Sometimes I wonder why BlackBerry didn't use any of their models from BB10 era and just put out an android option for us. I mean take a look at the classic for example. Very elegant and looks really cool! If it had an android OS I bet a lot of BlackBerry users would go buy one. Sure android has its ups and downs, but you know what I mean. And let's not forget the passport. It's already a cool phone. Why re-invent it with the Keyone?

Posted via CB10
    07-13-18 09:09 PM
    Android doesn't support the aspect ratio of square screens. Even with Android runtime BB10 devices find some applications problematic and others completely unworkable.

---={////]--[ Dispensed on my BlackBerry Passport 
    NightFire likes this.
    07-14-18 04:30 AM
    Sometimes I wonder why BlackBerry didn't use any of their models from BB10 era and just put out an android option for us. I mean take a look at the classic for example. Very elegant and looks really cool! If it had an android OS I bet a lot of BlackBerry users would go buy one. Sure android has its ups and downs, but you know what I mean. And let's not forget the passport. It's already a cool phone. Why re-invent it with the Keyone?

Posted via CB10
    If only 😥.
    Qorax and DWonder like this.
    07-14-18 04:42 AM
    BB took a different tactic in introducing newer model phones patterned over the common lot instead of listening to what the fans wanted. What made me love BB in the beginning was the build, look and feel of their products. Very professional looking too! I loved it. Whenever I fish out my BlackBerry phone in meetings and place them on the table I'd feel a sense of pride. Who cares about a 'slab' phone even if it comes with 5 different kinds of colors plus all the bells and whistles? In the end what made me stay with BB was the workability, heft, class and uniqueness of their phones. The newer models feels cheap when you hold them and the proportions aren't nice. Bottom line is that they already got fans with their old models. Old doesn't necessarily mean obsolete you know just as new doesn't always mean better.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax and DWonder like this.
    07-14-18 06:53 AM
    BlackBerry did make some nicely designed phones.
    07-14-18 07:37 AM
    I am guessing they thought there was too much risk.
    07-14-18 07:42 AM
    Android doesn't support the aspect ratio of square screens. Even with Android runtime BB10 devices find some applications problematic and others completely unworkable.

This. Sigh.
    07-14-18 07:48 AM
    BlackBerry should ask themselves 'what do the fans need?' 'do they need another iphone lookalike with a keyboard? No sir. If I wanted a slab phone then I would buy that certain brand. Why go to Blackberry then? Answer is Uniqueness. BlackBerry stands for innovation. The keyboard was a innovative idea. But the keyboard itself isn't BlackBerry. BlackBerry doesn't have to make new models with a keyboard. They introduced that innovative feature a long time ago. The fans need new ideas from BlackBerry. Not some rehashed copy and then put a keypad on it. If the fans are feeling nostalgic, then let's upgrade the old but classy models. A lot of people still love them. These are nice looking phones with a keypad. They just need to be reintroduced and get their OS updated. But for the new ones, BlackBerry should throw in new ideas. What do people do these days? They take photos, they blog, they watch videos, upload videos and listen to music to name a few. So instead of a keypad, why not have a phone that can do these things. Like a robust and customisable front screen that everyone can re-arrange to suit their personalities. Or upgrade the miserable music player so that people can tweak the eq's, add effects to the music and maybe throw in better earphones. Or include a leather case by default when you purchase a BB device. The point is BB doesn't have to copy these other phones. They are a leader and they should create the BB experience through innovative ideas.

Posted via CB10
    anon(10218918) and jd_kolkata like this.
    07-14-18 10:04 AM
    BlackBerry should ask themselves 'what do the fans need?'...BlackBerry doesn't have to make new models with a keyboard.
    BlackBerry's reputation has been built on security and the physical keyboard. At a guess i'd say at least 50% of fans on CrackBerry are with BlackBerry because of the keyboard.

They just need to be reintroduced and get their OS updated.
    BB10 was their last stand against iOS and Android. Both of those platforms have a lot of people coding for them and dominate the smartphone operating system market. They competed until it was no longer financially viable.

But for the new ones, BlackBerry should throw in new ideas. What do people do these days? They take photos, they blog, they watch videos, upload videos and listen to music to name a few. So instead of a keypad, why not have a phone that can do these things. Like a robust and customisable front screen
    Smartphones with apps have already been created that allow people to do these things. And I think a number of Android launchers fit the bill of a "robust and customisable front screen".

To be quite blunt, I think BlackBerry will have thought a lot about what they could provide in the smartphone market against existing competition before handing over to other manufacturers and adopting Android and there has been a lot of debate on the CrackBerry forums surrounding this issue too. Don't get me wrong, I love the form factor of the older devices but taking all pros and cons into consideration they've opted with what makes better business sense.

Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    07-14-18 10:59 AM
    As I have said earlier, nobody is listening to what the BlackBerry fan base are saying..

Posted via CB10
    07-14-18 10:50 PM
    As I have said earlier, nobody is listening to what the BlackBerry fan base are saying..

Posted via CB10
    The BlackBerry fan base are so divided over what they want that BlackBerry could never cater to everyone's wishes. Some people basically want the Bold 9900 with up to date specs, some people want a slider, some people want a full touch screen phone, some people want another Passport-sized device. Originally you say you wish they would release the older devices with Android, then you're saying they should re-release their old devices with an updated OS, then you're saying they don't need to copy the competition but all the features you suggest a new design should have are already present in existing phones, OS's and apps. Whilst the iPhone and it's Android counterparts were being developed BlackBerry stayed catering to their fans, stagnating and losing some customers to what else was being offered. As John Chen has said it's not always a good idea to listen to the fans (paraphrasing there). Fans can only keep profits steady and that's if they're not tempted away by another brand. This topic has been done to death in the forums with each poster claiming to have the solution that must have mysteriously evaded BlackBerry all this time.

Troy Tiscareno and ppeters914 like this.
    07-15-18 02:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    I love BlackBerry10 devices and will try to keep using my Z10s for as long as I can. It will be tough when I will need to eventually switch.

As for the debate on this topic, I think the BlackBerry fan base sometimes isn't listening well enough to what they themselves are already saying as to why things aren't different.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Last edited by spARTacus; 07-15-18 at 08:46 AM.
    07-15-18 07:55 AM
    Everyone is looking for "The next big thing" to blow them away. Companies are looking for that "lightning in a bottle" to squeeze out some profits.
    Android is a great platform. However, Apple has a product better than the iPhone. It's the iPad. Multimedia is the age we live in. The iPad is the almost perfect form factor. Too big to be comfortably portable. BlackBerry keeps making a play for the keyboard to make a comeback. As much as I am a CrackBerry, I've face the fact that the keyboard era is all but
    dead.
    The BlackBerry Passport without the physical keyboard (with the Android ecosystem) would be the better solution. Our handheld devices are heading that way.
    Samsung has been on that trajectory for a while now.
    Most of us Crackberries are forward thinkers (not bandwagon riders).

What do you think?
    Am I on to something or is this all in my mind?

Posted via CB10
    07-15-18 09:28 AM
    Multimedia is the age we live in. The iPad is the almost perfect form factor. Too big to be comfortably portable. BlackBerry keeps making a play for the keyboard to make a comeback. As much as I am a CrackBerry, I've face the fact that the keyboard era is all but dead...

The BlackBerry Passport without the physical keyboard (with the Android ecosystem) would be the better solution. Our handheld devices are heading that way....

What do you think?

Posted via CB10
    Tablets are certainly becoming the go-to devices for web browsing and multimedia playback and I can see them taking over laptops for personal use of that sort, but I can only see them replacing desktop and laptops in some industries, not all. In any case a physical keyboard (i'm meaning proper physical keyboard, not BlackBerry phone physical keyboard) is still necessary for prolonged periods of typing. Handheld computers have been used by couriers and supermarkets for years, smartphones have found their way into hospitals and restaurants, tablets are used in department stores to manage stock and file maintenance control, but physical keyboards still sit in front of desktop computers across the world looking just like they did 10 years ago. There's also a lot of bespoke software in use across so many industries that are currently coded for use on Windows or Mac because they're so common. To code for both PC and tablet can be costly and requires the ongoing work to keep two systems up to date. Changing to design such software for tablet only risks alienating customers who can't afford to buy a ton of tablets to support it.

But I don't think tablets are going to replace smartphones; when a device is too big to fit in your pocket it's too big to hold against your face. When I got my Passport a friend of mine did actually comment that it would be great if it just didn't have the keyboard! He's got an iPhone 8+ and says that's the biggest he'll go to.

07-15-18 11:05 AM
    I wish BB would just use their tastefully designed phones and put android in them!-p2260695.jpg
    LG Optimus Vu (2012)

I wish BB would just use their tastefully designed phones and put android in them!-lg-optimus-vu-2-front.jpg
    LG Optimus Vu 2 (2013)
    elfabio80 likes this.
    07-15-18 11:14 AM
    I didn't even know that phone existed! I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned round here during the early days of the Passport or alongside fan-made renders of concept designs. Unless it was and I just completely missed it.

07-15-18 12:22 PM
    It was talked about frequently, but mostly dismissed by BB fans as it wasn't a BB10 phone.
    07-15-18 12:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    I wish it was the other way around. BB10 in a Key 2.
    07-18-18 09:16 AM
    Everyone is looking for "The next big thing" to blow them away. Companies are looking for that "lightning in a bottle" to squeeze out some profits.
    Android is a great platform. However, Apple has a product better than the iPhone. It's the iPad. Multimedia is the age we live in. The iPad is the almost perfect form factor. Too big to be comfortably portable. BlackBerry keeps making a play for the keyboard to make a comeback. As much as I am a CrackBerry, I've face the fact that the keyboard era is all but
    dead.
    The BlackBerry Passport without the physical keyboard (with the Android ecosystem) would be the better solution. Our handheld devices are heading that way.
    Samsung has been on that trajectory for a while now.
    Most of us Crackberries are forward thinkers (not bandwagon riders).

What do you think?

Posted via CB10
    I disagree with you as most blackberry fans do as well. I have an iphone for work. It takes forever to email. With my passport I can do the same task at lightning speed. Dont undermine the keyboard. Popular does not mean better.

Posted via CB10
    the_boon likes this.
    07-19-18 08:23 PM