The priv slider will answer a call, turn the screen on and off ,that's about it.
    The old 9800 and 9810 would end a call also
    I am sure far more could or should be made of this control action.
    02-18-18 02:06 AM
    You won't have to worry about it, no new slider is coming lol.
    towngirl likes this.
    02-18-18 09:03 AM
    Everyone is running with the slider story. EVERYONE.
    Thank to you, I just sit back and laugh

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.3.2163
    02-18-18 09:22 AM
    Out of curiosity Bla1ze, I'm assuming you have direct confirmation from TCL/BBMo there will in fact be no Priv 2 being produced at any point in time?

Inquiring minds would like to know...

Bob
    02-18-18 08:35 PM
    Out of curiosity Bla1ze, I'm assuming you have direct confirmation from TCL/BBMo there will in fact be no Priv 2 being produced at any point in time?

Inquiring minds would like to know...

Bob
    He doesn't need any direct confirmation.
    The pieces just don't add up together to hint a slider.
    He's just using common sense and a bit of digging up.

Gajja likes this.
    02-18-18 11:12 PM
    He doesn't need any direct confirmation.
    The pieces just don't add up together to hint a slider.
    He's just using common sense and a bit of digging up.

Exactly. There's nothing about 'Uni' that makes sense. Atena and Luna, however, you can correlate them back to previously leaked info, data and rumors. eg: BBE100-1 and BBF100-1 model numbers, configuration files from TCL's servers, the codenames following the Greek god and goddess pattern etc.
    AmritD likes this.
    02-19-18 12:46 AM
    Dude.. Stop with the "lol" after every post. Nothings funny and you're not actually laughing out loud. It's ridiculous. A simple period i.e. "." would suffice.
    02-19-18 04:54 AM
    Dude.. Stop with the "lol" after every post. Nothings funny and you're not actually laughing out loud. It's ridiculous. A simple period i.e. "." would suffice.
    I think it's funny...

I own a PRIV. It was a commercial failure. It was such a failure that more AT&T PRIV devices were probably sold on Amazon or Ebay than in AT&T itself.

I like the design, however, it's obvious BBMo/TCL have data that says otherwise.
    02-19-18 06:36 AM
    Remove the stick from your behind.
    02-19-18 07:04 AM
    Remove the stick from your behind.
    Well, giving that you heeded to my advice and left out the infamous "lol".. I'll give yours a think.
    02-19-18 07:26 AM
    I think it's funny...

I own a PRIV. It was a commercial failure. It was such a failure that more AT&T PRIV devices were probably sold on Amazon or Ebay than in AT&T itself.

I like the design, however, it's obvious BBMo/TCL have data that says otherwise.
    However, the reason for it's commercial failure probably has little to do with it's sliding mechanism.
    skinnymike1 and Bbnivende like this.
    02-19-18 07:40 AM
    However, the reason for it's commercial failure probably has little to do with it's sliding mechanism.
    It really doesn't matter about the list of problems the PRIV had. It still would have been a commercial failure. There is so much data that successful OEMs have. If there's money to be made with slider, it would be in production with an OEM already. It's not like BlackBerry invented the category.

The PKB customer niche is small but larger than Slider base.
    02-19-18 08:32 AM
    It really doesn't matter about the list of problems the PRIV had. It still would have been a commercial failure. There is so much data that successful OEMs have. If there's money to be made with slider, it would be in production with an OEM already. It's not like BlackBerry invented the category.

The PKB customer niche is small but larger than Slider base.
    Slider is a niche audience inside a niche audience.
    02-19-18 09:00 AM
    Why? It's the perfect compromise for both slabbers and those who like clicking real buttons.

Well, slabbers who want to sometimes click buttons, but don't want smaller screen.
    nas2 likes this.
    02-19-18 09:16 AM
    Why? It's the perfect compromise for both slabbers and those who like clicking real buttons.

Well, slabbers who want to sometimes click buttons, but don't want smaller screen.

I dunno why. That's a question for the people who hate sliders. I don't mind them.
    02-19-18 09:18 AM

It's just too big and heavy, with too many failure points and moving parts.
    02-19-18 09:30 AM

OEMs don't care so much about the why. If a perfect circle factor shaped like a drink coaster sold one million units and was reasonably profitable, you'd find it offered by an OEM.

While I liked the PRIV slider, eventually, it was just a heavy VKB device for me. Simple brain of mine forgot it even had a PKB. Since getting my KEYone, I prefer the PKB and use it since I don't have a choice on this device.

Everybody here on CB seems to laugh at iPhones. Every OEM would love to be Apple. They make the iPhone the way they do, since that's what their demographic expects and pays for. Companies are only in business to make as much profit as possible. Right?
    02-19-18 09:48 AM
    You answered your own question. Its a compromise.
    A compromise that would just cannibalize sales from their other products.
    02-19-18 11:07 AM
    It's just too big and heavy, with too many failure points and moving parts.
    The Priv's 180 grams isn't as heavy as phablets like the iPhone 8 plus or Note 8, so I don't see why that would be the deterrent.

As for failure points, do most customers really think about moving parts when making a phone purchase?

Besides, the Priv's most known faults didn't even have to do with the sliding mechanism itself, but rather simply the chosen processor and back panel.
    nas2 likes this.
    02-19-18 12:57 PM
    The Priv's 180 grams isn't as heavy as phablets like the iPhone 8 plus or Note 8, so I don't see why that would be the deterrent.

As for failure points, do most customers really think about moving parts when making a phone purchase?

Besides, the Priv's most known faults didn't even have to do with the sliding mechanism itself, but rather simply the chosen processor and back panel.
    192g. The LG G4 was basically the same device without the keyboard, and it was 155g.

It's TCL who cares about failure points.

It's market research that determines expected demand.

As Bla1ze said, it's a niche of a niche, and not commercially viable.
    02-19-18 01:00 PM
    192g.
    It's TCL who cares about failure points.
    I think those who purchased a KEYone when it was first released might not agree with this statement... I believe KEYones having their screens popping off would be considered a "failure point."

Bob
    02-19-18 01:36 PM
    I think those who purchased a KEYone when it was first released might not agree with this statement... I believe KEYones having their screens popping off would be considered a "failure point."

Bob
    That was an assembly issue that was resolved immediately.

KEYᵒⁿᵉs have been rock solid since - as well as the Motion.

The Priv was an ongoing, constant source of headaches for BlackBerry.
    02-19-18 01:39 PM
    That was an assembly issue that was resolved immediately.

KEYᵒⁿᵉs have been rock solid since - as well as the Motion.

Still... the screens were popping off so to me that is a major "fail." Yes, TCL/BBMo did resolve the screen issue but it resulted in it being a major PITA for a number of KEYone owners getting a replacement, etc.

I have had my Priv since launch and I have not had any issues with "failure points." The sliding mechanism has functioned flawlessly. My Priv has been subjected to some extreme conditions and it has not failed. The build quality has been outstanding.

Unfortunately it is getting tired and it is not as responsive as it once was and I really need to get a new device. The first generation KEYone with the screen issue was a major concern for me as well as the spec's. Hopefully a second generation KEYone will be released with upgraded spec's and I will no doubt purchase one. Of course my preference would be a second generation Priv...

Bob
    Sigewif likes this.
    02-19-18 02:00 PM

Maybe if they actually took the time to test a couple prototype Priv’s with Android LP loaded before production, they would have immediately noticed the overheating issues and could have gone to another processor for actual production runs.

But I guess it can’t be that simple...
    Sigewif likes this.
    02-19-18 02:01 PM
    Exactly. And if there was decent money to be made surely one other manufacturer in the entire world would have made them by now. LOL.
    02-19-18 02:22 PM
69 123