Hi,

looking for a new phone to replace my current iphone 5. Just can't decide between these two...

It needs to handle decent amount of emails(not massively), certain web browsing, messaging and music, don't really play games

any advises? or suggestion other than these two is welcome.
    01-03-16 12:13 PM
    had you played with both at your local store? Give them a good demo on each on separate days though, otherwise you get confused lol.
    01-03-16 12:15 PM
    priv, yes. keyboard isnt as good as passport but acceptable.

note 5 isnt available in UK so dont really get a chance to play with it. By looking at reviews, it seems pretty smooth and functional?

If anyone have them, can you share a bit about battery life and the smoothness of usage for daily life?
    01-03-16 12:32 PM
    the note is good I have both the 4 and 5. What a difference, in regards to smoothness and what not. Samsung has been working closely with Google to reduce the fat on touchwiz.
    01-03-16 12:34 PM
    I would love to have other rom (like cyanogen) on note 5 but s-pen function wont be complete....
    01-03-16 12:49 PM
    If you wish a physical keyboard go for the Priv! The hub is also another plus.
    01-03-16 10:03 PM
    Would you rather have Fischer Price? Buy a PRIV silly

Posted via CB10
    naveedk likes this.
    01-03-16 10:05 PM
    I think you'll miss the pkb

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-03-16 10:23 PM
    I've got both. I'd say I prefer the BlackBerry software experience (no TouchWiz) but the note5 hardware is nicer.
    01-03-16 10:29 PM
    Asking that question is a BlackBerry Forum will always be biased. But still worth asking.

I have the Priv and my wife has the Note 5. Both great devices!

If you don't NEED the PKB, then I would seriously consider the Note 5. It's snappy, awesome display, the S-Pen is useful/fun/comfortable.

Honestly, I like my Priv, and if I didn't need a PKB, I would go back to the Note series. I had a stint with the Note 3 when it launched. Best touchscreen device I used.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android with the Privilege of Privacy.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    01-03-16 10:51 PM
    If you post your question here, buy a Priv
    01-04-16 04:04 AM
    I have both, and I have an unbiased opinion for you.

Unless you really need the physical keyboard or hate Samsung's TouchWiz software, get the Galaxy Note 5. It has the best smartphone display on the market, one of the best cameras (much better than the Priv's), better speakers, wireless charging (in all models, not just a few), and in my opinion, a much better design. It can also be cheaper now in many markets.

The Priv is a terrific device, but its camera can be a let down, its speaker is disappointing, its software still needs work, and it still gets too warm at times. It does have expandable storage, which is a big plus for some, but if you can live without that and you don't need the keyboard, there are better smartphones out there.

I'm not a BlackBerry hater, so there's no need to jump on me. I bought the Priv on release day and I'm still clinging onto a Passport I use often. But again, I have used both of these devices extensively, and this is how I feel.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-16 05:47 AM
    The only big plus the Priv has over the Note 5 is that it gets updates frequently. Samsung tends to never update their handsets. Other than that: if you need the PKB, it's an easy choice. If you don't, go with the Note 5. Or the Nexus 6P, if you can live with its extremely high SAR value
    01-04-16 05:59 AM
    The only big plus the Priv has over the Note 5 is that it gets updates frequently. Samsung tends to never update their handsets. Other than that: if you need the PKB, it's an easy choice. If you don't, go with the Note 5. Or the Nexus 6P, if you can live with its extremely high SAR value
    That's actually not true, and never has been. Samsung certainly makes users wait for updates, but they arrive eventually. It brings the latest Android releases to most of its devices for at least a couple of years, and now rolls out monthly security updates for its flagships. I've been using Samsung devices for at least four years now.

We can't say BlackBerry will do better than that, because Priv hasn't been out long enough. But BlackBerry has also promised monthly security updates, too, and with just one Android device to support right now, other fixes and upgrades should also be more frequent.

Posted via CB10
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    01-04-16 06:36 AM
    I have both devices I have a import version of the note 5 for use here in the UK.

I prefer the Note 5, over the PRIV. I find note 5 overall smoother, camera is brilliant and the pen is very useful. PRIV has a sd card slot N5 doesn't.

I thought I could do without the finger scanner but I missed it.

01-04-16 07:45 AM
    priv, yes. keyboard isnt as good as passport but acceptable.

note 5 isnt available in UK so dont really get a chance to play with it. By looking at reviews, it seems pretty smooth and functional?

If anyone have them, can you share a bit about battery life and the smoothness of usage for daily life?
    Note 5 without SD card slot and has less battery! Priv is different and stylish. Priv has simply advantage over Note 5.

I was Having same dilemmas and tested my brother's Note but chosen Priv over Note

Posted via Priv...
    01-04-16 07:46 AM
    Note 5 without SD card slot and has less battery! Priv is different and stylish. Priv has simply advantage over Note 5.
    Posted via Priv...
    This has not been my personal experience with both devices. Sure, by specs, the Priv has a 3410 mA battery while the Note 5 has only a 3000 mA battery, but in use, the Note 5 lasted through the day about the same as the Priv. In fact, I was probably slightly more often in the "red" at the end of the day on my Priv than the Note 5. Of course, YMMV.
    01-04-16 08:35 AM
    I actually get better battery life from the Note 5. It has definitely gotten better on the Priv since the last big update, but I still find myself struggling to reach the end of the day, whereas I don't need to worry about that with the Note 5.

Both phones have their advantages, but the Note 5's outweigh the Priv's for the average consumer. Not everyone wants a keyboard anymore, and believe it or not, a lot of people don't care about expandable storage, either.

Posted via CB10
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    01-04-16 08:36 AM
    Note 5 user here, and a previous Passport SE user. The Note 5 is a brilliant phone: amazing screen, incredibly fast, great camera (one of if not the best on a smartphone), and great integration with Google. TouchWiz has been refined and looks and works much better this time around. I wholeheartedly recommend this phone to anyone; you can't go wrong with it.

The Priv looks interesting as well with its BlackBerry features and pkb. Unless you need/want that pkb, I'd go with the Note as it is much more refined at this point and the BlackBerry Android software needs to be further developed until it is smooth like the note.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-16 08:56 AM
    That's actually not true, and never has been. Samsung certainly makes users wait for updates, but they arrive eventually. It brings the latest Android releases to most of its devices for at least a couple of years, and now rolls out monthly security updates for its flagships. I've been using Samsung devices for at least four years now.

We can't say BlackBerry will do better than that, because Priv hasn't been out long enough. But BlackBerry has also promised monthly security updates, too, and with just one Android device to support right now, other fixes and upgrades should also be more frequent.

Posted via CB10
    Depends on where you live and on your carrier. Unbranded devices in Europe are often never updated at all. I never received 5.1.1 for my (former) S5, for example. And I never got any updates for my (former) S6 EDGE+, either.
    01-04-16 09:30 AM
    Depends on where you live and on your carrier. Unbranded devices in Europe are often never updated at all. I never received 5.1.1 for my (former) S5, for example. And I never got any updates for my (former) S6 EDGE+, either.
    There is Odin and sammobile , as long as you know your model number it's sweet.
    01-04-16 09:35 AM
    Note 5 doesn't have micro SD aka expandable memory. For that simple fact The Priv is better...

Posted via CB10
    01-04-16 09:58 AM
    I know - just didn't want to trip Knox. I'm famous for bricking my mobiles :-)
    01-04-16 10:41 AM
    Priv

01-04-16 10:43 AM
    I know - just didn't want to trip Knox. I'm famous for bricking my mobiles :-)
    Any official release from Samsung, will not trip knox
    01-04-16 10:46 AM
67 123