I'm new to this forum but I have noticed there are a lot of 12/31/19 Doomsday Prophets concerning the BB10 os. Are these false prophets or do they "speak the truth in love" ?
    Basically I'm asking if my BB10 phone will work beyond just without updates or is it more apocalyptic than that?
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    05-28-18 05:15 PM
    I'm new to this forum but I have noticed there are a lot of 12/31/19 Doomsday Prophets concerning the BB10 os. Are these false prophets or do they "speak the truth in love" ?
    Basically I'm asking if my BB10 phone will work beyond just without updates or is it more apocalyptic than that?
    We don't really know.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    05-28-18 05:21 PM
    The good news is on 1/1/20 John Chen will announce BlackBerry's triumphant return to the device business!
    05-28-18 05:31 PM
    As Conite says, at this point, no one here knows for sure.
    05-28-18 10:06 PM
    My gut tells me that when BlackBerry made the end of 2019 EOL date back in December, the plan was to wait and see what transpires.

BlackBerry still has their hardcore BBOS and BB10 user base on the consumer size but they also have their BlackBerry government and corporate clients who also use their existing software and services business.

I think we will know more about what will work and what will not work about a year out. I think the overall goal is to accelerate the hardware conversion from BBOS and BlackBerry 10 devices to the BlackBerry Android offering as quickly as possible, minimize the amount of users left and than eliminate as many expenses associated with the legacy device business and support.

If BlackBerry can still get the high margin revenue from their business relationship with BlackBerry Mobile and their offerings while also have little to no expenses associated with the previous OS systems, that's ideal.

In the small chance they still have lots of BlackBerry OS and BlackBerry 10 government and corporate clients still clinging to their devices, they might need to asses what minimal services will continue to exist.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-18 05:54 PM
    My gut tells me that when BlackBerry made the end of 2019 EOL date back in December, the plan was to wait and see what transpires.

BlackBerry still has their hardcore BBOS and BB10 user base on the consumer size but they also have their BlackBerry government and corporate clients who also use their existing software and services business.

I think we will know more about what will work and what will not work about a year out. I think the overall goal is to accelerate the hardware conversion from BBOS and BlackBerry 10 devices to the BlackBerry Android offering as quickly as possible, minimize the amount of users left and than eliminate as many expenses associated with the legacy device business and support.

If BlackBerry can still get the high margin revenue from their business relationship with BlackBerry Mobile and their offerings while also have little to no expenses associated with the previous OS systems, that's ideal.

In the small chance they still have lots of BlackBerry OS and BlackBerry 10 government and corporate clients still clinging to their devices, they might need to asses what minimal services will continue to exist.

Posted via CB10
    They have about a million BB10 users left, and less for BBOS.

In 1½ years, they will probably be left with only thousands - not even worth paying the electrical bill for the server room.
    Velocitymj likes this.
    05-29-18 06:42 PM
    Hopefully, at new dawn of 2020 the 5g is sufficient for Web based site for all. No more apps. Just need decent browser and new handsets.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-18 07:13 PM
    We don't really know.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    This.. and it also depends on your definition of 'work'.
    05-29-18 10:39 PM
    Hopefully, at new dawn of 2020 the 5g is sufficient for Web based site for all. No more apps. Just need decent browser and new handsets.

Posted via CB10
    That's a wonderful dream, but would it be possible?

Posted via CB10
    05-29-18 11:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    5G BB10 phone... nope
    Decent browser on BB10... nope
    New BB10 handsets... nope

Sound like the mythical "Web Apps" will be a great thing for everybody... else.
    StephanieMaks, hjc73734 and ck2nb like this.
    05-30-18 04:28 AM
    Look at above post- perfect match with user name -doom indeed.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-18 05:36 AM
    @conite is right. Lets hope for the best.
    05-30-18 06:25 AM
    That's a wonderful dream, but would it be possible?

Posted via CB10
    Not for BBOS or BB10.
    05-30-18 07:26 AM
    Look at above post- perfect match with user name -doom indeed.

Posted via CB10
    But he's not wrong.... At this point, even web-based Apps aren't going to save BBOS or BB10.

I don't really think that BlackBerry will totally brick the phones, without some type of warning beforehand. But I do expect that the experience will suffer without a number of services that support BB10.... Assistant, Maps, BlackBerry World, maybe even BBM. Do think the end is coming for BIS, which will really affect BBOS phones.

Don't think that Enterprise is using either BBOS or BB10 much at this point. Any that are have already started phasing it out. Last phone was released in 2015, BlackBerry made it clear to most in 2016 that it was over, and that's when the phase out started. There isn't going to be any demand to delay the 2019 date, from big enterprise customers.

Expect BlackBerry to offer some clarification next year...
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-30-18 08:05 AM

Posted via CB10
    Agree.
    I don't really care about so-called EOL of BlackBerry 10.
    Just enjoy it while it still lasts and prepare myself for worst.
    I did some training for myself to get used to Android but it didn't work out well.
    I also tried iOS, and it turned out to work better for me, but I do need the physical keyboard so iOS will be the last choice yet again, I still DO have BlackBerry 10 as of now so I keep using Passport.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-18 09:31 AM
    Agree.
    I don't really care about so-called EOL of BlackBerry 10.
    Just enjoy it while it still lasts and prepare myself for worst.
    I did some training for myself to get used to Android but it didn't work out well.
    I also tried iOS, and it turned out to work better for me, but I do need the physical keyboard so iOS will be the last choice yet again, I still DO have BlackBerry 10 as of now so I keep using Passport.

Posted via CB10
    If it meets your needs, and it can for many... keep using it. But trying out and being aware of other options is a good idea. I do think may BB10 users would be more comfortable with iOS than Android, but I don't see a PKB iPhone seeing the light of day.
    Bbnivende and katxeus like this.
    05-30-18 09:42 AM
    If it meets your needs, and it can for many... keep using it. But trying out and being aware of other options is a good idea. I do think may BB10 users would be more comfortable with iOS than Android, but I don't see a PKB iPhone seeing the light of day.
    If I have to choose either one between iOS or Android. I will go for iOS despite its stupid virtual keyboard. Actually the virtual keyboard does bring me a lot of conveniences when typing in my native language but it is still a disaster.

I did go through some serious evaluation before I finally have to make the switch.

I have tried Keyone, Priv, iPhone SE.
    None of them takes the place of my Passport(Classic will be a different case for I can't stand the slowness of browser since I do rely on it.)

Keyone is now in my car without a Sim card in case both of Passport and iPhone SE die on juice.

I think I am pretty reasonable when it comes to switching platforms. But I am pretty resistant.

Posted via CB10
    SonyainTx likes this.
    05-30-18 09:53 AM
    If I have to choose either one between iOS or Android. I will go for iOS despite its stupid virtual keyboard. Actually the virtual keyboard does bring me a lot of conveniences when typing in my native language but it is still a disaster.

I did go through some serious evaluation before I finally have to make the switch.

I have tried Keyone, Priv, iPhone SE.
    None of them takes the place of my Passport(Classic will be a different case for I can't stand the slowness of browser since I do rely on it.)

Keyone is now in my car without a Sim card in case both of Passport and iPhone SE die on juice.

I think I am pretty reasonable when it comes to switching platforms. But I am pretty resistant.

Posted via CB10
    I am with you. I have a KEYone, and I'd be very, very happy if I liked it enough to use daily, but I just don't. Android just isn't for me. Too much emphasis on third party apps and not enough UX consistency between apps and functions. You can do almost anything with Android, but I find I just don't want to bother because it's not very elegant. A bunch of features kluged together, IMO, like some manic person's shopping list.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-30-18 10:11 AM
    I am with you. I have a KEYone, and I'd be very, very happy if I liked it enough to use daily, but I just don't. Android just isn't for me. Too much emphasis on third party apps and not enough UX consistency between apps and functions. You can do almost anything with Android, but I find I just don't want to bother because it's not very elegant. A bunch of features kluged together, IMO, like some manic person's shopping list.

Same for me. It just doesn't work for me even though the keyboard is OK.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-18 10:18 AM

Nailed it. That's how I feel every time I use my wife's Android. I'm hoping it will get better once I switch and have to use it regularly.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    05-30-18 11:15 AM

So iPhone it is then
    05-30-18 01:22 PM
    This is what BlackBerry said... Supporting BB10 and BBOS Customers and Rewarding Your Loyalty | Inside BlackBerry

Nobody really knows what it means.... hope for the best, but you had better plan on the worst. It cost BlackBerry money to support BBOS and BB10 devices. BBOS devices pay for themselves via BIS (to a point), but BB10 support is a black hole. Many don't think cost cutting Chen is going to keep covering that cost forever.
    05-30-18 01:43 PM
    Oh and their "loyalty rewards" promises... see if you can find those.
    05-30-18 01:44 PM
    I am still waiting for the wide release of the BlackBerry upgrade program! It was announced in December that it was "coming soon".

Perhaps the original plan was to roll it out at BlackBerry Mobile in conjunction with the Key2 which might have been scheduled for release back in March/April time frame.

Fast forward to June for the potential launch of the new K2 and maybe they have it for that. I still believe the final goal is to accelerate the hardware conversion of the BlackBerry OS and BlackBerry 10 user base onto the BlackBerry Android offering as quickly as possible and that shut down any costs associated with the legacy device business.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-18 01:51 PM
    All the info offered here has been helpful but pardon my tech ignorance but I still don't understand why a phone wouldn't work even if it wasn't supported. Isn't the software integral to the device it's on? Couldn't you still call, text, and email? I've hardly ever downloaded an App in my life. That's not my concern.
    05-30-18 01:56 PM
227 123 ...