It's beginning to flag battery wise and the lack of apps is also grating after two years. As a person who gets lost in their own back yard, Waze, citymapper and Google maps are apps I need. I cannot bear the thought of a ticky tacky Alcatel/android BB and am prepared to give vkb another go after the joy of the pkb.

So ladies and gentlemen... I am running in an LG V20.

Pros:

- Obviously apps, I'd forgotten how brilliant they are. The PP majors on productivity but for what I do having an excellent scanner, dictation and call recording apps and full access to Google and onedrive suites really helps. As well as cool ways of getting tailored content. It's like going from an Amish community to a rock and roll shared house. But see below, this is double edged, you rarely wake up with a stonking hangover and bleeding nostrils in the Amish place.

- camera, even on a two year old model, kicks arse on a *huge* scale

- battery - the inboard 3300 unit is crap but when it flags you just stick a new one in. The 6600 perfine will run the v20 nicely for a day and a half

- Price, £210 new, blows the BlackBerry alcatels right out of the water

- Music - on-board dac isn't as life changing as I had hoped but it is pretty damned good in partnership with Sennheiser momentums

- Wacky: I love the top screen. It is also rootable

Cons:

- Poor reception! The PP phone is rock solid in all signal conditions. The above is all v nice but cold comfort when the signal falls off and you drop calls. This is a recognised problem with the V20 and there are fixes but it's a poor show for a former flagship. At home/work (I am 80% home based) it is reliable if I am bluetoothing which I do for work. It doesn't like moving around too much indoors though (ffs!)

- Sound: the speakers and phone call audio quality are unsurpassed on the PP.

- Keyboard: I'm learning to love the swiftkey and weirdly use its predictive features much more than the (equally good) PP's. But as we all know, nothing beats the PP keyboard.

- Apps: I now spend far too long fannying around on social media apps and playing solitaire. And less time reading books and properly relaxing. I need to get a grip of this.

- Wow factor: I don't really care much about phone aesthetics but generally, the PP looks and feels iconic in a way a slab never could

- Durability: the LG is military grade tested and drop proof but does not have the T34 tank in the hand feel of the PP.

Early days, I will I think run the V20 for a couple of years and see if Alcatel raises its game. That said I work in a similar zone with phones as with cars i.e. a low price point for an old and quirky model that's either been around the block a few times or lacks the cutting edge features. On that basis I recommend the V20 with the caveat that call reception is about 85% versus the PP's 99%, in the areas I operate in anyway. While you can weld an extra antenna in and it works better in a case with the metal back off, it is a source of daily annoyance.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-18 03:03 AM
    It's beginning to flag battery wise and the lack of apps is also grating after two years. As a person who gets lost in their own back yard, Waze, citymapper and Google maps are apps I need. I cannot bear the thought of a ticky tacky Alcatel/android BB and am prepared to give vkb another go after the joy of the pkb.

Pros:

- Obviously apps, I'd forgotten how brilliant they are. The PP majors on productivity but for what I do having an excellent scanner, dictation and call recording apps and full access to Google and onedrive suites really helps. As well as cool ways of getting tailored content. It's like going from an Amish community to a rock and roll shared house. But see below, this is double edged, you rarely wake up with a stonking hangover and bleeding nostrils in the Amish place.

- battery - the inboard 3300 unit is crap but when it flags you just stick a new one in. The 6600 perfine will run the v20 nicely for a day and a half

- Music - on-board dac isn't as life changing as I had hoped but it is pretty damned good in partnership with Sennheiser momentums

Cons:

- Poor reception! The PP phone is rock solid in all signal conditions. The above is all v nice but cold comfort when the signal falls off and you drop calls. This is a recognised problem with the V20 and there are fixes but it's a poor show for a former flagship. At home/work (I am 80% home based) it is reliable if I am bluetoothing which I do for work. It doesn't like moving around too much indoors though (ffs!)

- Keyboard: I'm learning to love the swiftkey and weirdly use its predictive features much more than the (equally good) PP's. But as we all know, nothing beats the PP keyboard.

- Apps: I now spend far too long fannying around on social media apps and playing solitaire. And less time reading books and properly relaxing. I need to get a grip of this.

- Wow factor: I don't really care much about phone aesthetics but generally, the PP looks and feels iconic in a way a slab never could

- Durability: the LG is military grade tested and drop proof but does not have the T34 tank in the hand feel of the PP.

Early days, I will I think run the V20 for a couple of years and see if Alcatel raises its game. That said I work in a similar zone with phones as with cars i.e. a low price point for an old and quirky model that's either been around the block a few times or lacks the cutting edge features. On that basis I recommend the V20 with the caveat that call reception is about 85% versus the PP's 99%, in the areas I operate in anyway. While you can weld an extra antenna in and it works better in a case with the metal back off, it is a source of daily annoyance.

Posted via CB10
    Glad you found a slab you enjoy

Typed on an "Alcatel KEY2"
    11-15-18 03:23 AM
    Recently upgraded my wife from dying LG G4 to LG V30. No reception problems.

Ditto on wasting more time now that I've moved from Z10 to LG G7.
    11-15-18 07:15 PM

Pros:

Cons:

Posted via CB10
    https://forums.crackberry.com/genera...thread-260887/
    11-15-18 09:39 PM
    Whoops, thanks Conite. Another thing BlackBerry has over nonBB android is this excellent forum and mods :-)

Posted via CB10
    11-16-18 01:46 AM
    Whoops, thanks Conite. Another thing BlackBerry has over nonBB android is this excellent forum and mods :-)

Posted via CB10
    It's too bad you didn't give the KEY² a chance. As a former Passport SE user myself, I actually prefer typing on the KEYx devices.
    11-16-18 06:24 AM
    It's too bad you didn't give the KEY² a chance. As a former Passport SE user myself, I actually prefer typing on the KEYx devices.
    I briefly owned a PPSE as well, and I can definitely second that.

I'm SO much faster on the KEY2/LE keyboards than the 3 row of the Passport that requires touching the screen to get to anything other than the 26 letters of the alphabet.
    11-16-18 07:37 AM
    I briefly owned a PPSE as well, and I can definitely second that.

I'm SO much faster on the KEY2/LE keyboards than the 3 row of the Passport that requires touching the screen to get to anything other than the 26 letters of the alphabet.
    I'm the opposite. My favorite keyboard of all time is the Silver Passports. I'm faster on this phone than any other berry (I don't own the key2/LE yet).

The onscreen controls never hindered me, it actually helped, this device works flawless. The only other keyboard I was this fast and accurate on is the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-18 08:06 AM
    Thanks guys

I will probably get onto the K2 in due course. You will have noted that i'm not an early adopter.

In the meantime the PP is the only device now allowed in the bedroom.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-18 01:48 PM