AM
    The motivation of Carriers to work toward working out RCS to the extent that allows the passing of RCS messages between Joyn and Universal Profile clients seems small.
    01-11-19 02:04 PM