After a long spell on my BB10 devices, I went back to the Bold 9900, just for kicks. But I had so much fun with it for the week as my only phone (no cheating with dual carry!), I wanted to keep going.

As luck would have it, someone accidentally dropped something on my beloved Bold and borked the screen. Couldn't believe it, after all it had survived.

Well, about 2 minutes to check out a video on Youtube and then another 10 minutes or so on eBay to order a new screen. Came in just over a day later. One T5 screwdriver, about 5 minutes and the Bold is back!
    I'm loving it! This thing is SO easy to service, it's such a shame nobody appreciates well built, durable, serviceable phones. (Or maybe that was BlackBerry's downfall, who'd buy a new one when you could fix the old one and keep going?)
    It's beautifully designed, feels so nice in the hand. Easy to replace batteries when they're spent, no taking it into the shop. Even screen and keyboard replacements are so simple! I'm gonna run this thing until BlackBerry shuts down the servers, yup, I will be the last one standing :-)

Man, what I would give for an upgraded Bold! I just need a slightly faster processor and up to date browser, that's all I need...
    10-11-18 11:36 PM
    letsencrypt certs not working was no go for me
    10-13-18 01:34 PM
    After a long spell on my BB10 devices, I went back to the Bold 9900, just for kicks. But I had so much fun with it for the week as my only phone (no cheating with dual carry!), I wanted to keep going.

As luck would have it, someone accidentally dropped something on my beloved Bold and borked the screen. Couldn't believe it, after all it had survived.

Well, about 2 minutes to check out a video on Youtube and then another 10 minutes or so on eBay to order a new screen. Came in just over a day later. One T5 screwdriver, about 5 minutes and the Bold is back!
    I'm loving it! This thing is SO easy to service, it's such a shame nobody appreciates well built, durable, serviceable phones. (Or maybe that was BlackBerry's downfall, who'd buy a new one when you could fix the old one and keep going?)
    It's beautifully designed, feels so nice in the hand. Easy to replace batteries when they're spent, no taking it into the shop. Even screen and keyboard replacements are so simple! I'm gonna run this thing until BlackBerry shuts down the servers, yup, I will be the last one standing :-)

Man, what I would give for an upgraded Bold! I just need a slightly faster processor and up to date browser, that's all I need...
    RIM's margin on handset hardware was minimal, if even positive. SAF was where the margin was. Keeping good hardware in user hands thru serviceability helped assure continued SAF revenues. Revenues they risked losing to alternate platforms if unrepairable hardware failures forced a user to "upgrade".

I, myself, have thoroughly enjoyed products resulting out of SAF business model. BBRY's "hardware margin" model was doomed to predictable failure. "Advertising model" might evolve into humanity's worst nightmare, if not already. Imo. Lol.
    10-14-18 07:36 AM
    I have also been waiting years for the 9900 replacement only to be sadly disappointed with larger clumsy phones. My second Bold just died and I have played with larger phone to much aggravation. I am sadly looking away from blackberry now strictly because I need a smaller device. Is anybody listening, do we have the will or ability to deliver a n updated product that can compare to the Bold 9900?
    11-01-18 12:01 PM
    Well don't hold your breath waiting! Small screen, small battery, energy efficient CPU, even a keyboard. Right out of the gate that is not going to look good on paper and people won't even give it a chance. Unfortunately the marketing and development people 'know' this so the project won't even get started.

Instead they all compete by making the same rectangular slab using the same OS, same CPU, same camera units....makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

It caters to those customers who want to be individualistic and unique yet they all carry the same identical rectangular slabs...
    11-02-18 09:47 PM
    Well don't hold your breath waiting! Small screen, small battery, energy efficient CPU, even a keyboard. Right out of the gate that is not going to look good on paper and people won't even give it a chance. Unfortunately the marketing and development people 'know' this so the project won't even get started.

Instead they all compete by making the same rectangular slab using the same OS, same CPU, same camera units....makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

It caters to those customers who want to be individualistic and unique yet they all carry the same identical rectangular slabs...
    Efficient CPU? Maybe, but 1200 mAh battery won't let us say, it discharges really fast. This and bad camera were in fact the biggest cons of that phone.
    11-04-18 02:00 AM