I like to use my playbook on my commute. Is there any rss/news agg app that will auto update on the playbook??...tried leaving bbnews app open in showcases overnight...but no updatrs while it off...:-(

Anyone know any alternatives??

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    01-27-14 02:51 PM
    I like to use my playbook on my commute. Is there any rss/news agg app that will auto update on the playbook??...tried leaving bbnews app open in showcases overnight...but no updatrs while it off...:-(

Anyone know any alternatives??

D7 Reader (Android sideload) is a great option. I don't use the option, but it can synchronize at various intervals. (Under Preferences > General > Widget Update)

D7 Reader (RSS | News) for BB10 - Blackberry Playbook and BB10 Android Apps
    nealjane1 likes this.
    01-27-14 03:13 PM
    Great. Ill give it a go tomorrow - much appreciated!! Im supprised theres no native app that does this on the pb!!

01-27-14 04:12 PM
    D7 reader actually works really well on the pl,aybook - thanks for the tip!! ;-)

set it up to update every few hours to start but the only way it seems to update is if I leave the app open, is there no way that android apps D7 services can remain open after you close the app??
    (app manager shows it closing on exit each time)

is it only BB app store android applications that can use this?? - think i read this somewhere??

Tried a few other android apps from the BB app store and they shut on exit too..... :-)
    01-29-14 08:06 AM
    Glad the app works nicely for you! It's very low footprint and I think it's one of the snappiest sideloads on my PB. I much prefer it to the Feedly app or web interface. It's been the best all-around Google Reader replacement that I could find.

Sorry to hear the widget setting doesn't work unless you have the app open. I figured that might be the only option. I don't know of any other options, native or sideloaded, but maybe others who have more experience with the subject will chime in.
    01-29-14 12:04 PM
    I've been messing round with the background app settings. I normally use the pb in showcase,,, which has shown no android apps running in the background under task manager...I've changed in to normal setting and now android background services are remaining open when I close the apps...there's hope for auto updating rss yet!! ;-)
    01-31-14 02:59 PM
    ok so rss update -

SIDELOADed apps
    pulse news 2.0.4 - does background refresh and worked!! performance is fairly good too SO THIS IS MY CURRENT SUGGESTION.
    flipboard 2.1.1- wont background update
    d7 - no, and won't work at all offline, otherwise nice quick rss reader- I even purchased the pro for my sg2.
    readitlater pro 1.3 - appears to work in background, but not really tested it.

NATIVE/ANDROID - BB APP STORE
    bb news (n)- no auto/ timed update :-(
    rss atom news(a) - won't background update
    reader (a)- won't background update (looks just like rss atom news!)
    news republic (a) - no

Whether alt versiins work/not. I don't know...

PB seems to have to be in DEFAULT app behaviour, as android runtime apps don't seem to backround otherwise
    Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    01-31-14 05:20 PM
    ok so my final prefered option was bb news......I'm gutted its going!!

I'm going to have to get uwed to one of the alternatives........even more bad news!!

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    04-03-14 04:20 PM