I have seen all kinds of opinions on the Priv. Some people hate it. Others love it and see are just Meh.

So what is the deal?

I do not own one, but I love it's design more than the Keyone or Key2. I like that it was actually made by RIM and not an 3rd party with BB branding.

I understand that marshmallow was the last upgrade it is likely to ever receive. But I can't understand why BB Fans would be upset about that considering we all have held our BB phones in near deathgrips even though that software hasn't been updated in years and now we all are crying in our Cheerios because of 2020.

So with all that said...I would like your opinions about the phone backed up with some supporting evidence of why it is good or bad.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    09-15-18 10:35 AM
    Yes, it is BAD.
    It doesn't reach even the lowest quality expectations one can have. Many users complaining draining-failing battery (incl. me) and that is NOT the myth. I replaced my battery through overheating and now it overheating again.
    If you don't wanna have problems, avoid that phone.
    09-15-18 10:39 AM
    The CPU is a sticking point, that vintage Snapdragon is probably the greatest contributor to below average battery life and above average heat generation (two very common complaints). The physical keyboard is also a bone of contention between those who wish it was more Passport/KEYone like, those who actually like it, and those who just kept the phone in VKB mode all the time.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    09-15-18 10:39 AM
    I'm still using it as secondary phone and not bad at all.
    I got rid of all BB software and installed alternatives cause BB services and hub are too much for this device. No overheating during normal use since then, just sometimes when using Waze or Google maps.
    Bbnivende, Sigewif and Carmels like this.
    09-15-18 10:45 AM
    I have seen all kinds of opinions on the Priv. Some people hate it. Others love it and see are just Meh.

So what is the deal?

I do not own one, but I love it's design more than the Keyone or Key2. I like that it was actually made by RIM and not an 3rd party with BB branding.

I understand that marshmallow was the last upgrade it is likely to ever receive. But I can't understand why BB Fans would be upset about that considering we all have held our BB phones in near deathgrips even though that software hasn't been updated in years and now we all are crying in our Cheerios because of 2020.

So with all that said...I would like your opinions about the phone backed up with some supporting evidence of why it is good or bad.
    The reason that marshmallow criticized is that Android is run with a systematic planned obsolescence. It’s not designed for you to hold onto and use as long as you’d like.

My AT&T KEYone is a far better quality build than my AT&T PRIV. If there’s a PRIV 2, that’s a different story. The PRIV had many design flaws beginning with chipset, battery size and BBAndroid software. These were simply first generation design problems, but they’ve made the device quickly non optimal for multitude of reasons. Very similar to first generation of iPhones and the related problems.
    T_Studios and Sigewif like this.
    09-15-18 10:53 AM
    The Priv was a great idea hampered by what was supposed to be a premium processor. The screen is gorgeous and having both pkb and vkb was awesome. As it aged it slowed down and overheated. In my case I had to do a factory reset to speed it up again. But it was and is still slower than many phones. We have two Keyones in our house and they blew my Priv out of the water for speed.
    Ultimately BlackBerry stayed true to the their absolute minimum promise of support and abandoned the phone at the 2 year mark, with the exception of one update for a critical patch.
    I would still be using that phone if at the very least BlackBerry continued monthly security patches, but they didn't, so I went to a phone that does get them.
    T_Studios and nah.uhh like this.
    09-15-18 11:01 AM
    Ok, I've owned like 5 Privs now. I kept selling the first ones off after convincing myself that the KEY devices are better (they are) and then bought another Priv because the form factor is so damn cool, and the design aged pretty well in 2018.
    However, I'm one of those guys who didn't mind taking the time to optimize Android to get the most SOT possible out of a device. Like Mr Mobile said in his Priv review re-do "If you're the type that doesn't mind tweaking and optimizing Android... The Priv would make a great project" and that's totally true.
    Now, there are tips everywhere on this forum on how to do this, I listed my ways of getting a consistent 4.5 - 5.5 hours of SOT on that phone.
    However, no matter how much tweaking you do, it will never run as good as even a silver KEYone, period. And with BB10 coming to an end sooner rather than later, it remains the only RIM smartphone that can be used as a daily today. But as soon as you need it to navigate with GPS or ANY intensive task, battery percentage is gonna drop fast. If you're on a stable WiFi all day and don't push the processor hard, you should get at LEAST 4.5 hours SOT on it.

Bottom line, if you really crave a slider, go for it. You can find them for pretty damn cheap these days. If your budget is tight and you're hesitating between that or a KEY device, get the KEY device. A used silver KEYone can already be found in the low $200's and Privs are hovering around $130-$180 or so. The gap is getting small.

Hope that helps
    skrble likes this.
    09-15-18 05:33 PM
    Mine is still going strong, although my daughter uses it daily for limited use, and my son uses it to play Pokemon Go when his sister lets him. I'm using a KEYone, and while I miss the flexibility of the Priv, I don't miss the slow app loads, overheating, and in the case of my version, creaky back cover due to the lack of the wireless charging module. I do miss the screen and ability to choose whether to use the PKB or VKB. As a basic phone/text/media device, it does well. Just don't expect it to fly in any performance tests, and be aware that it will most likely overheat if you push it.
    jeet thaker and the_boon like this.
    09-15-18 08:13 PM
    Ok, I've owned like 5 Privs now. I kept selling the first ones off after convincing myself that the KEY devices are better (they are) and then bought another Priv because the form factor is so damn cool, and the design aged pretty well in 2018.

Hope that helps
    Thank you very much for the info - you are right the form factor is awesome- which is why I keep getting drawn back to it vs the Keyone which I think is really awkward looking - but I love my passport so I can't really say much about an awkward looking phone.

Can you provide a link to your specific tweaks.
    09-16-18 07:53 AM
    Mine is still going strong, although my daughter uses it daily for limited use, and my son uses it to play Pokemon Go when his sister lets him. I'm using a KEYone, and while I miss the flexibility of the Priv, I don't miss the slow app loads, overheating, and in the case of my version, creaky back cover due to the lack of the wireless charging module. I do miss the screen and ability to choose whether to use the PKB or VKB. As a basic phone/text/media device, it does well. Just don't expect it to fly in any performance tests, and be aware that it will most likely overheat if you push it.
    Thanks for the info.

What do you mean that yours doesn't have a wireless charging module? Do some have it and others don't?

Live Long and Prosper
    09-16-18 08:00 AM
    I'm still using it as secondary phone and not bad at all.
    I got rid of all BB software and installed alternatives cause BB services and hub are too much for this device. No overheating during normal use since then, just sometimes when using Waze or Google maps.
    What BB alternatives did you end up installing?
    09-16-18 08:02 AM
    Google contacts and calendar, Keep for notes and tasks, Gmail (already installed, but using it now for email) and Nova launcher as I'm not using PKB shortcuts on Priv.
    What BB alternatives did you end up installing?
    T_Studios likes this.
    09-16-18 08:16 AM
  13. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar

So what is the deal?

yes, it is bad,
    u can feel it will be very hot than other device
    I dont know about,but im sure snapdragon chipset made its hot

BlackBerry Passport RED Edition 10.3.3.2049
    09-16-18 08:50 AM
    Thanks for the info.

What do you mean that yours doesn't have a wireless charging module? Do some have it and others don't?

Live Long and Prosper
    Only the STV100-1 has it, to my knowledge. Maybe also the STV100-2, which is the Verizon variant.
    T_Studios likes this.
    09-16-18 09:34 AM

Can you provide a link to your specific tweaks.
    -Update to Marshmallow if not already done

-Disable location when not used (but it is needed for Find my Device) and disable Google location tracking and location history (those are big drainers)

-Disable WiFi and Bluetooth scanning when off, this is found in location settings

-Use wi-fi when signal is weak or whenever possible, this will lower the "Android OS" drain in the battery stats significantly

-Lower the resolution to 1080x1920 with adb/fastboot (see tutorials, very easy)

-Power saving mode always activated

-Disable BlackBerry Hub+ services but mainly the Hub

-Disable background processes from unnecessary apps which you don't need notifications (only do it for those who send you them in the first place)

-Disable anything Google that you don't absolutely need, start with the Google app which basically uses your microphone all day, waiting for you to say "OK Google"

-Lower animations from 1x to 0.5x or off for greater speed, however when you're in power saving mode (orange bar at the top) the animations will be off anyways
    09-16-18 09:41 AM
    -Update to Marshmallow if not already done

-Disable location when not used (but it is needed for Find my Device) and disable Google location tracking and location history (those are big drainers)

-Disable WiFi and Bluetooth scanning when off, this is found in location settings

-Use wi-fi when signal is weak or whenever possible, this will lower the "Android OS" drain in the battery stats significantly

-Lower the resolution to 1080x1920 with adb/fastboot (see tutorials, very easy)

-Power saving mode always activated

-Disable BlackBerry Hub+ services but mainly the Hub

-Disable background processes from unnecessary apps which you don't need notifications (only do it for those who send you them in the first place)

-Disable anything Google that you don't absolutely need, start with the Google app which basically uses your microphone all day, waiting for you to say "OK Google"

-Lower animations from 1x to 0.5x or off for greater speed, however when you're in power saving mode (orange bar at the top) the animations will be off anyways
    Hey boon... I know you mentioned in previous reply about the limitations if needing certain battery draining services, whether Google related or not.

Would you also explain your differences found between Marshmallow to Oreo and how the devices have performance optimized from Lollipop to Oreo?

OP is tempted by cheap price of device. IMO, useful life expectancy of PRIV is about same as Passport now and reflected with their similar pricing on third party sites.
    09-16-18 10:17 AM
    Hey boon... I know you mentioned in previous reply about the limitations if needing certain battery draining services, whether Google related or not.

Would you also explain your differences found between Marshmallow to Oreo and how the devices have performance optimized from Lollipop to Oreo?

OP is tempted by cheap price of device. IMO, useful life expectancy of PRIV is about same as Passport now and reflected with their similar pricing on third party sites.
    I don't know the details of the difference in battery optimization between Marshmallow and Oreo, but the latter is clearly more efficient and gives the user more control of what runs in the background. A KEYone/KEY2/LE will ALWAYS have a huge battery optimization advantage over the Priv which is stuck in Marshmallow forever.

I can only recommend the Priv if the person's budget is only $150 at most because KEYones haven't reached that low yet.
    Or, if the person already has a nice Android as primary and wants to experience the slider PKB + 5.4" AMOLED.

And to your last point, I think the Priv has a lot more life left than the Passport, we're talking full Android 6 vs a runtime of 4.3.
    09-16-18 10:35 AM
    I don't know the details of the difference in battery optimization between Marshmallow and Oreo, but the latter is clearly more efficient and gives the user more control of what runs in the background. A KEYone/KEY2/LE will ALWAYS have a huge battery optimization advantage over the Priv which is stuck in Marshmallow forever.

I can only recommend the Priv if the person's budget is only $150 at most because KEYones haven't reached that low yet.
    Or, if the person already has a nice Android as primary and wants to experience the slider PKB + 5.4" AMOLED.

And to your last point, I think the Priv has a lot more life left than the Passport, we're talking full Android 6 vs a runtime of 4.3.
    The OS, I believe possible, however, BBMo/TCL should be running Android 9 PIE with Android 10 Qbert running on some production hardware. I’m thinking more hardware failure due to age coupled with less efficient Android 6 Marshmallow optimization.

Plus 3gb RAM/32gb storage is rapidly becoming less optimal, no?
    09-16-18 10:45 AM
    The OS, I believe possible, however, BBMo/TCL should be running Android 9 PIE with Android 10 Qbert running on some production hardware. I’m thinking more hardware failure due to age coupled with less efficient Android 6 Marshmallow optimization.

Plus 3gb RAM/32gb storage is rapidly becoming less optimal, no?
    Well, put it this way. If people are still using BB10 devices or old Samsung S3/S4 in 2018, then the Priv can do just fine. However, it is the least optimized of all BB's. I'm just saying as far as app support, it's the only RIM-made Berry than can be used as a daily in 2018 without feeling like having a dinosaur phone. Android 6 is what it is, a 2016 OS version. It still has quite a few years ahead of app support, but again since the Priv isn't well optimized, it may get even slower as apps get heavier and it's always good to invest in a new OEM battery for when it gets tough to get 4hrs SOT on it.
    As far as security patches go, it's already EOL for almost a year now.

I'd recommend any KEY device over any BB10 or Priv, but it's much easier to recommend the Priv over BB10 that's for sure.

It's a fine phone if you take the time to optimize/tweak it to get 5hrs SOT on average, and don't push the processor hard and don't use much navigation.
    09-16-18 10:51 AM
    Well, put it this way. If people are still using BB10 devices or old Samsung S3/S4 in 2018, then the Priv can do just fine. However, it is the least optimized of all BB's. I'm just saying as far as app support, it's the only RIM-made Berry than can be used as a daily in 2018 without feeling like having a dinosaur phone. Android 6 is what it is, a 2016 OS version. It still has quite a few years ahead of app support, but again since the Priv isn't well optimized, it may get even slower as apps get heavier and it's always good to invest in a new OEM battery for when it gets tough to get 4hrs SOT on it.
    As far as security patches go, it's already EOL for almost a year now.

I'd recommend any KEY device over any BB10 or Priv, but it's much easier to recommend the Priv over BB10 that's for sure.

It's a fine phone if you take the time to optimize/tweak it to get 5hrs SOT on average, and don't push the processor hard and don't use much navigation.
    That’s why I quoted you. Drag eske on here too for his opinions.
    09-16-18 10:55 AM
    Only the STV100-1 has it, to my knowledge. Maybe also the STV100-2, which is the Verizon variant.
    Yes, the Verizon model has wireless charging. (actually, the Verizon Z30 was the only model of the Z30 with wireless charging - mine sits on a charging pad as it still feeds Blend (some of us are stubborn).

I never really had major issues with my Priv. I think the verizon model generated less overall issues. don't know why or if it was the cdma aspect.
    09-16-18 10:58 AM

So what is the deal?

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...l#post13280168

OP, I’ve just included above link for pretty good thread regarding the PRIV and more importantly, two PRIV fans that will help better set realistic expectations while enthusiastically show you ways to optimize. It’s said that misery loves company, well, boon and eske are far away from miserable. Good luck and have fun...
    09-16-18 11:12 AM
    Boon and Eske, my comments are meant to applaud you and show compliments. I hope you read the intent the way I meant.
    the_boon likes this.
    09-16-18 11:13 AM
    Thanks for the info.

Live Long and Prosper
    I bought mine from Telus. It's my understanding that the models purchased from Canadian providers didn't include the ability to charge wirelessly. There is a very noticeable gap in the internals where the module is in other versions.

Peace and Long Life
    09-16-18 11:16 AM
    2015 & 2016 Manufactures Privs had serious overheating and memory management problems.

2017 Privs had optimised software and no battery drain and possibly better heat management improvements in hardware and were far better to live with.

Save for the common over heating and rapid battery drain, the Priv was and is still a pain to use because it has square corners (ditto for passport) which poke into your palm whether used on bed or on desk or while standing. Case edges too aren’t round for the priv.

The 808 processor is good enough for basic to medium amount of processing. Anything more and the phone gives up.
    T_Studios and the_boon like this.
    09-16-18 11:20 AM
143 123 ...