Google is good at building phones but terrible at selling them:

https://search.app.goo.gl/VUUd

I guess the answer to the question in the subject line of this post is 'by providing and unique software experience'

That doesn't mean that we bring BB10 to Android. It means that on top of sticking to PKB (seems like we are already headed in that direction!) the Suite becomes more complete:

1. Make Hub an SMS client
    2. Create a BlackBerry dialer with VM integration into Hub

I can go on and on, you guys get the point!
    02-13-18 03:00 PM

I guess the answer to the question in the subject line of this post is 'by providing and unique software experience'

That doesn't mean that we bring BB10 to Android. It means that on top of sticking to PKB (seems like we are already headed in that direction!) the Suite becomes more complete:

Yes the suite needs more work.... most would agree.

But for Chen, the money has got to be there to cover that cost.... BBMo sells more phones, they get more software "pluses".
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 02-13-18 at 03:42 PM.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    02-13-18 03:23 PM
    Yes the suite needs more work.... most would agree.

But for Chen, the money has got to be there to cover that cost.... BBMo sales more phones, they get more software "pluses".
    The money has got to be there whether we are running a grocery store or a mobile enterprise! Completely agree with you!

Note: not to under estimate the complexity of running a grocery store, just the sake of comparison.
    02-13-18 03:26 PM
    Don't confuse the suite (which is available to all, and therefore is not a differentiator), with a BlackBerry Mobile device running hardened BlackBerry Android.
    02-13-18 03:31 PM
    Don't confuse the suite (which is available to all, and therefore is not a differentiator), with a BlackBerry Mobile device running hardened BlackBerry Android.
    True true! Though some of the Suite apps and features can and SHOULD be exclusive to BlackBerry devices, IMO.
    02-13-18 03:44 PM
    just like nokia - hardware and software integrated with a good design and resonable price.. https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/13/1...oneplus-report
    Chen didn't see the value follow the nokia route... as for exclusive suite for BB? that will limited Chen pocket change... I don't think he will go for it... (should kept the design group and farm out MFG).
    elfabio80 likes this.
    02-13-18 03:58 PM
    True true! Though some of the Suite apps and features can and SHOULD be exclusive to BlackBerry devices, IMO.
    DTEK and the VKb.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-13-18 04:08 PM
    DTEK and the VKb.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Productivity Tab too!
    02-13-18 04:11 PM

Google has made it clear from the beginning (with the Nexus One) and several times since then that they have no intention of trying to compete in volume sales like a normal phone manufacturer. They have hundreds of OEMs to do that for them, and they don't want to become significant competition to those OEMs. They intentionally limit advertising and availability of their phones.

Understand that Google only makes phones at all because they're trying to set a standard for other OEMs and to show what Android can do. They don't need to sell tens of millions of phones to do that.

Consider that just the last quarter, Google had $100 Billion in gross ad revenues (selling ads is their primary business). The money they make from phones, by comparison, might as well be pocket lint - and that's 100% intentional.
    02-13-18 08:15 PM
    Gents, it's a Blackberry! Need we say more! Unless you are a millennial, you should know better! Cheers ,
    phuoc likes this.
    02-13-18 08:58 PM

As has been pointed out by the BlackBerry devs (I don't remember the thread where), there isn't much point in making Hub an SMS client as that would require a lot of approvals and costs which Google has already taken and the other SMS clients as well. They'd rather invest that time and effort elsewhere. And to me that makes a lot sense. I'd rather have them tie up with some 3rd Party SMS client that integrates with the HUB perfectly and is probably included by default (but that would still pose problems for the approval process since HUB ships out by default on BerryDroids)
    But BlackBerry still has a lot of scope to Polish their software in so many other aspects.
    They should rather work at bringing unique things than spending their limited time and money on an SMS client which so many others are already doing.
    My wishlist.
    1. Integrate the HUB and launcher deeper into the OS so as to make it lighter, smoother and much more stable.
    2. Improve the already great ideas - Device search although awesome is still terribly slow thereby killing the app almost completely.
    3. Improving the camera software. Still many features lacking compared to the flagships (For e.g. Time lapse)
    4. The obvious - BlackBerry Blend
    5. Trying to push out OS updates much faster than their current timeline (MAXIMUM 3 months after Google releases it for their phones)
    6. Developing all the Media apps (Pictures, music, File Manager, Videos which also recognise keyboard and volume key shortcuts)
    7. BlackBerry Express
    I'll add more when I can recall them.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.3.2163
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    02-13-18 09:08 PM
    Google has a totally different target audience
    02-13-18 10:01 PM
    But what BB can do is put out a standard and let another company develop to that standard knowing that their app will be included on all BB phones. We'd have to pay for the apps or accept ads but at least we know the app will work seamless with the HUB.

That goes for phone, notes, music etc...
    02-13-18 10:31 PM
    The difference being, Google doesn't REALLLLY care if they sell that much. BlackBerry does. Even a BlackBerry device sale counts for Google's bottom line, BlackBerry can't say the same. On top of that, it's still growth for Google in hardware sales.

While that's technically double the phones Google shipped in 2016, there's a fairly important caveat to take note of. Google started selling the first-gen Pixel in October of 2016, meaning that it only had about 3 months of 2016 to sell the phone. That 3.9 million number accounts for all of 2017, meaning that sales were taken from both the Pixel and Pixel 2 over the course of 12 months.
    https://www.androidcentral.com/googl...el-phones-2017
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    02-14-18 01:18 AM
    Difference being, Google doesn't REALLLLY care if they sell that much. BlackBerry does.
    Precisely the reason for my post! It's not only BlackBerry that cares but I think it's the entire community, at least the CrackBerry community...

It's because we care that we constantly and enthusiastically point out to BlackBerry: 'do this, that or the other, so that you can be better'

Most likely Google or even Apple for that matter don't have that kind of special core customers that are not only sticking with the brand but continually supporting it in this forum or another; this is why I think that BlackBerry should listen to their customers so that they get further carve that niche with a more unique integrated software experience that no other device ships with!

Security is important but usability is what sells (more so than security) and this is where we need to see massive improvement on BlackDroid devices!
    IndianTiwari and BigBadWulf like this.
    02-14-18 01:27 AM
    Oh come on, man. What the hell is BlackBerry "hardened" Android?

Do you mean their promise of security updates? Because you can take a look at this forum and see that nobody gets them on time or even with any sense of regularity.

We're approaching March 2018 and none of their devices have been updated to 8.0 and no timeline set.

The Android Hub is great and nothing else exists like it, but it's available to all Android devices. I love it on my P10 Plus that I manually updated to Android 8.0. Such options do not exist on BB Android. So tell me again what the hell is the reason to use a BlackBerry besides the hope of a decent PKB?
    fairmarketvalue likes this.
    02-14-18 01:44 AM
    We're approaching March 2018 and none of their devices have been updated to 8.0 and no timeline set.
    So on par with 99% of the Android devices out there lol. Congrats on being part of the 1%?

If Google can't sell enough phones, how can BlackBerry?-screenshot-2018-02-14-03.57.28.png
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-14-18 01:58 AM
    So on par with 99% of the Android devices out there lol. Congrats on being part of the 1%?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2018-02-14 03.57.28.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	434312
    I don't think 99% is an accurate representation of android phones that don't get at least one update.

Especially when they're sold at the price that current BlackBerry devices are sold at.

But keep deflecting.
    02-14-18 02:02 AM
    Oh come on, man. What the hell is BlackBerry "hardened" Android?

Do you mean their promise of security updates? Because you can take a look at this forum and see that nobody gets them on time or even with any sense of regularity.

The Android Hub is great and nothing else exists like it, but it's available to all Android devices. I love it on my P10 Plus that I manually updated to Android 8.0. Such options do not exist on BB Android. So tell me again what the hell is the reason to use a BlackBerry besides the hope of a decent PKB?
    At the moment there is no reason, unless you care for security that much and understand everything about what goes under the hood...

I bet that though security is important, it must a very small group of people that actually buy a phone because of its security features...

Sure, keep working on security but put much more effort into creating a unique integrated software experience! Build a differentiating factor and market the heck out of it!

Instead of random IG pics of KEYone and Motion, start posting about features that are available on BlackBerry devices ONLY!
    zer0ten and fairmarketvalue like this.
    02-14-18 02:03 AM
    But keep deflecting.
    I don't have to deflect. What you decide to roll with is up to you. I just hate to see people stuck in this idea that Android Oreo is everywhere, it's really not lol.
    Frank Costanza likes this.
    02-14-18 02:09 AM
    At the moment there is no reason, unless you care for security that much and understand everything about what goes under the hood...

I bet that though security is important, it must a very small group of people that actually buy a phone because of its security features...

Sure, keep working on security but put much more effort into creating a unique integrated software experience! Build a differentiating factor and market the heck out of it!

Instead of random IG pics of KEYone and Motion, start posting about features that are available on BlackBerry devices ONLY!
    Well said
    02-14-18 02:09 AM
    I don't have to deflect. What you decide to roll with is up to you. I just hate to see people stuck in this idea that Android Oreo is everywhere, it's really not lol.
    Dude you are deflecting. It's not everywhere but it's not unreasonable to expect the K1 or Motion to have been updated at this point. Sony was dropping devices with Oreo last September. That's almost 6 months ago. There's no excuse for BlackBerry, a self proclaimed software company.
    02-14-18 02:14 AM
    Dude you are deflecting. It's not everywhere but it's not unreasonable to expect the K1 or Motion to have been updated at this point. Sony was dropping devices with Oreo last September. That's almost 6 months ago. There's no excuse for BlackBerry, a self proclaimed software company.
    Did you know that KEYone was launched with Nougat 7.1 out of the box?

I have an S8 & still don't got google oreo & i'm not aching for it because Nougat does everything it should.

Maybe BB is fine tuning the Oreo experience device by device, they've got 5 devices to deal with now till 2018 ends, and they may launch Oreo a little later in the product lifecycle of their products, just like how KEYone could have been launched on Nougat 7.0, but instead came with a functional stable 7.1

Security can be maintained on older OS's too for a limited time, and that claim of BB android has not yet been beaten because Google releases security patches.

An OS can be a little old and remain 99.9% functional. Case in point my S8, the Oreo which it should has fancy edge lighting settings and redesigned menus.

Nothing earth shattering for Samsung to think about it's users. Sony doesn't make a profit anyway & are there for legacy sakes. Faster releases does make for troublesome user experience.
    02-14-18 04:20 AM
    Lol it's amusing how some phone nerds feel that the Apocalypse is near when their device doesn't have the latest OS. 😵
    02-14-18 05:14 AM
    Android Oreo comes out of the box only on few handsets:
    Sony XZ1, XZ1 Compact, XA2, XA2 Ultra
    Huawei Mate 10, Mate 10 Pro
    HTC U11+, U11 Life, U11 Eyes
    Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL

and that's about it as far as I know. None of the Samsungs or LGs ship with Oreo. Surprisingly none of the mainstream cheap Chinese brands either feature Oreo out of the box.

That still doesn't relinquish BBRY from non existent OS upgrades on their Android devices so far. Yes, you could justify they crippled Priv cause they wanted to move K1 and DTEKs were nothing but market's pulse survey devices but still they have issue single whole digit increment update on their hardware. That's a very poor update track record so far, coupled with poor and late monthly patches it's something they need to improve upon if they want to breakthrough in premium Android playground.

They also need to fix the design of their devices cause Alcatel developed DTEKs and Motion are absolutely budget like phones despite soldi fit and finish
    02-14-18 05:37 AM
116 123 ...