So I'm a proud Blackberry Motion owner...

However with Blackberry sueing the **** outta every social media app ever,
    I'm aware they need money badly but why oh why the hell are u sueing over "Intellectual Property's"
    taken from BBM like 5 years ago.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Blackberry,

Please stop sueing these huge socialmedia powerhouses such as Facebook.

YOU'LL LOSE THIS BATTLE NO MATTER WHAT YOU CLAIM THEY USED WITHOUT PERMISSION.

Don't let this be the last thing u do.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article of reference:
    https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/04/...nt_a_23403684/
    04-07-18 05:13 PM
    They have won plenty of suits before.
    portplayer likes this.
    04-07-18 05:44 PM
    Seriously? Last thing? You might want to read up on BB. As well, the only shocking thing about the lawsuits is that it's taken this long. And if another company copies something then they should pay. And remember BB just won a suit worth almost a billion dollars. By your reasoning designs of hand bags should just accept Chinese knock offs. And didn't Apple sue over a radius?
    04-07-18 08:03 PM
    So I'm a proud Blackberry Motion owner...

However with Blackberry sueing the **** outta every social media app ever,
    I'm aware they need money badly but why oh why the hell are u sueing over "Intellectual Property's"
    taken from BBM like 5 years ago.

Dear Blackberry,

Article of reference:
    https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/04/...nt_a_23403684/
    Really? Anyone who followed the development of WhatsApp knows it was a complete rip off of bbm.

I got 50 bucks that says FB settles , hopefully before their stock drops even more
    04-07-18 08:23 PM
    BlackBerry Mobile - a subsidiary of TCL and the maker of your Motion - is not suing anyone.

BlackBerry Limited, the Canadian company with a portfolio of over 40,000 patents, is doing the lawsuits. And rightly so. Or should they just let other companies profit by using their proprietary tech without fair compensation?
    04-07-18 09:06 PM
    If you bothered to read the filings, you would know BlackBerry offered to settle without litigation for months.
    04-09-18 12:44 PM
    I really hope BlackBerry beats the crap out of FB, WhatsApp, Instagram and Snap.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.3.2163
    04-09-18 12:50 PM
    Dear Blackberry,

Die a hero or live long enough to become the villain...
    04-09-18 12:54 PM
    Yeah even if BlackBerry wins, I think the perception of the company is one that people won't look on favorable. But at this point BlackBerry is out of the consumer business, and I doubt they care.... Monetizing their IP via patent trolling has much more potential than anything the licensing of the Brand will ever get them.

But the other poster that compered this to their seeing Qualcomm... that was about getting a refund on royalty payments, not about Qualcomm using their IP. Their payments to Qualcomm was based on expected sales... that never happened.
    04-09-18 01:21 PM
    Yeah even if BlackBerry wins, I think the perception of the company is one that people won't look on favorable. But at this point BlackBerry is out of the consumer business, and I doubt they care.... Monetizing their IP via patent trolling has much more potential than anything the licensing of the Brand will ever get them.

But the other poster that compered this to their seeing Qualcomm... that was about getting a refund on royalty payments, not about Qualcomm using their IP. Their payments to Qualcomm was based on expected sales... that never happened.
    If you're not going to protect your intellectual property with a patent lawsuit, then why file a patent in the first place. Stealing intellectual property is STEALING. I'm assuming that I can steal everything you own and you're OK with that as long as it's for the common good, you're OK with that.

If not everything, then let me know what your dollar cap is and you can just send that amount to me via PayPal.... It's not right to accuse companies of patent trolling..
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 04-09-18 at 02:44 PM.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    04-09-18 02:13 PM

They're lucky they're not in New Zealand.
    04-09-18 02:20 PM
    It was estimated that Microsoft made up to 2 Billion a year, $5-15 per handset, from licensing patents to Android OEMs (MS sued for this). That was in 2014.

Not opposing to patent licensing at all vs using them to prevent products from entering the market which I believe hinders innovation. Or you can do what Google does and cross-license. Additional access to patents doesn't do BB much good so they went the licensing route.
    04-09-18 02:24 PM
    Lawsuits are part of the game.

If you have a case it would be irresponsible not to pursue.

Apple sued Microsoft for Windows, this case was tied up in the courts for years, but many thought Apple had a strong case, many also thought they would never win it. When Apple was on it's deathbed in the late 90s, Microsoft cut a deal with Jobs to to invest in the company and to start producing Mac versions of Office again. In return Microsoft got Apple to drop the lawsuit and a license to the features in question.

Blackberry would be irresponsible to let its intellectual property to be ignored, and lawsuits can always pan out even if winning isn't in the cards.
    04-09-18 04:09 PM
    Lawsuits are part of the game.

If you have a case it would be irresponsible not to pursue.

Apple sued Microsoft for Windows, this case was tied up in the courts for years, but many thought Apple had a strong case, many also thought they would never win it. When Apple was on it's deathbed in the late 90s, Microsoft cut a deal with Jobs to to invest in the company and to start producing Mac versions of Office again. In return Microsoft got Apple to drop the lawsuit and a license to the features in question.

Blackberry would be irresponsible to let its intellectual property to be ignored, and lawsuits can always pan out even if winning isn't in the cards.
    My issues is they waited so long to file this.... it's one thing to say they have been in talks with these other companies. But for how long, a decade of talking?

Most of today's mobile messenger users... don't even know what BBM is. To hear that BlackBerry is suing their messenger of choice that they have been using for years.... that will sour their impression of BlackBerry. Right or Wrong... the brand will take a hit.

It's just that at this point, Chen doesn't really care that much about consumers... so it doesn't matter.

If you are a BlackBerry shareholder... this might be good news. If you are a fan of BlackBerry, hoping that TCL will be able to gain some traction.... this isn't going to help - but then that's probable why they filed now anyway.
    04-10-18 07:56 AM

Most of today's mobile messenger users... don't even know what BBM is. To hear that BlackBerry is suing their messenger of choice that they have been using for years.... that will sour their impression of BlackBerry. Right or Wrong... the brand will take a hit.

It's just that at this point, Chen doesn't really care that much about consumers... so it doesn't matter.
    Well, I am a BB owner and I am NOT soured.

You are "soured". Tough.

I have a person leading my country that I don't like or agree with. They are still the legally elected leader of my country. This is life.

This, by the way, will not be BB's legacy. Lots more life left in BB as a software company.
    04-10-18 09:50 AM
    My issues is they waited so long to file this.... it's one thing to say they have been in talks with these other companies. But for how long, a decade of talking?

If you are a BlackBerry shareholder... this might be good news. If you are a fan of BlackBerry, hoping that TCL will be able to gain some traction.... this isn't going to help - but then that's probable why they filed now anyway.
    As Bla1ze stated they have been trying to settle this for a while now.

These things generally tied up for a long time in and out of court. Personally , I think this will be a slam dunk for BlackBerry LTD
    04-10-18 10:35 AM
    Live for nothing, or die for something!

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    04-30-18 12:16 PM

It's not patent trolling when they have a legitiment case ( assuming they do) or else any lawsuit for any patent infringement in your mind would be patent trolling. They have a right to monetize their IP. Whether they do it now or did it 7 years ago. What's the difference? It's still their IP.
    04-30-18 12:27 PM
    It's not patent trolling when they have a legitiment case ( assuming they do) or else any lawsuit for any patent infringement in your mind would be patent trolling. They have a right to monetize their IP. Whether they do it now or did it 7 years ago. What's the difference? It's still their IP.
    My thing is most of the "processes" they claim are their patent... were used by PC Messaging systems long before mobile devices. Just because they stuck the word mobile in the description, I don't really see that as them being innovative.

But that's what the courts are for, and if they win... it will be HUGE.

Timing has more to do with the average consumers perception... but it could also factor into the case. You can patent something, and then not protect your patent... and find after some time that it's no longer considered yours.
    04-30-18 01:11 PM
    My thing is most of the "processes" they claim are their patent... were used by PC Messaging systems long before mobile devices. Just because they stuck the word mobile in the description, I don't really see that as them being innovative.

But that's what the courts are for, and if they win... it will be HUGE.

Timing has more to do with the average consumers perception... but it could also factor into the case. You can patent something, and then not protect your patent... and find after some time that it's no longer considered yours.
    Yes that's all fine and dandy and the courts will decide. But branding them a patent troll is not accurate in the least. Patent trolls never have any intention to use their patent for their own tech/products and just sit on patents till they can find someone to sue. That is not what is happening here at all.
    04-30-18 01:14 PM
    Patents were never intended to protect IDEAS, only implementations. You can't patent the idea of a potato peeler, but you can patent a particular design of a potato peeler.

I don't have enough information either way to know if BB has a case, but just because they developed a mobile messenger does not mean that they own the idea of a mobile messenger. They may well own the rights to specific features if it can be proven that nothing similar had existed before and that the idea wasn't obvious. Ultimately, a court will decide, or they'll settle once they see how seriously the court is considering their case.
    05-02-18 03:38 PM
    Yes that's all fine and dandy and the courts will decide. But branding them a patent troll is not accurate in the least. Patent trolls never have any intention to use their patent for their own tech/products and just sit on patents till they can find someone to sue. That is not what is happening here at all.
    If BlackBerry were not a publicly traded company, owned in large part by institutional investors, the majority of whom bought it for its IP assets as opposed to future software revenue growth, and it wasn't sitting on a few billion in cash to make an eventual buyout more attractive - than I might agree with you.
    05-02-18 04:05 PM
    If BlackBerry were not a publicly traded company, owned in large part by institutional investors, the majority of whom bought it for its IP assets as opposed to future software revenue growth, and it wasn't sitting on a few billion in cash to make an eventual buyout more attractive - than I might agree with you.
    Regardless of the reason, there's no such thing as patent troll. If you have a unique idea and can patent the idea, so be it. You have to jump through all kinds of requirements to patent an idea. Just like copyrighting a brand and people counterfeit. If you want to use something belonging to someone else, you obtain permission. If not it's stealing.
    glwerry likes this.
    05-02-18 04:37 PM
    Regardless of the reason, there's no such thing as patent troll.
    I'm not so sure about that. BlackBerry seems to be making a name for itself as one, whether or not we agree on the exact definition; and public perception is what matters. Once these cases move forward we will be hearing a lot more in the media about BlackBerry court cases than new products, services, and licensing deals. I'm not convinced Chen and friends have really thought out the end game of this strategy very carefully.

It doesn't really bother me either way because my interest and/or respect for the current corporate governance at BlackBerry is marginal at best. Thankfully I'm not a shareholder nor an employee either...so I don't feel it's incumbent for me to defend the reputation of the company every time someone mentions the term 'patent troll' on CB.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-02-18 04:53 PM
    I'm not so sure about that. BlackBerry seems to be making a name for itself as one, whether or not we agree on the exact definition; and public perception is what matters. Once these cases move forward we will be hearing a lot more in the media about BlackBerry court cases than new products, services, and licensing deals. I'm not convinced Chen and friends have really thought out the end game of this strategy very carefully.

It doesn't really bother me either way because my interest and/or respect for the current corporate governance at BlackBerry is marginal at best. Thankfully I'm not a shareholder nor an employee either...so I don't feel it's incumbent for me to defend the reputation of the company every time someone mentions the term 'patent troll' on CB.
    What's the point of owning an expensive portfolio of patents? They are business assets, like any other.
    05-02-18 05:01 PM
59 123