Q10 - compact, efficient, and stylish.
    Whilst there's no scope for manufacturing a direct QWERTY successor to the Q10, an all-touch version of the same design would make a really great small device. There could well be some market potential there: it's currently a sector filled only by the iPhone SE and Xperia X1 Mini, the former of which could well be discontinued.

The Q10 was my personal favourite BlackBerry, which helps! As for a Passport successor, I stand by my gut feeling: "Tried, tested, phenomenal... but probably best not to repeat."
    01-19-18 03:05 AM
    I prefer wider keyboard than the KeyOne..guess I was spoiled by Passport....

Posted via CB10
    Work with K1, changed from Q10. A little bit tinyer, closer to Q10 would be a reason to buy a new one (two). Even my K1 is new.
    Mrs Teapot likes this.
    01-19-18 03:53 AM
    Exactly. I don't use them for games. I use them for efficiency devices with some occasional breaks to browse the internet. With that in mind, they always meet and exceed my expectations. Sure there were optimizations to be had on all the devices but I'm just glad I still have the ability to get a physical keyboard in a modern package!
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    01-19-18 08:38 AM
    I really don't see these 2 KBD devices to be anything but KEYᵒⁿᵉ variants, probably a XL and regular sizes. TCL needs to develop their brand and push awareness. Old BlackBerry just spun different devices out and it didn't work, TCL should stick to what's working and look at exciting new designs after the market is well primed.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-19-18 09:05 AM
    Maybe just a screen difference?
    01-19-18 08:49 PM
    Agree with @panopticon. Give me Passport width, Passport keyboard, Passport speakers, 3:2 screen ratio=ultimate phablet!

Posted via CB10
    KEYone is already 3/2, for a wider screen you need 4/3.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-18 06:44 AM
    KEYone is already 3/2, for a wider screen you need 4/3.

Posted via CB10
    No. A bigger 3:2. As wide as Passport.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-18 07:39 AM
    I want a Q10 with android.
    01-21-18 08:09 AM
    No. A bigger 3:2. As wide as Passport.

Posted via CB10
    A device with a 3/2 ratio screen as wide as the Passport would be far too tall, it would be best to use a 4/3 ratio screen.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-18 09:40 AM
    Keyone is ok. Just eliminate the capacitive buttons and the space they take up.

You'll have a more compact KEYtwo.
    Mrs Teapot likes this.
    01-21-18 09:49 AM
    Keyone is ok. Just eliminate the capacitive buttons and the space they take up.

You'll have a more compact KEYtwo.
    But the point of having them there was to ensure minimum 3:2 aspect ratio at all times. Otherwise it would be encroaching on the display most of the time.
    01-21-18 01:29 PM
    But the point of having them there was to ensure minimum 3:2 aspect ratio at all times. Otherwise it would be encroaching on the display most of the time.
    I believe having capacitive buttons is not the only way to ensure 3:2 aspect ratio.

It won't encroach the display. It is simple coding. When viewing media content or scrolling through web pages the buttons go away.

Well you can even program the buttons to appear or disappear with a push of convenience button .

Maintaining the 3:2 aspect ratio this aggressively is not rational conite. Chill out.
    01-21-18 01:37 PM
    I believe having capacitive buttons is not the only way to ensure 3:2 aspect ratio.

It won't encroach the display. It is simple coding. When viewing media content or scrolling through web pages the buttons go away.

Well you can even program the buttons to appear or disappear with a push of convenience button .

Maintaining the 3:2 aspect ratio this aggressively is not rational conite. Chill out.
    I'm very chill, thanks for your concern.

The buttons are needed in most operating modes - except video playing and gaming. It's imperative for multitasking.

To have to hit another button or perform a swipe gesture everytime I want to access the square would be horrendous. I'm constant hopping between apps.
    01-21-18 01:40 PM
    I'm very chill, thanks for your concern.

The buttons are needed in most operating modes - except video playing and gaming. It's imperative for multitasking.

To have to hit another button or perform a swipe gesture every time I want to access the square would be horrendous.
    Convenience key was a joke...

Anyways I think losing that small space and gaining almost 2 cm space is more important.

A lot of OEMs use on screen keys which is a) much cheaper b) much more durable c)much better against ghost touches.

Anyone soooo obsessed about multitasking and can't afford a simple touch on the screen should opt for better devices in the multitasking department.
    01-21-18 01:46 PM
    A lot of OEMs use on screen keys which is a) much cheaper b) much more durable c)much better against ghost touches.
    Sure, but they have a full 16:9 screen to work with.

I'm hopping between two or three apps all day long. The KEYᵒⁿᵉ does just fine.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    01-21-18 02:10 PM
    Sure, but they have a full 16:9 screen to work with.

I'm hopping between two or three apps all day long. The KEYᵒⁿᵉ does just fine.
    Well touching the screen to activate the android buttons shouldn't be a problem.

Option to keep them on like in galaxy series would solve the issues.

The amount of space the capacitive buttons take up is much larger than the needed space for on screen.
    01-21-18 02:13 PM

Then I'd be left with less than 3:2.
    01-21-18 02:16 PM
    Then I'd be left with less than 3:2.
    Well bad for you .
    01-21-18 02:17 PM
    I want a Q10 with android.
    Top!
    Mrs Teapot likes this.
    01-21-18 05:06 PM
    Well touching the screen to activate the android buttons shouldn't be a problem.

The amount of space the capacitive buttons take up is much larger than the needed space for on screen.
    Absolutely, it isn't. That's the way it works on the PRIV and the DTEKs...and the Aurora. Not sure what TCL's obsession with buttons is all about? Perhaps their marketing focus groups are telling them that anyone who stills wants a BlackBerry has a fascination with buttons of all types, capacitive included.
    ardakca likes this.
    01-21-18 06:32 PM
    Absolutely, it isn't. That's the way it works on the PRIV and the DTEKs...and the Aurora. Not sure what TCL's obsession with buttons is all about? Perhaps their marketing focus groups are telling them that anyone who stills wants a BlackBerry has a fascination with buttons of all types, capacitive included.
    The screen ratio is 3:2, removing the capacitive nav bar doesn't change the 3:2 ratio. Adding this dynamic nav bar to the display will infringe on the 3:2 real estate and total usable space. This is fine for large displays but not a good idea for small displays like the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-18 06:57 PM
    The screen ratio is 3:2, removing the capacitive nav bar doesn't change the 3:2 ratio. Adding this dynamic nav bar to the display will infringe on the 3:2 real estate and total usable space. This is fine for large displays but not a good idea for small displays like the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.

Posted via CB10
    So what's the excuse for the Motion? They just really needed a home button with a BlackBerry logo on it, and a huge bezel with capacitive buttons on each side...despite the screen ratio?

Obviously in the KeyONE's case, they should have just made the screen a bit bigger (if they even had to). For the Motion....who knows what they were thinking?

The capacitive buttons are useless.
    01-21-18 07:09 PM
    So what's the excuse for the Motion? They just really needed a home button with a BlackBerry logo on it, and a huge bezel with capacitive buttons on each side...despite the screen ratio?

Obviously in the KeyONE's case, they should have just made the screen a bit bigger if they had to. For the Motion....who knows what they were thinking?

The capacitive buttons are useless.
    I'm not sure but it's probably related to the finger print sensor however it is a leno size chin. Alcatel is going to introduce Face unlock for their 2018 line up and you can pretty much guarantee BBMo is going to get it too. Perhaps the Motion 2 will have no buttons and it just be all Face unlock.

I did some math for the KEYᵒⁿᵉ for interest's sake. The KEYᵒⁿᵉ has a screen size of 1620 x 1080. The stock nav bar is 48dp and there's a formula apparently that determines the pixel height of the nav bar. px = dp(ppi/160) which for the KEYᵒⁿᵉ it would be 48(443/160). This equals 132.9 so we will round that to 133.

with this size of nav bar the usable pixel space would be 1487 x 1080 or a usable ratio of 2.75:2 which is much closer to a square screen (perhaps some would consider this better) If android would allow a non-traditional display with basically a 3:2 with an increased height for the nav bar the usable space would remain at 1620 x 1080 but the actual screen height would change to 1732 yielding a 3.24:2 ratio.

But what's the point even if android would allow it? Why not just have the capacitive nav bar? I think it's very blackberry-esque as it fills the spot for the BB tool belt. They want a stock experience so I know it's not the tool belt and it will remain the stock nav bar but the 9900 and Classic did have capacitive buttons above it's keyboard.
    01-21-18 07:23 PM
    I'm not sure but it's probably related to the finger print sensor however it is a leno size chin. Alcatel is going to introduce Face unlock for their 2018 line up and you can pretty much guarantee BBMo is going to get it too. Perhaps the Motion 2 will have no buttons and it just be all Face unlock.

I did some math for the KEYᵒⁿᵉ for interest's sake. The KEYᵒⁿᵉ has a screen size of 1620 x 1080. The stock nav bar is 48dp and there's a formula apparently that determines the pixel height of the nav bar. px = dp(ppi/160) which for the KEYᵒⁿᵉ it would be 48(443/160). This equals 132.9 so we will round that to 133.

with this size of nav bar the usable pixel space would be 1487 x 1080 or a usable ratio of 2.75:2 which is much closer to a square screen (perhaps some would consider this better) If android would allow a non-traditional display with basically a 3:2 with an increased height for the nav bar the usable space would remain at 1620 x 1080 but the actual screen height would change to 1732 yielding a 3.24:2 ratio.

But what's the point even if android would allow it? Why not just have the capacitive nav bar? I think it's very blackberry-esque as it fills the spot for the BB tool belt. They want a stock experience so I know it's not the tool belt and it will remain the stock nav bar but the 9900 and Classic did have capacitive buttons above it's keyboard.
    Perhaps you are correct and they chose capacitive keys over an on screen nav bar because they thought it looked more BlackBerry-esque. More likely though, to save a few bucks. At any rate, it has nothing to do with functionality. If indeed they needed a bit more screen real estate to the job done, than a bigger screen was the right call from a design standpoint.
    01-21-18 08:43 PM
    Perhaps you are correct and they chose capacitive keys over an on screen nav bar because they thought it looked more BlackBerry-esque. More likely though, to save a few bucks. At any rate, it has nothing to do with functionality. If indeed they needed a bit more screen real estate to the job done, than a bigger screen was the right call from a design standpoint.
    I would think a capacitive navbar would cost more than using pixels. TCL/Blackberry may have found their golden ratio for the size of the device which allowed them space for a capacitive navbar 3:2 screen and keyboard. Removing the capacitive navbar in favour of an onscreen one would probably mean the device should be shorter and maybe this affected the overall "feel" of the device negatively.

Whatever keyboard device is next...-keyones.jpg
    Last edited by DamianWarS; 01-21-18 at 09:52 PM.
    Qorax likes this.
    01-21-18 09:14 PM
271 ... 34567 ...