Hey everyone, I'm looking for folks who've had the "screen pops out" issue with their Blackberry Keyone units. The short version of why is that I'm a tech writer, I've just had this happen to me, I'm about to attempt the support process on this, and I'd like to compare notes with others.

I was about two thirds of the way through a piece on the evolution of mobile productivity and how simple design elements - both hardware and software - can make a large difference in the utility of a handset when my screen popped out. (In my case, my wife rested an iced cap on the screen for about a minute, when I picked it up to drink it, the screen popped out.)

Now that I have had the screen issue I get the opportunity to follow the support process through and add that experience to my article. I think the discussion of timeframes individuals are expected by providers and manufacturers to be without phones, what they have to pay for various issues and much more is worth discussion. This is especially true as our cell phones are our only phones for many of us, meaning that loss of use of those phones can also mean loss of access to emergency services such as 911.

All of the above being said, I am aware that an individual experience is never representative. Thus, if I going to pursue this, I'd like to take the opportunity to talk to as many individuals who have experienced the issue (or, frankly, any other support issues with their Keyones) as possible. The greater the number of support stories I can review, the more accurate I can be.

Thank you to everyone for any feedback you provide, rest assured that if you wish it, I will keep your feedback anonymous.

Have a great day, everyone!
    FF22 likes this.
    07-14-17 12:10 AM
    My screen came off thirty days after purchase. It was purchased from Best Buy online first day available. At first the associate did not want to give me a refund after he spoke with a manager that was aware of the issue I was given a full refund. I really LOVE the BLACKBERRY and I am LOYAL, however I am a little reluctant to re-purchase again. I'm using my previous DTEK60.
    07-23-17 06:14 PM
    Hey Trevor, for fun I Googled your name and your LinkedIn profile says you work in tech in Edmonton. Would you be able to indicate from what carrier and when you got your KEYone from? I'm in Edmonton too but am unsure as to wait or not to get this device, just to let all the launch batch of devices get weeded out. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-17 06:54 PM
    (In my case, my wife rested an iced cap on the screen for about a minute, when I picked it up to drink it, the screen popped out.)
    Use a coaster next time. Coaster app available in the Play Store. ;-)
    FF22 and Nathan Conley like this.
    07-23-17 07:38 PM
    I'm from this side of the border - what's an "ice cap"? Cappuccino? I have placed damp glasses on a solid coaster and when picking up the glass, the suction/seal has picked up the coaster, too. Only to have it fall free a few seconds later. Is that what happened?

In a few threads, there have been discussions of using a suction cup to pull on the screen and see if any lifting is apparent. I've tried that using my gps suction mount and not seen any lift. But that does not mean it won't happen.

But the question in your case is whether it was a suction pull or the very cold temperatures or both that caused the release?
    07-23-17 08:36 PM
    Highly unlikely that there was suction involved, given the design of the cup: Iced Capp | Tim Hortons
    07-23-17 08:44 PM
    Hi conbrio29; this is a Telus Keyone, and it is maybe a couple of weeks old. I'm thinking Telus isn't handing out the latest models that actually have adhesive.
    07-23-17 08:45 PM
    Hi conbrio29; this is a Telus Keyone, and it is maybe a couple of weeks old. I'm thinking Telus isn't handing out the latest models that actually have adhesive.
    Ok thanks. I'm with Bell and am thinking of trying the KEYone but perhaps waiting a month or so before going for it.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-17 09:08 PM
    I ordered my phone on the first day it was available through BestBuy. It was delivered on 6/16/17, and yesterday (7/22/17) the screen popped off. I had a rubber case on it and it didn't help keep the screen in at all, but it fell right in to my palm so the ribbon cable didn't break.

I've already ordered a Motorola E4 to use while I wait to get my Blackberry replaced. I absolutely love my Blackberry, it's exactly what I wanted: a phone with a physical keyboard and apps that actually work. When the screen issue first emerged I very nearly cancelled my order though, and now I find myself almost wishing I did. To spend $600 after tax on this phone and have the screen fall off after a month is extremely disappointing, and I'm certainly not happy about having to spend another $150 on top of that for a backup phone. On top of that, the call quality is a significant step down from the Classic my KEYone replaced. I love my Blackberry despite its flaws and I hope it'll be replaced quickly, but I wouldn't buy it again, too much money for too low a build quality.
    07-23-17 09:34 PM
    Hello,

It just happen to me this weekend and I went to Best Buy and get the information to get the blackberry replaced....

How did you do did the process? At this point I have to contact someone but I am not sure if Best buy online or blackberry....

I will appreciate your help with information so I can get my phone relaced as fast as is possible. Thanks...
    07-23-17 10:14 PM
    I have a keyone that I got through Wireless Wave (Rogers) a week after they were available. My screen started to lift about 5 weeks after I got it (Just after my 1month warranty with Rogers ended). I taped it, so as to not allow it to lift further. I wanted to use the camera for a concert, so I didn't call Blackberry right away. I called this week, and after being in hold for 50 minutes, they helped me. They will send me a new phone and then I can send the old one back with their packaging. Despite the long wait on hold, I've been pleased with Blackberry - so far
    FF22 likes this.
    07-27-17 07:25 PM
    Do disrespect but why in the world would someone place a drink on a phone? Certainly sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-17 07:51 PM
    Just to follow up, here's a pic since I forgot to include it before: http://i.imgur.com/taKZcZq.jpg

Also, I contacted Blackberry last Monday and they gave me no hassle about returning my phone. I didn't have to take 100 pics or sit under a bright light, I told them the screen just fell right into my palm and that was that. I was told that I would be contacted the next day (Tuesday) to get my CC info so they can ship the replacement, but I didn't get that call until this morning (Friday). No big deal, if you're a KEYone owner you should be used to delays by now :P

I maintain that this shouldn't have happened in the first place and shame on their QC people for letting this happen, but the people in the support department are great. They're taking care of their customers, and to me that's what matters most. A+ customer service.

Hopefully the replacement device has glue on it this time, because this Moto E4 driving me up the walls and I really don't want to go back to it. Though I will say that the E4's call quality is MUCH better than the KEYone's, but the Classic still curb stomps both of them in that department.
    07-28-17 03:43 PM
    Following up again, my replacement KEYone was delivered today (8/1/17) and so far so good. It came in a white box with bubble wrap and a free case (unexpected, but thank you BB!), along with a return label for the old unit. I'll be shipping that out tomorrow.

I didn't know it before, but apparently the keyboard on my original KEYone wasn't working right. I had to disable all the touch features because the flick motion barely worked and scrolling was jerky and irregular. I thought I just wasn't using it right and learning it was more hassle than it was worth. On my new KEYone though, scrolling with the keyboard is nice and smooth, and flicking word suggestions in works much much better than before. I'm very happy about this, it's like I got a free upgrade

End of the day, Blackberry replaced my phone and made things right. Thumbs up to their customer service department. I am happy to have the KEYone back in my hands. Hopefully the future "KEYtwo" phone will keep this same design (no sliding keyboards allowed, sorry Priv guys), tack on an extra 2GB of RAM, and bring the call quality back up to the BB Classic's level. And an extra dab of glue might not hurt either :P
    08-01-17 08:20 PM