Out of curiosity (never had a 'classic BB OS' phone before), I bought a near-mint Bold 9900 from a private seller nearby. When I bought it, it was running.

After I got home, I played around with it and turned it off with the end call/power button. However, it wouldn't let me turn it on again, no matter how often or how long I pushed the button. It will only power on when I remove the battery and put it back in. Then it will power on by itself (is this normal behavior?). But removing the battery won't fix the power button issue.

Other than that, it works as it should, and the power button itself (holding it for 3 seconds) works reliably every time to turn it off. It just doesn't work to turn it on.

Any ideas?
    01-04-18 03:38 PM
    You can try reloading the OS, but it sounds like a hardware issue. And yes, it's normal for it too load up when inserting the battery.
    01-04-18 05:40 PM
    To answer ONE of your question. Having the blackberry turn on by itself once it's plugged in IS normal behavior (it fixed this issue before)

Try to figure out if the button itself if functional.

Try opening NORMAL app and then press it. If it goes back to the home screen then it's working. IF not then it's a dead key.
    01-04-18 05:51 PM
    Try to figure out if the button itself if functional.
    The button works fine when the phone is running. I tried to express this in the original post already.

BTW: Before I started this thread, I did search this sub-forum for "power". Now the forum software stubbornly keeps highlighting "power" wherever it appears. I can't find a way to stop that. Even completely new tabs starting from crackberry.com to the forum will do this.
    EDIT: Ok, found the highlight cookie and deleted it. Back to normal.
    Last edited by alxwz; 01-05-18 at 01:14 PM.
    01-04-18 06:31 PM
    Alright. Here are the facts then
    1) the power button doesn't start the phone but works after the blackberry starts.
    2) you can turn on the blackberry when it's completely off by plugging it in.

I think the problem is solved no?
    01-05-18 02:18 PM
    2) you can turn on the blackberry when it's completely off by plugging it in.
    No. It will *not* power on when plugged in. I never wrote that. After being powered off and plugged in, it will only sit there and charge. The *only* way to turn it on is to remove and reinsert the battery.

I think the problem is solved no?
    I didn't understand this regardless.
    01-05-18 07:44 PM
    Battery boot is normal. "End" key should off/on handset. I see the trackpad light start glowing about 1/2 sec after pressing "end" key, for startup. No clue why it's not doing that on yours but doesn't sound normal to me. I suppose it's possible there might be some sort of OS foul up but, like bla1ze said, could be hardware? What OS version are you using? Since "end" key seems to work otherwise, OS reload or update might make sense?
    01-06-18 01:00 PM
    OS: "7.1. Paket 2061 (v7.1.0.714, Plattform 5.1.0.532)". The phone is branded by Vodafone Germany.

I don't know how to reload an OS, and don't think I dare to, although I already downloaded BBSAK an had a look on it.

Just noticed that soft reset via alt, right shift and del keys also doesn't work.

Looked for a guide how to do a hard reset, but found that this is (according to macberry.de) essentially the battery out and in that I keep doing all the time since I got it.
    01-06-18 03:21 PM
    OS: "7.1. Paket 2061 (v7.1.0.714, Plattform 5.1.0.532)". The phone is branded by Vodafone Germany.

I don't know how to reload an OS, and don't think I dare to, although I already downloaded BBSAK an had a look on it.

Just noticed that soft reset via alt, right shift and del keys also doesn't work.

Looked for a guide how to do a hard reset, but found that this is (according to macberry.de) essentially the battery out and in that I keep doing all the time since I got it.
    Alt - right shift - del is similar to a battery pull and makes no change in the OS.

Reloading the OS is not that difficult. You can search for how right here in the forum. You can also do a factory reset, which is equal to reloading the OS with BDM. You'll need a computer running win7 or under, a fresh copy of the OS version, and BDM or BBSAK or similar tool.
    Try this first because surely no soft reset would help. And reloading the OS id what most of us Bold fan do.

If that does not help, you may need a new keyboard. You can buy it off eBay or Amazon. But make sure that it is they keyboard with complete circuit board, because some listings are for the keypad (keys) only while your problem might be on the circuit board.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-18 04:56 AM
    Hmm... 714 is pretty early. Early 7.1 was problematic. Latest OS is pretty universal starting point. Idk about Vodafone but suspect 1098 would be latest?? BDM is really pretty easy and safe. Always back up, of course.

If alt, shift & del keys work normally, otherwise, might indicate a software issue? Wonder how a reboot app functions? There are countless free re-boot apps at BBW one might try just out of curiosity...???

Something is certainly not quite right but if the handset is otherwise operating acceptably, I guess you'd have to decide how much trouble you're willing to devote to restoring shutdown capability? I, myself, almost never shut my device down. If I really want to assure the handset is truly OFF, no better assurance than pulling the battery. Mine, on OS 1066, takes only 2 minutes & 40 seconds to restore after battery insert. Fwiw.

Batt pull or reboot does help clean up BBOS' memory. I power my 9930 thru batt swaps almost exclusively which also keeps memory cleaned up. Just have better things for my handset to do than tying it to a wall performing demeaning battery charging functions. Lol. BUT, since I frequently utilize monster 3600mah extended battery that keeps 9900 running for multiple DAYS, a memory cleaning reboot is sometimes useful before that monster battery is due for swap. For that reason, I set up auto-reboot function provided by very useful "Advance OS & Led" app to automatically reboot every 4am. Far simpler in practice than it sounds. Especially once set up.

In short, your problem is certainly not "normal" but something you might elect to live with if you don't want to upgrade OS or swap KB. Imo. Fwiw.
    01-07-18 06:02 AM
    I'm usually not the one to shy away from tinkering with my gear, but I found BB's firmware numbering scheme quite confusing. Plus, most updates seem to be carrier-specific. And I have no experience with legacy BB devices at all.

Vodafone Germany is offering a firmware "Version 7.1.0.1033 01.08.2013" (= Aug 1, 2013):
    https://www.vodafone.de/business/hil...bold-9900.html

While "1033" is less than "2061", I guess it might be the same update that's on the BB website for Vodafone UK:
    BlackBerry Handheld Software v7.1.0.2807 (All Languages)
    Package Version: 7.1.0.2807
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 7.1.0.1033
    Software Platform: 5.1.0.692
    File name: 9900AllLang_PBr7.1.0_rel2807_PL5.1.0.692_A7.1.0.10 33_Vodafone_UK.exe
    File size: 281.59MB

Would that be new enough?
    I cannot find a "1098" (so that would be 7.1.0.1098, then?) firmware.

On the other side: If the device isn't willing to reboot, and a reboot will probably be needed for an OS update, isn't there a risk of bricking the device?

Again, for clarification: Shutdown *does* work. Reboot (alt-shift-del) and power on from the keyboard don't. When running, the keyboard works fine. Therfore I doubt that a kb swap would be a solution.
    01-07-18 12:04 PM
    Just noticed that:
    You'll need a computer running win7 or under
    Why that? Is BDM (which I presume means BlackBerry Desktop Manager) or BBSAK not compatible with W10? I only have W10 machines (32 and 64 bit).

Wonder how a reboot app functions? There are countless free re-boot apps at BBW one might try just out of curiosity...???
    Meanwhile, I did install one of those ("RestartMe Free"), and it does indeed work (automatic or manual restart).
    01-07-18 02:01 PM
    Just noticed that:

Why that? Is BDM (which I presume means BlackBerry Desktop Manager) or BBSAK not compatible with W10? I only have W10 machines (32 and 64 bit).

Meanwhile, I did install one of those ("RestartMe Free"), and it does indeed work (automatic or manual restart).
    Yes, that is BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Re Win10, some reported having no problem, while many got problem running BDM. I don't want to risk it if it is reloading the OS. I've never reloading OS on Win10.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-18 09:18 AM
    After a night of charging, the thing also won't power on after battery reinsertion anymore. Now it's completely bricked.
    01-13-18 10:45 AM
    After a night of charging, the thing also won't power on after battery reinsertion anymore. Now it's completely bricked.
    Bummer. It might yet be possible for BDM to make contact with the the thing through usb with the battery removed. A last ditch attempt, I suppose.?? Still a chance to extract data, at least? At this point you might not likely cause any MORE harm by trying win10?? Your call. AYOR tho.
    01-14-18 12:09 AM
    How long did a charge last before the battery died, and with what sort of usage?

Posted via CB10
    01-15-18 07:11 AM
    Sorry, turned out to be false alarm. Strangely, the battery was completely depleted after the phone being plugged into the computer all night. After having the computer powered up for quite a while, I had sent it to sleep. I don't understand why this would drain the battery, but after another charge in a proper charger, the phone acts like before (powering up only after battery reinsertion).

In the meantime, I acquired a second 9900 with a working power button. Strangely, this one does *not* power up after battery reinsertion (only the red LED lights up). Nor does it power up when I plug in the charger (just like the first one). I'm getting confused by this.

Anyway. The second unit doesn't look quite as nice as the first one (esp. the keyboard). I'm thinking about swapping cases and keeping the first unit just for parts (screen, battery). The second unit also has the 1033 firmware already installed.

BTW: There is no meaningful data on either of the two devices.
    01-15-18 08:03 PM