Hi everyone.

I just got my BB q10 back after a relative had it for a couple of years. He had signed in with his own BB ID.

I turned off anti theft (or whatever it is called..)
    And then he deleted his account.

Now the phone asks for a password to a BB ID that doesn’t exist, I can’t wipe the phone as you need the BB ID password for that. I have no idea how to sign in with my own BB ID..

The phone company that I bought the phone from doesn’t exist anymore, I tried contacting BlackBerry but their customer services only helps with newer phones. What do I do?
    I’ve read about the factory reset thing, you type in the wrong password 10 times and then it should reset itself..
    but as of right now I can still use it without my own ID and without typing in the password to the other account that no longer exists (calls and texts) but I would like to be able to download apps etc so I don’t want to take any chances that could make the phone useless..

Any tips or tricks would be highly appreciated!
    11-08-18 02:34 PM
    Hi everyone.

I just got my BB q10 back after a relative had it for a couple of years. He had signed in with his own BB ID.

I turned off anti theft (or whatever it is called..)
    And then he deleted his account.

Now the phone asks for a password to a BB ID that doesn’t exist, I can’t wipe the phone as you need the BB ID password for that. I have no idea how to sign in with my own BB ID..

The phone company that I bought the phone from doesn’t exist anymore, I tried contacting BlackBerry but their customer services only helps with newer phones. What do I do?
    I’ve read about the factory reset thing, you type in the wrong password 10 times and then it should reset itself..
    but as of right now I can still use it without my own ID and without typing in the password to the other account that no longer exists (calls and texts) but I would like to be able to download apps etc so I don’t want to take any chances that could make the phone useless..

Any tips or tricks would be highly appreciated!
    You will likely own a brick if you reset.

What does it say when you go to the BlackBerry Protect screen in settings?
    11-08-18 03:28 PM
    It’s off. “Unable to connect to the BlackBerry protect service. Please try again later” and when I press cancel it goes back to the normal BlackBerry protect page. I don’t think I can turn it back on without the BB ID password?
    11-08-18 05:10 PM
    I can't test this, but, if BlackBerry Protect really is turned off, you ought to be able to wipe the phone and set it up as a new device. The phone is still asking for a BBID because that's how it was set up. I would suggest the following:

1. Confirm that BlackBerry Protect is turned off on the phone in Settings.

2. Have the previous owner attempt to login to their BlackBerry ID on the Web. (If they've forgotten them, their credentials can be recovered via email, if they still have access to the email account they used.)

3. If the previous owner can log in to BlackBerry Protect on the Web, confirm it's turned off there.

4. If the previous owner can recall or recover their BlackBerry ID credentials, try to use them to log in to the local phone and ensure that BlackBerry Protect is turned off.

5. When you are 100% sure that BlackBerry Protect is turned off, you should be able to wipe the phone.

I may be wrong, but if the previous owner really did turn off BlackBerry Protect and delete their account, you won't be able to do some if the above steps, but in that case, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to wipe the phone and set it up as a new phone with a new BBID.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    11-08-18 05:36 PM
    I can't test this, but, if BlackBerry Protect really is turned off, you ought to be able to wipe the phone and set it up as a new device. The phone is still asking for a BBID because that's how it was set up. I would suggest the following:

1. Confirm that BlackBerry Protect is turned off on the phone in Settings.

2. Have the previous owner attempt to login to their BlackBerry ID on the Web. (If they've forgotten them, their credentials can be recovered via email, if they still have access to the email account they used.)

3. If the previous owner can log in to BlackBerry Protect on the Web, confirm it's turned off there.

4. If the previous owner can recall or recover their BlackBerry ID credentials, try to use them to log in to the local phone and ensure that BlackBerry Protect is turned off.

5. When you are 100% sure that BlackBerry Protect is turned off, you should be able to wipe the phone.

I may be wrong, but if the previous owner really did turn off BlackBerry Protect and delete their account, you won't be able to do some if the above steps, but in that case, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to wipe the phone and set it up as a new phone with a new BBID.

The "previous owner" deleted the BBID.
    11-08-18 06:28 PM
    It’s off. “Unable to connect to the BlackBerry protect service. Please try again later” and when I press cancel it goes back to the normal BlackBerry protect page. I don’t think I can turn it back on without the BB ID password?
    It should be good to reset then. But leave room to be upset if it goes awry.
    11-08-18 06:29 PM
    That’s part of the problem.. To wipe the phone I need the BB ID password, and the previous owner deleted his BB ID before he gave me the phone ( after he turned off BB protect) so the wipe function is not really an option. But thank you for trying ������
    11-09-18 03:44 AM
    That’s part of the problem.. To wipe the phone I need the BB ID password, and the previous owner deleted his BB ID before he gave me the phone ( after he turned off BB protect) so the wipe function is not really an option. But thank you for trying ������
    Use an autoloader then.

https://mega.nz/#!RJJWTTzT!USoRTNKQv...Bcej8X1VLRT6NU
    11-09-18 07:06 AM
    ^This

If BlackBerry Protect is truly turned off for the device, it should work.

11-09-18 07:51 AM
    The "previous owner" deleted the BBID.
    The suggested tasks were designed to verify that. If it is turned off, an autoloader should do the trick.

11-09-18 07:53 AM
    and it won’t make the phone useless? As of right now I can use the phone, I’m just afraid to make it worse than it already is..
    11-09-18 06:35 PM
    and it won’t make the phone useless? As of right now I can use the phone, I’m just afraid to make it worse than it already is..
    It SHOULD work, if you're 100% sure that BlackBerry Protect really is turned off, but there's no easy way for me to test it for you.

11-09-18 07:49 PM
    Assuming BlackBerry Protect is off, all the previous owner needed to do was use his BBID PW to wipe the phone. Then, you would be asked to enter a BBID and PW when you set it up.

By using an autoloader, you should get to the same place. The phone will check for its BlackBerry Protect status, and, since it isn't tied to an existing ID, it should let you set it up as a brand new phone.

But I do have one other thought. Was the phone reset already, and is it asking you for a BBID because it doesn't have one configured? In that case, you should set it up with yours, with no wipe needed.

NM, I see that it's asking for the Password only. Is there any chance your relative remembers that. Even without BlackBerry Protect, that's a local security control. But without it, a wipe and reset should don't he trick.

11-09-18 07:58 PM
    I had a similar experience when I bought a used Classic on ebay.

The former user forgot to turn off BB ID. So he thought he deleted his account after I informed him about the locked phone, so I din't know what to do and sent it back to him.

But I really hope you have more luck, considering that your's isn't protected by BB Protect anymore.
    Anyways, I'm interested in how this story ends.
    11-10-18 02:34 PM
    This is the only way I know of to tell that BB protect is off, if there is another way please let me know. I thought that this was enough..
    Attached Thumbnails Removing BB ID on q10-d3b2d5c1-96b0-4a04-a13d-b5e9df7be769.jpg  
    11-10-18 05:58 PM
    Yes he remembers the password but the account is deleted so whenever I try to insert the password it comes out as “wrong password attempt x of x”
    11-10-18 05:59 PM
    This is the only way I know of to tell that BB protect is off, if there is another way please let me know. I thought that this was enough..
    That "should" be adequate.
    11-10-18 06:56 PM
    I can check something for you. I'll turn off BlackBerry Protect on my BB10 phone and confirm it's turned off on the server, too.
    11-12-18 07:55 AM
    I confirmed that anti-theft protection is unavailable on the BlackBerry Protect server if BlackBerry Protect is turned off on the phone. You SHOULD be able to wipe the phone safely, either by using an autoloader or by entering the wrong password repeatedly. I'm sorry, but I don't have time to test the reset for you.
    MFBB2012 likes this.
    11-12-18 08:05 AM