I see (from looking at Pi-hole logs) that my Playbook is repeatedly calling stun.voip.blackberry.com, turn.voip.blackbery.com and sip.blackberry.com; these internet addresses are presumably to do with the now defunct Video Chat service. So, I suppose, the Playbook phones home, can't make contact and tries again five minutes later, ad infinitum because the server has been decommissioned. Can I uninstall Video Chat, what with it being a system app? How do I stop the Playbook calling these addresses?
    05-07-18 03:08 PM
    That IS a good question! BB is no longer supporting Playbook is any way shape or form. Most of us also have long since replaced our Playbooks with iPads, Android Tablets and Kindle Fire tablets. I hate to say just replace the thing (Kindle Fire Tablets are on sale right now), BUT I highly doubt you'll find much help on this long since EOL device!
    05-07-18 03:28 PM
    How do you get the pi-hole logs? I justice checked GhostCommander and AdvancedManager to see if either of those would be able to disable the app, but no luck. Maybe setup a firewall rule in your router. What would be real neat is if we could self host the server software ourselves in order to get the function to still work.
    pkcable and Digital_Islandboy like this.
    05-07-18 08:00 PM
    I see (from looking at Pi-hole logs) that my Playbook is repeatedly calling stun.voip.blackberry.com, turn.voip.blackbery.com and sip.blackberry.com; these internet addresses are presumably to do with the now defunct Video Chat service. So, I suppose, the Playbook phones home, can't make contact and tries again five minutes later, ad infinitum because the server has been decommissioned. Can I uninstall Video Chat, what with it being a system app? How do I stop the Playbook calling these addresses?
    If you do security wipe it will remove video chat. Please be careful and backup your data or other custom installed application.
    05-08-18 04:38 AM
    While I'd rather my Playbook hadn't started pinging some non-existant servers every five minutes, getting a new tablet seems a bit drastic. As long as Kalemsoft still plays uPnP over my LAN, then my Playbook has a purpose.

Pi-hole runs on a RaspberryPi, it's a DNS server. I can blacklist voip.blackberry.com but that doesn't help.

By security wipe, I take you mean shrink the OS, as per https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...917-a-1096754/ . Is there anyone out there that can confirm not having Video Chat installed makes a difference?
    05-08-18 06:24 AM
    Well, I tried that. With just the OS and only minimal system apps, the Playbook still tries to contact voip.blackberry.com every ten minutes. It seems that the network requests are coming from the OS itself rather than the Video Chat app.

It looks like this problem applies to all Playbooks. Sigh, not exactly a big deal, then. Not that I grudge RIM going broke and switching off their server, but they could have written their software so that it handled a failed connection to the cloud more gracefully .

In the absence of a better fix, I will try to remember to switch off the wi-fi while the tablet is on standby. Although, I don't suppose these unnecessary packets cause much battery drain or amount to a lot of network data.
    05-13-18 03:04 AM
    I see (from looking at Pi-hole logs) that my Playbook is repeatedly calling stun.voip.blackberry.com, turn.voip.blackbery.com and sip.blackberry.com; these internet addresses are presumably to do with the now defunct Video Chat service.....
    Interestingly, if I point a web browser at the sip url, it goes somewhere, what appears to be some sort of image about IIS and then seemingly a link to an IIS7 url for windows.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    05-13-18 06:34 AM