According to the new Crackberry article Mr. John Chen might consider to license out BB10 for the new hardware similar to Bold 9900. In the first case the OS for the new hardware could be kind of a stripped down version of BB10, but you understand that if there will be a stripped down version, there is a huge chance to have a full version as well.

And as everybody is searching for the solution the right question might be, would you pay for that full version and if yes, what should be the price, because after all we do pay for our PC operating systems unless if we are not using Linux. There were 9 Microsoft operating systems for the last 18 years. So if BB10 was a paid OS would you pay for it? Probably that is the question we all have to answer.
    04-17-18 09:33 AM
    No. BB Android does what I need.

I have Google apps at work that I have decided I'm not going to do without and I don't see where I could go back to a BB10 that wouldn't have those apps.

Secondly, few of us pay for our PC operating systems: I purchased a Windows 8 computer and just rode through the free update opportunities until I got to Windows 10.
    04-17-18 09:54 AM
    No. BB Android does what I need.

I have Google apps at work that I have decided I'm not going to do without and I don't see where I could go back to a BB10 that wouldn't have those apps.

Secondly, few of us pay for our PC operating systems: I purchased a Windows 8 computer and just rode through the free update opportunities until I got to Windows 10.
    So you paid for Windows 8.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-18 10:09 AM
    BB10 was already put on the block to rent out and no one wanted to. That hasnt changed Im sure. There wouldnt be enough people that would pay for the OS and new phones either.
    04-17-18 10:09 AM
    According to the new Crackberry article Mr. John Chen might consider to license out BB10 for the new hardware similar to Bold 9900. In the first case the OS for the new hardware could be kind of a stripped down version of BB10, but you understand that if there will be a stripped down version, there is a huge chance to have a full version as well.

And as everybody is searching for the solution the right question might be, would you pay for that full version and if yes, what should be the price, because after all we do pay for our PC operating systems unless if we are not using Linux. There were 9 Microsoft operating systems for the last 18 years. So if BB10 was a paid OS would you pay for it? Probably that is the question we all have to answer.
    You'd need a billion dollars in the first year to get it going again, and about a half billion a year after that to keep it alive in a rather limited/basic way.

You would also have no Android Runtime.

You would also need a licencee, as BlackBerry would not want to get near hardware, support, or distribution with a ten foot pole.

So, some quick math. If you were somehow able to find 100,000 people, you would need to charge $6,500/yr/person for 3 years just for the software - on top of hardware. And that's just so BlackBerry can breakeven - which would be a dumb objective with this level of risk. So make it $10,000 per year. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    04-17-18 10:12 AM
    No one IS/WAS interested with BB10 licensing deals.
    04-17-18 10:37 AM
    I paid for Mac OS X 10.7 (with a MacBook Pro in 2012), and got 10.9, 10.10, 10.11, 10.12, and 10.13 for free. So far. 10.8 was $20.

That's what happens when your hardware sales are good enough to support OS development.
    04-17-18 10:51 AM
    You'd need a billion dollars in the first year to get it going again, and about a half billion a year after that to keep it alive in a rather limited/basic way.

You would also have no Android Runtime.

You would also need a licencee, as BlackBerry would not want to get near hardware, support, or distribution with a ten foot pole.

So, some quick math. If you were somehow able to find 100,000 people, you would need to charge $6,500/yr/person for 3 years just for the software - on top of hardware. And that's just so BlackBerry can breakeven - which would be a dumb objective with this level of risk. So make it $10,000 per year. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Well, obviously it should be a serious company or even several companies. We all agree that there is a demand for the secure platform, especially after all this Oxford Analytica case, and I think Mr. Chen does feel that it’s time to make existing market a bit safer.

So his proposal I guess might interest security oriented companies and not only, to move in this direction and first move on with the basic BB10 OS for governments and corporations, as it once was and then bring an enhanced version for the masses.

Concerning payments, that is not something out of the blue, as I mentioned before Microsoft’s model is quite interesting, many people would pay a reasonable price to upgrade their OS and keep their hardware competitive, instead of buying a new phone. The same is true for the android.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    04-17-18 11:02 AM
    Well, obviously it should be a serious company or even several companies. We all agree that there is a demand for the secure platform, especially after all this Oxford Analytica case, and I think Mr. Chen does feel that it’s time to make existing market a bit safer.

So his proposal I guess might interest security oriented companies and not only, to move in this direction and first move on with the basic BB10 OS for governments and corporations, as it once was and then bring an enhanced version for the masses.

Concerning payments, that is not something out of the blue, as I mentioned before Microsoft’s model is quite interesting, many people would pay a reasonable price to upgrade their OS and keep their hardware competitive, instead of buying a new phone. The same is true for the android.
    First, you are ignoring my math.

Second, the Facebook breach had absolutely nothing to do with smartphone security.

As a matter of fact, try to name any serious security breach that did not involve online accounts and third parties.
    04-17-18 01:17 PM
    First, you are ignoring my math.

Second, the Facebook breach had absolutely nothing to do with smartphone security.

As a matter of fact, try to name any serious security breach that did not involve online accounts and third parties.
    I am not ignoring your math, I just have no idea what the figures will be and probably only Blackberry can know what might be the cost.

Concerning the Facebook and Oxford Analytica case, which, if I am not mistaken involved apps, I just wanted to emphasise the importance of security in the 21 century and importance of security oriented products today.

And as for the security breaches involving smartphones, I guess Angela Merkel bought two Blackberry smartphones for a reason.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    04-17-18 01:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    As part of the purchase price of the computer. Sorry, I didn't make that point explicitly.
    So, when I bought my Classic and my PRIV I paid for the operating systems as part of the purchase price of the phone.

I'm not going to pay extra for the OS.
    04-17-18 01:58 PM
    I am not ignoring your math, I just have no idea what the figures will be and probably only Blackberry can know what might be the cost.

Concerning the Facebook and Oxford Analytica case, which, if I am not mistaken involved apps, I just wanted to emphasise the importance of security in the 21 century and importance of security oriented products today.

And as for the security breaches involving smartphones, I guess Angela Merkel bought two Blackberry smartphones for a reason.
    It had nothing to do with the apps. It had to do with the fact that explicit permission was given to Facebook to harvest contacts info, and they monitor your likes, posts, etc (on the server side).

Merkel never really used BB10 per se - she used Securesmart.
    crberryy likes this.
    04-17-18 02:00 PM

that is privacy and not security really
    04-17-18 02:05 PM
    Regarding OP's question: I think I am sooner or later will be paying for Sailfish. It's an interesting OS based on Meego. It has some focus on security. It's also able to run android apps if you have an interest in it. The price today is about 60 USD. The bad side today is that it's only installable on very few phones, among them Xperia X.

I would definitely pay for an OS separately if it worked like in the PC world where very different OS:es could be installed on any computer. That would be great and fun!
    04-17-18 02:14 PM
    Regarding OP's question: I think I am sooner or later will be paying for Sailfish. It's an interesting OS based on Meego. It has some focus on security. It's also able to run android apps if you have an interest in it. The price today is about 60 USD. The bad side today is that it's only installable on very few phones, among them Xperia X.

I would definitely pay for an OS separately if it worked like in the PC world where very different OS:es could be installed on any computer. That would be great and fun!
    Sailfish is nowhere near locked down enough for enterprise. It is 5 years behind in certifications of both Apple and Android.
    04-17-18 02:18 PM
    Sailfish is nowhere near locked down enough for enterprise. It is 5 years behind in certifications of both Apple and Android.
    I am sure you are right, but I find it interesting likwise. There is definitely a potential, be it only niche OS.
    04-17-18 02:29 PM
    Concerning the Facebook and Oxford Analytica case, which, if I am not mistaken involved apps
    First of all, it's Cambridge Analytica. You can't even seem to get basic facts right.

Second of all, what you are referring to was an issue with an app on the Facebook platform (This Is Your Digital Life), which is run entirely on Facebook servers and not installed in any way on client devices. So, in other words, nothing to do with smartphone security.
    04-17-18 03:37 PM

It's "Cambridge", not " Oxford".

I know, those British universities all seem alike, right?

Facebook does have apps, but most are actually made to run through the browser on a PC, and I think that was the platform used for the apps in question.
    04-17-18 03:51 PM

Are you able to run Android apps on the Xperia X? 'Cause last time I read about it, which wasn't too long ago, I read that the Android runtime was only available for the Jolla phones.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red) <3
    04-17-18 03:51 PM
    Yes, you are right, it's Cambridge Analytica, my mistake. Concerning the Facebook case, it's not what this thread is all about.
    04-17-18 03:55 PM
    I might.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-18 04:44 PM
    Yes I would... if I were able to afford using $100 bills as toilet paper.

Posted via CB10
    ppeters914 and kbz1960 like this.
    04-17-18 08:00 PM

I love a dry wit.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-18 10:44 PM
    Are you able to run Android apps on the Xperia X? 'Cause last time I read about it, which wasn't too long ago, I read that the Android runtime was only available for the Jolla phones.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red) <3
    https://jolla.com/sailfishx/

Posted via CB10
    04-17-18 11:16 PM
    Didn't really want to get in on this discussion because any sane person knows BB10 will never come back in any way shape or or form.

But, those numbers you quoted are based on RIMs previous horribly wasteful spending habits. Yes BB10 RIM would have wasted that much money on developing and maintaining BB10, but they were pissing money down the drain at a pace the world has never seen. Chens job was to come in and fire all of those wasteful employees and divisions. And he's done an excellent job at it.

If a competent and fiscally responsible organization took control of what remains of BB10 today, they could easily maintain and update it for a fraction of the numbers you quoted.

Not saying it will ever happen, because it won't. Just wanted to add my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-18 11:36 PM
446 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD