I've noticed for about 2 weeks now (since the last major update) that my GPS is having a really hard time finding and keeping satellites. It has been rock solid until now, but now is almost unusable in the car and particularly annoying, horribly inaccurate when running and cycling.

Anyone else had this problem recently? Any ideas (other than wipe and re-install) to quickly reset the GPS?

thanks!!
    John
    marco44 likes this.
    05-29-17 03:50 PM
    I have found this as well - it drops the signal and then doesn't recover it until I reboot the phone. Which is really inconvenient while I'm driving.

In the first 6 months of my Priv usage, a dropped gps signal happened once, and it quickly recovered. In the last week it happened twice, necessitating reboots both times. I thought it was just age, but the May update may be responsible?
    05-29-17 05:42 PM
    I've rebooted several times since it first happened with no luck. Cleared all of the app caches with no change as well. Worked flawlessly before the update.
    05-29-17 05:56 PM
    I've noticed for about 2 weeks now (since the last major update) that my GPS is having a really hard time finding and keeping satellites. It has been rock solid until now, but now is almost unusable in the car and particularly annoying, horribly inaccurate when running and cycling.

Anyone else had this problem recently? Any ideas (other than wipe and re-install) to quickly reset the GPS?

thanks!!
    John
    Yes. It's been terrible. I was in D.C. this weekend and it was all messed up. Had no clue where I was. Kept telling me I was home when I was 250 miles away.
    05-29-17 06:42 PM
    I have to say that I use the gps mostly for hiking/biking to track and map my outing. And it has been really good at that. But that probably does not place as many demands on the gps since the speed and locational change is not as fast as in a car.

But just this week I did use it as a passenger in a car with Google Maps and it was fine. But it was not a very long trip.

But where were you driving. Large cities with tall buildings can definitely create dead zones or problems.
    05-29-17 07:13 PM
    I have to say that I use the gps mostly for hiking/biking to track and map my outing. And it has been really good at that. But that probably does not place as many demands on the gps since the speed and locational change is not as fast as in a car.

But just this week I did use it as a passenger in a car with Google Maps and it was fine. But it was not a very long trip.

But where were you driving. Large cities with tall buildings can definitely create dead zones or problems.
    My GPS is working perfectly. Shows exactly where I am. On an AFB right down the street from those B52s
    FF22 likes this.
    05-29-17 07:42 PM
    My GPS is working perfectly. Shows exactly where I am. On an AFB right down the street from those B52s https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...cf6cccb5f9.jpg
    Why don't you send that image to Russia. I'm sure the administration will not mind!
    05-29-17 07:51 PM
    I use gps status and toolbox in combination w google maps. Also, I make sure I have no other apps running in recents when I am using maps; or else it takes forever to get a signal lock sometimes.
    05-29-17 08:17 PM
    Why don't you send that image to Russia. I'm sure the administration will not mind!
    I'm absolutely positive that Russia is well aware of this. Perhaps it's North Korea that needs the reminder.
    FF22 and Wezard like this.
    05-29-17 08:32 PM
    Besides, anyone with Google Maps can see the same thing.
    FF22 and Wezard like this.
    05-29-17 08:33 PM
    I'm absolutely positive that Russia is well aware of this. Perhaps it's North Korea that needs the reminder.
    Oh, good point. Same with the Google Maps view!
    05-29-17 09:13 PM
    I got stuck in a traffic jam yesterday, very slow or no movement, opened google maps, no problem at first, but with movement being measured in yards per 10 min, it lost gps lock several times. No buildings, some clouds, in the middle of a 10 lane interstate. Was taking several minutes to reacquire.
    Then it overheated and gave me the warning. I've not had it overheat since Marshmallow came out.
    I'm not going to blame it on the security update, though it could be. A lot of app updates come out about the same time as a security update, and I'm thinking it more likely to be that. I'm pretty sure there were a couple of updates with Google in the name, but don't really keep up. Anybody notice if maps or google services got updated?
    05-30-17 08:43 AM
    There was a map update recently. Well, I do it manually and I just noticed it within the last 3 or 4 days??
    05-30-17 09:40 AM
    I'll test mine using android auto today and try to report back. I rarely use it because I have factory nav, but will be a good chance to test it out.
    05-30-17 09:42 AM
    Thanks everyone for your ideas - I have tried quite a few things. This problem is occurring in wide open areas. I can get a GPS lock, but it is much slower than previously and has trouble keeping the lock while I'm moving. When driving, I have to hold the phone up to the window to keep a lock (in a wide open area).
    Something has changed with the new update. Or perhaps I have a conflicting app - but I don't think so.
    Since I use GPS more than the actual phone (for navigation, tracking fitness, etc), this is a real pain.
    05-30-17 10:46 AM
    My GPS keeps a signal fine but since the April update Google maps is extremely slow to where I can't use it for much.
    05-30-17 11:19 AM
    I tested mine out and it worked fine going into the office. No lag or anything. This was google maps using android auto.
    05-30-17 11:33 AM
    You're in North America on the newest update? I'm on build AAL202
    05-30-17 11:50 AM
    I did have a slight issue with GPS the other day...
    I was hiking with my Gear S3 set to track it and after pausing it for a quick bite along the way it was no longer able to get a lock. Satellites in view and in use according to a GPS Test app I have installed, but no lock. I just disabled bluetooth on the phone so the Gear continues tracking the hike with its built-in receiver so no harm done, but if similar things are actually happening to other people as well, it might be more than just a random glitch I figured it to be.
    Didn't have any other problems and I used GPS quite a lot lately around the city, both on foot and in-car, but I believe the above was worth mentioning.
    Perhaps clearing A-GPS data would help, but for the life of me I can't remember where is that done, or if it's even possible nowadays.
    05-30-17 01:10 PM
    Thanks for your reply - GPS Test allows you to clear the A-GPS data, but it didn't seem to improve things.
    05-30-17 01:14 PM
    Thanks for your reply - GPS Test allows you to clear the A-GPS data, but it didn't seem to improve things.
    Indeed it does... How about Clear and update?

Btw, I haven't restarted my phone since that glitch the other day and when I opened GPS Test now it got a fix literally within a second. I have no idea what's going on.

Which mode do you have it on under Settings > Location? Try changing that from High accuracy to Device only or vice versa.
    05-30-17 01:30 PM
    I just opened GPS Status and it immediately found me upstairs inside my house with a plywood and shingle roof .

My Gear S3 had no trouble tracking me the last three days and sharing its mapping info with my Priv.
    05-30-17 02:17 PM
    Well, not sure what else I can try. Just came back from a 25km bike ride and the accuracy was unbelievably bad. Been using this setup for 2 years without issue and now its complete crap.
    Guess I'll wipe and reload the OS and see if it fixes itself and add back apps one by one.
    Feel free to chip in with any last minute suggestions!
    If this doesn't work I'll have to pick up an iPhone.

just kidding. but this reminds me of of the day I chucked my Blackberry Bold in the trash because it took 20 minutes to load a website.
    05-30-17 06:39 PM
    I just opened GPS Status and it immediately found me
    Are you auto updating apps?
    05-30-17 07:03 PM
    Well, not sure what else I can try. Just came back from a 25km bike ride and the accuracy was unbelievably bad. Been using this setup for 2 years without issue and now its complete crap.
    Guess I'll wipe and reload the OS and see if it fixes itself and add back apps one by one.
    Feel free to chip in with any last minute suggestions!
    If this doesn't work I'll have to pick up an iPhone.

just kidding. but this reminds me of of the day I chucked my Blackberry Bold in the trash because it took 20 minutes to load a website.
    What are you using to track your ride? I used Nogago on a 15 miler the other day without issue. Also used it to track a hike last week that was 7 miles on a rather steep hillside and it was flawless.

Here are the files as viewed in Garmin app (file exported from Nogago as gpx).

GPS horrible since last update!! Anyone else?-shoreline.jpgGPS horrible since last update!! Anyone else?-lake-serene.jpg
    05-30-17 07:11 PM
73 123