I've been in love with BlackBerry Messenger for years. The past month (April 2017) has not been kind. BBM has become...flaky. Unreliable.

So I tried something else: Telegram (and it's cool sibling, Plus Messenger).

But I missed those beloved BBM emoticons. And I loathed whatever emojis come with stock Telegram/Plus.

So, again, I dug in and solved my own problems. Here you will find links to modified versions of Telegram and Plus Messenger. The main emoji page has been modified to incorporate BBM emoticons, and they should map fairly closely to the emotions you want to express (because I can't push an emoji set out to all devices, so folks using stock will get the gist of what you're saying through their ugly stock emojis).

PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE FOLLOWING:

If you are currently running "stock" Telegram or Plus Messenger, YOU HAVE TO UNINSTALL THE APP BEFORE INSTALLING THIS ONE.

Yes, you will lose all your contact- and group-specific settings. YOU WILL LOSE ALL OF YOUR SETTINGS. YOU WILL HAVE TO SET EVERYTHING UP AGAIN.

But let's be realistic, that's a snap.

Future updates should not have the same issues, so long as you're actually performing an upgrade to the app.

Once you've uninstalled the stock app with its ugly emojis, you can install the shiny new version I've linked here, and enjoy better emoticons.

20190209 UPDATE:

OK, this project has been humming along in the background for a long time now. And suddenly a flurry of new people got interested in it. (Sadly, BBM is faltering and is far from the security stalwart it once was *cough*outsourcing*cough*).

Anyway, I have done a pretty thorough remapping of the BBM emoticons into Telegram and Plus. I can do the same for pretty much any other Telegram client, but I'd rather focus on those two for now.

I have done away with the previous TeleBB10 version, which was built specifically for lower Android runtimes so it would work on BB10 devices. Instead, I'm using universal variants of both apks, so TeleBBM will run just fine on BB10 devices now. If you don't know what I'm talking about, that's OK. It just means you're late to the party.

I have also started tracking the same version numbers used by the stock client apps. It didn't make sense to maintain my own version numbering. For a while I thought about developing my own client app, which is why I started in that direction. But that quickly became unwieldy, so I just use the same version numbers now.

If you're already using Telegram, there are links below to my TeleBBM channel (where the app is distributed) and to my TeleBBM Chat (guess what that's for).

If you're not on Telegram yet, I have links to the apks on G Drive as well.

-wu

TeleBBM 5.3.1

PlusBBM 5.2.1.3

TeleBBM Telegram Channel

TeleBBM Telegram Chat

TeleBBM and PlusBBM 1.0.-screenshot_20170428-125016.jpg
    TeleBBM and PlusBBM 1.0.-photo_2019-02-08_12-46-33.jpg
    TeleBBM and PlusBBM 1.0.-photo_2019-02-08_12-46-35.jpg
    TeleBBM and PlusBBM 1.0.-photo_2019-02-08_12-46-36.jpg
    TeleBBM and PlusBBM 1.0.-photo_2019-02-08_12-46-37.jpg
    Last edited by wu-wei; 02-09-19 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Reminding folks of Telegram's awesomeness. And I've been doing a lot of work on remapping emoticons.
    04-28-17 01:53 PM
    Ya baby great job as usual bro

Oh ya I forgot to say "First"
    3hb78ftg and wu-wei like this.
    04-28-17 01:56 PM
    Quicksilver isn't going to like that. LOL
    wu-wei likes this.
    04-28-17 01:58 PM
    Awesome.......Its a revolution!!!!
    Great job, wu-wei
    Mecca EL and wu-wei like this.
    04-28-17 02:15 PM
    Another great thing is, is that it works great on BB10.
    Mecca EL and wu-wei like this.
    04-28-17 02:35 PM
    Thanks Wu Wei!

Almost all of my BBM groups have converted to Telegram and this version is icing on the cake.

If anyone wants to join a BlackBerry fan group, PM me. We have over 50 members there now and growing. Lots of familiar CB faces there.
    miker476 and wu-wei like this.
    04-28-17 02:36 PM
    Thanks Wu Wei!

Almost all of my BBM groups have converted to Telegram and this version is icing on the cake.

If anyone wants to join a BlackBerry fan group, PM me. We have over 50 members there now and growing. Lots of familiar CB faces there.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/rehab-o...-join-1106748/ or someone can just hit up that thread!
    mrfreeze likes this.
    04-28-17 02:37 PM
    Thanks @wu-wei been using it since you released it to us last week and there is no turning back now !! Simply awesome!
    wu-wei likes this.
    04-28-17 04:19 PM
    This is awesome. I was quickly growing tired of BBM being fickle and getting add-ons and updates that, in my opinion, were not useful nor did anything to improve user experience. Instead it had gotten worse, as of late. Telegram fixed that and is everything BBM could have been, on either BB10 or Android.

Thanks to you Wu-wei, it's even more awesome-sauce. I appreciate your effort. A subtitle to the name TeleBBM could be , How Wu-wei Got His Groove Back. Ha!
    wu-wei and anon(3641385) like this.
    04-28-17 05:32 PM
    Oh dear me. Heavens to Betsy! Had the end of times come!!!? What a wonderfully constructed horror story!! Oooohhhhhhh the carnage!!!
    I can vouch for my BBM going to hell about the same time his did.
    wu-wei likes this.
    04-28-17 05:53 PM
    [WARN]Keep on topic, those who don't like, don't even come in here. Capisce?[/WARN]
    SteelGreek and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    04-28-17 06:02 PM
    I can vouch for my BBM going to hell about the same time his did.
    I guess we'll believe you, being a trusted member and all.
    04-28-17 06:04 PM
    I guess we'll believe you, being a trusted member and all.
    I'm not a trusted member, I just play one on TV.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    04-28-17 06:20 PM
    Thanks for putting the work into this one. It's been a while wu-wei but you still have the skills us long time CB members are accustomed to.

I was reluctant to try out Telegram being a BBM or nothing kind of guy. Once I gave it a go I found it so much more useful and appealing than BBM. Most everyone I know has switched to it as well so the transition has been easy. The Web Access for Telegram is what Blend should have been. It's nice to have a communication app that just works, and works perfectly across all devices.

Thank you again for this contribution, I look forward to seeing you here more.
    wu-wei and BigBadWulf like this.
    04-28-17 07:09 PM
    Thanks Wu Wei!

We're up to 60 great and active members! If anyone else is interested PM me.
    Last edited by mrfreeze; 04-30-17 at 11:19 AM.
    wu-wei likes this.
    04-30-17 10:37 AM
    Great work wu-wei!
    wu-wei likes this.
    04-30-17 10:53 AM
    TeleBBM is a nice name! testing now...
    05-03-17 10:17 AM
    We're up to 60 great and active members! If anyone else is interested PM me.
    73!
    mrfreeze likes this.
    05-03-17 10:35 AM
    How is this different from official Plus messenger?

Posted via CB10
    05-03-17 05:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    Only difference is the emojies are replaced with BBM emoticons.
    05-03-17 05:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    Plus Messenger is a client of Telegram. It is exactly Telegram with a few added features and wu-wei has been able to recreate both apps to display BBM emoticons that BBM users are used.

So the difference is the emoticons.

Attachment 422455
    05-03-17 05:26 PM
    Sweet! And I once saw a trusted Member on TV
    05-04-17 01:18 PM
    Will there be an update soon? With the 4.0 sources?
    05-19-17 08:53 AM
    Will there be an update soon? With the 4.0 sources?
    An update is posted already in the TeleBBM Channel.
    05-19-17 04:27 PM
    An update is posted already in the TeleBBM Channel.
    What channel? Telegram channel on top does not work, get the message group does not excist.

Posted via my Passport 10.3.3.2205
    05-19-17 04:40 PM
76 123 ...