Posted via CB10
    12-02-17 04:04 PM
    I'm looking to get the Dtek 60. Price has hit $530CDN. Currently running Passport, but some programs I need are now Android or IOS only and I can't get them run even with Cobalt's stuff. Dtek 60 looks like it's still up to date spec wise with today's phone's. Love the fact it's an OLED screen. Any reason why I shouldn't?

Posted via CB10
    12-02-17 04:08 PM
    Posted via CB10
    Lack of security patches. The biggest reason of all.
    Joemcbb and tfitzpat03 like this.
    12-02-17 04:22 PM
    Don't get me wrong I love my Dtek60 but that battery is a huge deal for me and the patches is becoming an issue. If you're looking to upgrade I'd go Keyone or Motion.
    Joemcbb, jlinc and anon(7915689) like this.
    12-02-17 06:19 PM
    make sure you are in a country where BlackBerry service center are available. if not, be ready for some serious pain when you need assistance. other than that the dteck 60 is a great phone
    12-03-17 12:21 AM
    My KEYone is being repaired and I went back to my DTEK60. It's a fine phone. Nice sound. Reasonably fast processor. Battery runs down quickly but charges very quickly. I must say I am so angry at BlackBerry for yet again leaving it's consumers in the lurch that I can not support buying this phone. it's a year old and receives little support. If you want to stay BlackBerry them why not a Motion? But at this point I say why BlackBerry at all... I have had BlackBerrys since the beginning but corporate record is not good. Like my beautiful Passport SE BlackBerry dropped the ball every time. I get it - it is shifting to an other business. We need to recognize it. At the same time, I look for a phone whose DNA is an orientation to productivity in filing and messaging and which also has a good camera and I just can't find it.
    HughJarsse and GS-11 like this.
    12-03-17 12:46 AM
    My KEYone is being repaired and I went back to my DTEK60. It's a fine phone. Nice sound. Reasonably fast processor. Battery runs down quickly but charges very quickly. I must say I am so angry at BlackBerry for yet again leaving it's consumers in the lurch that I can not support buying this phone. it's a year old and receives little support. If you want to stay BlackBerry them why not a Motion? But at this point I say why BlackBerry at all... I have had BlackBerrys since the beginning but corporate record is not good. Like my beautiful Passport SE BlackBerry dropped the ball every time. I get it - it is shifting to an other business. We need to recognize it. At the same time, I look for a phone whose DNA is an orientation to productivity in filing and messaging and which also has a good camera and I just can't find it.
    If you find one, let me know!

BB9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60
    GS-11 likes this.
    12-03-17 06:02 AM
  8. dennisetheridge902@gmail.com's Avatar
    Do yourself a favour, Buy the Oneplus 5T. It's the first phone I've ever had that hasn't been BlackBerry. Down load the BlackBerry Hub from Play Store. I promise you ll thank me later. Oneplus 5t is blistering fast, amazing battery life, finger print/ face recognition is fast and always works. The phone never lags or freezes like the Dtek 60 did. I'm still getting used to "not" having to carry a rapid charger everywhere I go. Brother do yourself a favour. Research the 5t before you purchase that 60.
    12-03-17 07:18 AM
    personally, don't like the design (so not BB) - re-brand just not do it for me. If you are currently using PP, K1 might be the better fit... wait and see if boxing day got sale or not (since black K1 and may be K2 come out in spring, K1 might be lower price, especially the silver version- like they on sale with carrier last month). (as for dtek 60 design. it down to ugly... I have to buy a gold sleave for my newphen to dress up it or "put on make-up").
    Corboulee likes this.
    12-03-17 08:48 AM
    Do yourself a favour, Buy the Oneplus 5T. It's the first phone I've ever had that hasn't been BlackBerry. Down load the BlackBerry Hub from Play Store. I promise you ll thank me later. Oneplus 5t is blistering fast, amazing battery life, finger print/ face recognition is fast and always works. The phone never lags or freezes like the Dtek 60 did. I'm still getting used to "not" having to carry a rapid charger everywhere I go. Brother do yourself a favour. Research the 5t before you purchase that 60.
    Does it have an SD card?
    12-03-17 10:39 AM
    Lack of security patches. The biggest reason of all.
    Conite

For the last 7 months you defended BlackBerry's erratic security updates whilst a lot of us with less than one year old DTEK60 were looking for ways to return the abandoned phones .......

Now you have indicated this ..... Have we now received the last security update for DTEK60?
    12-03-17 02:04 PM
    Conite

For the last 7 months you defended BlackBerry's erratic security updates whilst a lot of us with less than one year old DTEK60 were looking for ways to return the abandoned phones .......

Now you have indicated this ..... Have we now received the last security update for DTEK60?
    I still say the DTEKs have been well supported through security patches so far. But being on Marshmallow, it is up against the timeline set by Google as to when they will stop patching AOSP - rumoured to be in the Spring.

The two year minimum guarantee by TCL for the Motion and KEYᵒⁿᵉ is very attractive by comparison.
    12-03-17 02:08 PM
    I just got a refurbished dtek 50 for 149.00 from staples totally awsome phone . The battery life is just fine for me. Iam not a game player etc.
    GS-11 likes this.
    12-03-17 02:11 PM
    The biggest issue for Android in general is via all the Mediaserver stupidity, which is a function of design and short of a complete re-write of a huge part of Android cannot be fixed. Google has known this for several years and has not refactored Android to fix it, which by now means you must assume they never will.

So-called monthly patches are a hack, in that they rely on Google being the first to find these problems (damned unlikely) and that nobody will find and exploit them first (damned arrogant you be if you believe THAT, and on that arrogance you shall fall.)

However, DTEK has some big advantages here, in that IF such a hack is used against you it has an extremely high probability of tripping DTEK's OS compromise indicator. This is no small thing in that it means you can resolve it, albeit at the cost of a hard reset and reload.

That will not go away post "support" ending, which is a very good thing indeed.
    12-03-17 03:07 PM
    Thanks Tickerguy .... is there anything else you'd suggest 'post' support, like any antivirus or malware protection?
    12-03-17 03:19 PM
    I agree with Conite. Security updates will end soon. The 60 will not benefit from the newest OS upgrade updates. My 60 started having hardware issue prior to 1 year purchase date. battery, charging port, heating up near a fingerprint scanner that stopped working. My 60 is at a BlackBerry Mobile repair shop as I type this. warranty expires on 12/30/17. if it breaks down after that I will not spend a dime to fix it. not worth it.

if you are sold on Blackberry mobile branded phones...pick up a Keyone or Motion. I just picked up a brand new LG V20 for a very good price which is superior to my Priv and Dtek 60 in every way. I will wait to see if TCL produce a phone with more current hardware specs...
    12-03-17 04:14 PM
    I know other former BlackBerry owners going with other OEM phones and are happy. It seems that with each BlackBerry Mobile phone release they offer a new feature or hardware upgrade that was not in the previous release or won't be added to older releases. What I mean is the Keyone silver edition came with 3gb of ram and 32gb base storage...a few months later K1 Black edition comes with 4gb ram and 64gb of base storage.

To get folks to upgrade? I know folks who sold the SE Keyone to get BE Keyone. Took a loss on the SE Keyone and paid more for the BE Keyone. Crazy!!!

Motion comes with Locker features to store pictures and other data and a refined convenience key. Blackberry mobile has not given this feature to Keyone's or Dtek phones. So people keep feeding the addiction for the latest and keep buying phones. I know Nike did it with Jordan brand shoes..release a new color 3 months later and kids will drop another $180.00 for a pair.

I am just speculating but I will not fall for the Blackberry new features upgrade model...i will try a new OEM phone.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    12-03-17 04:48 PM
    Thanks Tickerguy .... is there anything else you'd suggest 'post' support, like any antivirus or malware protection?
    No. Those "app" things are all worthless at best and sell your data at worst. Don't.
    12-03-17 07:50 PM
    Motion comes with Locker features to store pictures and other data and a refined convenience key. Blackberry mobile has not given this feature to Keyone's or Dtek phones. So people keep feeding the addiction for the latest and keep buying phones. I know Nike did it with Jordan brand shoes..release a new color 3 months later and kids will drop another $180.00 for a pair.

I am just speculating but I will not fall for the Blackberry new features upgrade model...i will try a new OEM phone.
    Meh.

LG V20s can be had "used but in great shape" around $200 right now, and $350ish new. That was a $700 phone when released! Value destruction? Yes indeed, and LG like everyone else releases a new one the next year....

The DTEK60 actually appears to be holding its value better than most at the moment..... of course that will fade, but then again so does everything else.
    12-03-17 07:53 PM
    Meh.

LG V20s can be had "used but in great shape" around $200 right now, and $350ish new. That was a $700 phone when released! Value destruction? Yes indeed, and LG like everyone else releases a new one the next year....

The DTEK60 actually appears to be holding its value better than most at the moment..... of course that will fade, but then again so does everything else.
    Yes, the Android phones depreciate pretty fast except the Pixel phones. I brought my wife's GS7 around the time I picked up my Dtek 60. Samsung had a flash sale and I paid $549.usd unlocked directly from Samsung. I paid $499. for the 60. Well, she had Marshmallow and then Android Nougut and she will get Android Oreo.

No hardware problems with her phone at all. My 60 has had a plethora of problems and is still on Marshmallow.

I feel good about paying less than $300 for a new V20 that will get Android Oreo and is superior to the 60 from a feature hardware standpoint.
    12-03-17 09:02 PM
    If BlackBerry had a custom interface that mimicked the BB10 gestures on Android plus the security package, you could argue in defense of the workflow and stick around. But with BlackBerry using basically a bare Android OS, the differences are minor.

If you can equate BB phones to non-BB phones, BB has lost. BB should fork Android, customize it, and then it won't be an apples-to-apples comparison.

At the end of the day, BB has shown its base the door to other Android phones. And because a door is a door, non-BB users are opened up to the world of BlackBerry. However once non-BB users see mid-range phones at premium prices and also no OS upgrade paths, those individuals may consider staying where they are at or use a competing product than getting a BB.

The DTEK60 is the Alcatel Idol 4s with hardware differences. I've read opinions on the Idol 4s, which appear to be positive. They liked the hardware. It's that TCL let them down with the software for the Idol 4s. Summary for DTEK60 = good hardware, poor software support.
    12-03-17 10:38 PM
    If BlackBerry had a custom interface that mimicked the BB10 gestures on Android plus the security package, you could argue in defense of the workflow and stick around. But with BlackBerry using basically a bare Android OS, the differences are minor.

If you can equate BB phones to non-BB phones, BB has lost. BB should fork Android, customize it, and then it won't be an apples-to-apples comparison.

At the end of the day, BB has shown its base the door to other Android phones. And because a door is a door, non-BB users are opened up to the world of BlackBerry. However once non-BB users see mid-range phones at premium prices and also no OS upgrade paths, those individuals may consider staying where they are at or use a competing product than getting a BB.
    That's TCL's issue - not BlackBerry's.

BlackBerry is out of the handset business, and is just collecting some BlackBerry-Android licencing revenue on the side.

BlackBerry isn't going to try and reinvent the wheel on handsets at this point. They have better things to do.
    12-03-17 10:41 PM
    Software too? the whole thing? They pulled an IBM? IBM selling the ThinkPad brand and leaving laptops/PC?
    12-03-17 10:45 PM
    Software too? the whole thing? They pulled an IBM? IBM selling the ThinkPad brand and leaving laptops/PC?
    BlackBerry closed its device business over a year ago.

They continue to provide their secure-Android and their app suite for a fee to BlackBerry's three brand licencees.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-03-17 10:47 PM
    However, DTEK has some big advantages here, in that IF such a hack is used against you it has an extremely high probability of tripping DTEK's OS compromise indicator. This is no small thing in that it means you can resolve it, albeit at the cost of a hard reset and reload.
    Those are some strong assertions without any sourcing.

I view the DTEK app (on the DTEKx0 phones as well as all other BBMo phones with the app) as a marketing gimmick to try to differentiate themselves from the Android crowd. The details regarding hardware root of trust, the DTEK app, and other supposed kernel improvements were never really discussed. We were never provided a technical breakdown of how it worked differently than any other Android phone.

tickerguy, unless you show us otherwise, their special super-duper hardware root of trust is nothing more than the security technology Qualcomm calls SecureMSM, included in every SnapDragon SoC, which is fundamentally based on ARM TrustZone.

The kernel improvements? Supposedly, they improved on Marshmallow's weak ASLR, but BB never released kernel sources, so how could any of us verify that this is true? How could we measure how effective these changes were? Google significantly improved their implementation of ASLR in Nougat. Honestly, I just don't believe any of it.

As to the DTEK app, my phone complained that the OS has been compromised since the October 2016 patch, so I always ignored it. This is a common experience on this forum.

tickerguy, if you can back up your assertions re. DTEK's security prowess, I will eat a slice of humble pie.

Until then, here is some background reading on the subject of Trust on Android. It's from 2014 but it still applies.

https://iamcybersafe.org/wp-content/...stSullivan.pdf
    12-03-17 11:56 PM
52 123