I have a 4yr old Z30 that has recently started having a screen flicker in a rectangle shape the same size/place as the keyboard. It doesn't always happen, but about 50% of the times I wake the screen up, I'll get a blank rectangle appear where the keyboard sits, as the screen is lighting up. Also if the screen is left to go to sleep on its own, just as its blacking out, there will be a brightrectangle appear over the keyboard position.

One other symptom I've noticed is during charging. I have a wireless charging adapter fitted, and normally charge the phone overnight, with the phone in bedside mode. I've noticed a few times recently that the screen will randomly flash in the keyboard area while it charges.

At the weekend I tried upgrading the operating system to the latest 10.3.3.3057, thnking that this might fix it, however it has made no difference.

Would I be safe in assuming its a problem with the actual screen? Anyone else getting this?

I've been wondering if it's time to change the handset, athough apart from this problem, its working fine.
    01-15-18 04:45 AM
    It's a 4 year old malfunctioning device with an EOL OS. Upgrade it.
    01-15-18 05:03 AM
    I have a 4yr old Z30 that has recently started having a screen flicker in a rectangle shape the same size/place as the keyboard...Would I be safe in assuming its a problem with the actual screen? Anyone else getting this?

I've been wondering if it's time to change the handset, athough apart from this problem, its working fine.
    I have the exact same issue, and that's all it is, an issue. No loss in performance while in the wake state. The 'rectangle' near the screen bottom on wake up started small (about 1/2 in.) almost two years ago and has grown to 50%+ area of the screen every time I use the power button with again no other change in device performance. I have the latest software 10.3.3.1463 so no improvement through updates. I liken it to what happens when your house has a large initial draw of electricity that dims all the lights and after the initial surge all is well. My guess is the battery is getting older and the rectangle is growing cause there is less surge power to fill all those pixels up fast enough. BB!0 is not EOL yet and Z30 is still a flagship device IMO. For ex, I just got a 2018 Toyota and the built-in wireless charging deck works with this phone, it streams my music and breaks in to read my texts and emails to me...now if I can only get Google Play on it without needing a PhD to figure it out! For comfort sake, I keep a backup and will drive my Z30 until it dies because it suits my needs. If the flicker really bugs you, go buy a new battery, replace it, and let me know how that works for you But I do not think you need to upgrade - like I said, this has been happening for a very long time and if my screen doesn't wake up someday, then I'll try a new battery before I change phones.
    01-26-18 04:55 AM
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one, and I agree completely with your views on the Z30. I wonder how many of the current phones (not just BB's) will still be around and fully functioning in 4yrs time??
    01-26-18 05:19 AM
    Those symptoms are very similar to what I saw on my own Z30, shortly before the display failed... Start looking for a replacement screen, or device, now.
    01-28-18 10:00 AM
    Don't upgrade your phone if you don't want to. Get a new screen put in and you should be good to go! I'm still rocking my end of life 4 year old phone until they pry it from my hands. It will still work as a phone 10 years from now, so go for it!

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    02-19-18 09:32 PM