Hey! I just recently got my blackberry classic and have been setting it up and all and I've been wondering what are some of your recommendations that I do? I deleted the twitter blackberry app because i don't like how it syncs my followers into my phones contacts. I've heard about android apps, how are they? Also, where are they? I only see Amazon and blackberry world.
    09-24-18 05:18 PM
    Hey! I just recently got my blackberry classic and have been setting it up and all and I've been wondering what are some of your recommendations that I do? I deleted the twitter blackberry app because i don't like how it syncs my followers into my phones contacts. I've heard about android apps, how are they? Also, where are they? I only see Amazon and blackberry world.
    I hope you didn't get a Classic believing that you could just install and use any android app. The android runtime in BB10 is version 4.3 (now 4 generations old) and does NOT support many apps. You can install the Google Play Store using Cobalt's stack (search for that here on CB) or you can download and install apps from a reputable android store such as https://www.apkmirror.com/ . Other android stores such as F-Droid and maybe Aptoide also are safe to use but use some discretion on downloads. You will have to enable "allow apps from other sources to be installed" by going to Settings/App Manager/Installing Apps.

Remember that the more android apps you install the worse your Classic will run. This certainly holds true for power hungry social apps. I would recommend no more than 10-12 android apps depending on the type.
    09-24-18 06:10 PM
    Well, what do you want to do or hope to accomplish with the phone?

Posted via CB10
    09-24-18 06:43 PM
    good to know! thanks
    09-24-18 08:06 PM
    nothing in mind, just trying to see what i can enjoy.
    09-24-18 08:06 PM
    I am not a heavy twitter user and therefore the BB version is okay for my needs. Anything outside of the native BB option may be power hungry.

I run about 7 android apps including Line, Viber and Telegram. You can search this forum for the best app versions for each app. I use Line quite heavily and the battery usage is acceptable. Leaving the app open (minimised) increases power usage and therefore it is better to close the app when not needed. Notifications work for all 3 messaging apps and therefore there is really no need to keep the app open unless, in use.

You are restricted to an older version of android run time (4.3) and therefore any apps you wish to install will need to comply with this.

You can use the cobalt option for installing android apps or direct installs of APK's from other sources. There is plenty of information on this forum on both options and guides to follow. As others have stated, the less android apps, the better, but once you understand how the phone runs with individual apps, it is easier to determine what apps are worth running and which are best avoided.

I find the classic still enjoyable to use. It is not the fastest and the browser is starting to show signs of age in some areas. If you are after a compact messaging device, it can meet these requirements well.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-18 08:46 PM
    Great native apps to try out:

Quill
    Screen recorder by hugsoft
    Encircle
    Blackbullet for push bullet
    Clip expert
    Parrot audio recorder
    Tape for auto call recording
    Super tube
    Picmix
    Smartlist
    Kiwi wonder

From android I am using whatsapp and kdeconnect

Posted via CB10
    09-24-18 10:39 PM
    Evernote, embedd many documents and or photos in a note and you can share them with anyone.

Box, gets you all the stuff evernote doesnt give free.

Save this as a bookmark. Open browser tab as a notepad and browser clipboard, just save webpage as html.

data:text/html, <html contenteditable>

Save this as a bookmark in an open tab. When you cant see a webpage from scaling issues.
    `
    javascriptfunction()%7Bviewport%3Ddocument.querySelector(%22 meta%5Bname%3Dviewport%5D%22)%3Bviewport.setAttrib ute(%27content%27%2C%27width%3Ddevice-width%2Cinitial-scale%3D0.50%2Cuser-scalable%3Dno%27)%3B%7D)()%3B
    `

Posted via CB10
    09-25-18 12:10 AM
    OP, how much did you pay for your Classic?
    09-26-18 02:56 PM
    Signal works flawless like a messenger app btw....

Posted via CB10
    09-27-18 03:30 AM
    Signal works flawless like a messenger app btw....

Posted via CB10
    Can you advise what version of signal you are using and where you sourced it from?

Posted via CB10
    09-27-18 06:04 AM
    https://signal.org/android/apk/

I'm using this...

Posted via CB10
    09-27-18 06:20 AM
    https://signal.org/android/apk/

I'm using this...

Posted via CB10
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    09-27-18 06:45 AM
    Stick to native apps. Stay away from android if you can. You'll only slow it down. Its a nice phone to have still if you can use it for the basic. Update the OS to the latest that it offers and roll with it.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-18 12:37 PM
    Stick to native apps. Stay away from android if you can. You'll only slow it down. Its a nice phone to have still if you can use it for the basic. Update the OS to the latest that it offers and roll with it.

Posted via CB10
    WhatsApp is pretty necessary communications platform these days, the bad news is that it drains the Classic's battery...
    09-27-18 01:46 PM
    WhatsApp is pretty necessary communications platform these days, the bad news is that it drains the Classic's battery...
    I don't see it as a basic function of the phone. I'll add to it and say not to invest in BB10 all together if you're unable to refrain from the dependency of such apps.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-18 02:08 PM
    I recommend you download all the native apps you think you'd use now, as Blackberry World will be shut down in 2019. Igrann / Inst10 are great Instagram Clients. Browsie Browser works great for improving compatibility with some web sites, too. If you use a Mac or Windows PC, I'd load up Blend on it, too. Great program to have. As far as Android apps, I love using NewPipe for YouTube.
    09-28-18 01:46 PM
    Not necessarily, depends on where you are. I'm in Canada and I do not know ANYONE who uses it. Sorry, I do know ONE person who does, but he's from Australia.

I actually don't know of ANYONE here in Canada who uses it.
    09-28-18 02:25 PM
    Find the BEOL browser in bb10 apps forum. Download the apk from the links in the thread and install. Use it for websites that are a problem with stock browser.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-18 04:43 PM
    Ilove term48 a terminal. Puralax addictive game like a keymaker. And adorable minionrush.

UNEED opera apk internetbrowser but watch the versions

Umay need an apk for jellybean 4.x

Amazons appstore willalways sellyou. Always

Absolutely anything you'll ever do

Itshow theymake theirmoney

Posted via CB10
    10-08-18 08:43 PM