Skype mobile app for Verizon customers will launch this Thursday for those that haven't already heard.

The following BlackBerry devices supported at launch will be:

Storm 9530
    Storm 9550
    Tour 9630
    Curve 8330
    Curve 8530
    8830 World Edition
    Last edited by MrWireless31; 03-23-10 at 04:02 PM.
    03-23-10 03:54 PM
    And how do we know this?
    03-23-10 04:00 PM
    03-23-10 04:03 PM
    If the Skype app is coming only to VZW customers, whats to stop other people downloading the app and using it for skype-skype calls, instant messages etc over data plan?
    03-23-10 04:28 PM
    i would assume there would have to be some sort of verification required before the device will accept the app and be able to use it
    03-23-10 04:32 PM
    What's the benefit to Verizon for this? It could cause many people to start lowering their monthly plan to a cheaper plan with fewer minutes. It won't lighten the load on their network. I thought Skype was for pc-to-pc calling over the net. So what's the purpose of Skype on cell?
    03-23-10 04:34 PM
    In line with the question above, will it be possible to install skype on non-verizon devices? I can't believe skype would be tied to one single carrier which only operates in the US.
    Just wondering if installing the cods on other carriers bberrys would make it work or if its dependent on the service books.
    What a shame if its not possible! Looking forward to the release!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-10 04:49 PM
    I'm pretty excited about this.
    03-23-10 05:21 PM
    For US calls it uses minutes.
    For international calls it uses data.
    03-23-10 05:23 PM
    the only thing i'm wondering is if a friend of mine overseas makes a video call to me, if it will go thru. I dont necessarily need the video - simply the video calls are the free ones from computer to computer via skype. so, it would be cool if my friends overseas could reach me for free by calling using the video feature, even with the webcam off its free.
    03-23-10 05:33 PM
    For US calls it uses minutes.
    For international calls it uses data.
    Not according to the information that Verizon and Skype has released.
    03-23-10 07:50 PM
    no minutes used dude...only for intl calls...

not quite sure what the big deal is yet with this for VZW or the public??????????????????????
    03-23-10 07:54 PM
    What's the benefit to Verizon for this? It could cause many people to start lowering their monthly plan to a cheaper plan with fewer minutes. It won't lighten the load on their network. I thought Skype was for pc-to-pc calling over the net. So what's the purpose of Skype on cell?
    The benefits to Verizon will be the customers that they gain because of this feature, yet they have to have a data plan on a compatible phone.
    03-23-10 07:55 PM
    But who really cares? How many people really have skype? I talk all day to clients and customers...might be a while before it caches on...
    03-23-10 07:57 PM
    skype-skype= no minutes

skype-non skype= minutes based on plan

skype-intl non skype= have to have skype credit, not billed to cell statement... and probably cheaper anyway
    03-23-10 09:53 PM
    Wondering if one could use skype while roaming internationally? It would be awesome to be able to use skype to call back home and not have to pay the $2.89 per minute!

03-23-10 09:58 PM
    Will this work on my unlocked 9550 running on TMO?
    03-23-10 10:50 PM
    boygeniusreport.com/2010/03/23/first-look-at-skype-for-verizon-wireless-launching-march-25th/

Look at this. It will call a local verizon phone and then route the call thru skype. Its the same workaround that iskoot uses since ages and confirms the rumor that blackberry cannot do full duplex using data connection.

This is what I call a shame for RIM. What an a$$ solution.
    Will Verizon have a local number (free) number when one is roaming?

P.O.S.

03-24-10 01:11 AM
    But who really cares? How many people really have skype? I talk all day to clients and customers...might be a while before it caches on...
    I really care. I've had multiple four figure bills from roaming charges and if this works while roaming internationally, it would save a huge amount of money.

03-24-10 06:57 AM
    in short - if you make international phone calls, skype should help you cut down on cost. for everyone else who DOES NOT make international calls, you may find that the service probably isn't that useful.
    Last edited by MrWireless31; 03-24-10 at 08:43 AM. Reason: typo
    03-24-10 08:42 AM
    An acquired taste indeed. I got a few Army buddies that use Skype when at the FOB in Iraq and enough friends all around where this will come in quite handy.
    03-24-10 08:55 AM
    boygeniusreport.com/2010/03/23/first-look-at-skype-for-verizon-wireless-launching-march-25th/

Look at this. It will call a local verizon phone and then route the call thru skype. Its the same workaround that iskoot uses since ages and confirms the rumor that blackberry cannot do full duplex using data connection.

P.O.S.

Seeing as how the architecture works the same on the Droid and Eris...

Using a VZW-air-card or tethering on a laptop, VZW allows VoIP calling...

I think something is amiss at BGR.
    03-24-10 08:58 AM

P.O.S.

I think you're totally misinterpreting what they're saying. It also doesn't sound like a limitation of RIM. It sounds like VZW and Skype are working together to create a satisfying experience for the end users.

And your phone number comment is asinine. I don't understand what's so difficult about the logistics of how Skype will be implemented on VZW.

Skype to Skype = skype call, no charges
    Skype to International landline = Skype international calling plan.
    Skype to Local landline = vzw voice network (great and reasonable compromise. VZW won't let skype cusotmers to completely circumvent their voice plans.)

The behind the scenes operation should not matter to you. As long as it works. I don't think EVDO rev 0 and rev A can handle an onslaught of reliable VOIP calls without compressing it to an unsatisfactory degree.
    03-24-10 09:57 AM
    i have t-mobile and would love to have the skype app on my phone, so does anyone think they will be able to have skype in app world? even if the free call require us to be in a wi-fi spot like the iPhone's skype app
    03-24-10 09:42 PM
    03-25-10 03:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD