Good Afternoon,

BB Tech support has informed me that BB10 devices communicate with the BB NOC via carrier infrastructure when a SIM card is installed. If no sim is installed, and the phone is on WIFI, then BB10 will communicate directly with the NOC.

However, on BB Android, the behavior is different. BB Android always communicates directly with the NOC, bypassing the carrier infrastructure.

Why does this matter? Well until recently, it didn't. But I've discovered while traveling with both a Passport and a Priv that certain countries are blocking applications, and while a VPN was able to circumvent the block on the Priv, it was unsuccessful on the BB10 Passport.

As Tech support explained to me, even while on a VPN, BB10 still requires a carrier to communicate with the NOC if a SIM card is present. So if the carrier is forced to block an application, then they can enforce this very easily on BB10, blocking the application from even establishing a connection (VPN or not). And in BB World, the application is no longer available and shows "not available for this device"

Now, as soon as the SIM is removed and the device is on WIFI with VPN, the application can start and connect without issues. Therefore it is technically possible for BB10 to bypass the Carriers and connect directly to the NOC just like the Priv.

In my opinion, this is a massive flaw in the BB10 architecture, and should be corrected if 10.3.4 is ever released.

No carrier should have the ability to block applications from running on an UNLOCKED device.

For the record, the application I'm talking about is BBM Consumer and Enterprise and the country is Russia but this can happen on any carrier and any country.
    06-29-17 10:18 AM
    In my opinion, this is a massive flaw in the BB10 architecture, and should be corrected if 10.3.4 is ever released.
    If.
    06-29-17 10:22 AM
    The BB10 guy is off for the summer. He's supposed to return around Labor Day.
    06-29-17 10:23 AM
    If.
    ..........is a mighty big word.
    06-29-17 10:25 AM
    If.
    ...is also a Bread classic.
    06-29-17 10:49 AM
    Interesting discovery. Should really be corrected.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-17 11:17 PM
    There are many things that need to change with BB10. The problem is that there isn't anyone left to do it. I'm a BB10 aficionado that will stick with the platform until I can find an android I like, but I know that nothing is ever going to change with the current BB10 design.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-17 11:19 PM
    There are many things that need to change with BB10. The problem is that there isn't anyone left to do it. I'm a BB10 aficionado that will stick with the platform until I can find an android I like, but I know that nothing is ever going to change with the current BB10 design.

Posted via CB10
    I think I'll wait out the next generation of operating systems. Android and iOS won't last forever. They can't be iterated upon forever. They're simply too terrible. Too non-intuitive. Android is simply too miserable an experience.

That said, we're using Windows 10 now. Ugh.

Posted via CB10
    dpgo likes this.
    06-30-17 10:18 AM
    I think I'll wait out the next generation of operating systems. Android and iOS won't last forever. They can't be iterated upon forever. They're simply too terrible. Too non-intuitive. Android is simply too miserable an experience.

Posted via CB10
    If you're willing to wait a 5+ years then maybe yes. The next entrant has to overcome the ecosystem not the OS. Meanwhile iteration; its worked very well for desktop OS now going on decades.
    06-30-17 11:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    OT, but Win 8 turned out great for PCs and tablets. Would make a great operating system even for smartphones.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-17 12:06 PM
    OT, but Win 8 turned out great for PCs and tablets. Would make a great operating system even for smartphones.

Posted via CB10
    I'm pretty sure that's been tried and failed miserably...
    06-30-17 12:27 PM
    How does the OTA update work btw. I have Passport SE fully unlocked and unbranded but purchased not from BlackBerry shop or amazon but a third party seller. I didn't get 10.3.3. - tried with carrier sim or without sim. Now BlackBerry says that all eligible devices got 10.3.3 and in my case it all depends on carrier (Play in Poland).

Posted via CB10
    06-30-17 12:31 PM
    How does the OTA update work btw. I have Passport SE fully unlocked and unbranded but purchased not from BlackBerry shop or amazon but a third party seller. I didn't get 10.3.3. - tried with carrier sim or without sim. Now BlackBerry says that all eligible devices got 10.3.3 and in my case it all depends on carrier (Play in Poland).

Posted via CB10
    Should be able to download via WiFi. Try pulling out SIM when you attempt...
    06-30-17 12:32 PM
    With sim removed the same situation. I believe there are other users of unlocked BlackBerry devices bought from online shops and 3rd party sellers who never received 10.3.3. I remember that BlackBerry support on Twitter was able to tell by my PIN where exactly my handset was bought. So there is a database and they decide Which PINs can access OTA on update Server. So my passport was not prezent on that whitelist

Posted via CB10
    07-01-17 02:52 AM
    With sim removed the same situation. I believe there are other users of unlocked BlackBerry devices bought from online shops and 3rd party sellers who never received 10.3.3. I remember that BlackBerry support on Twitter was able to tell by my PIN where exactly my handset was bought. So there is a database and they decide Which PINs can access OTA on update Server. So my passport was not prezent on that whitelist

Posted via CB10
    Have you directly contacted BB for support? Also, use autoloader...
    07-01-17 07:07 AM
    Yes, they highlighted that BlackBerry shop devices and amazon have priority and told me to wait.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-17 11:34 AM