The guide at Whatsapp isn't as useful as it should be. Here's a quick guide to get you up and running on BlackBerry 7+.

1. Delete Whatsapp from your phone (https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/bb/20971446)

2. Install Whatsapp from their site (https://www.whatsapp.com/ota/ or https://beta.whatsapp.com/ota)

3. Reboot your device

4. If "Unsupported Device" message shows, exit the application and go to Options > Display > Date and Time. Set "Update Time" to 'Manual' and set the date to any date in 2016 (e.g. Sep 14, 2016). Apply the settings and launch Whatsapp.

5. Setup Whatsapp by going through the authentication process.

6. Once done, set your Date and Time back to Automatic. Definitely do this because BlackBerry 7 has lots of unknown issues when the date and time is not current.

Enjoy

I am YM
    Mobile/Desktop Application Development
    Last edited by yanike; 03-01-18 at 09:05 PM.
    07-14-17 01:22 PM
    Thx u. I'm happy with my 9900 again :-D
    09-13-17 05:15 AM
    So after December 31, 2017? No more then? no workaround? or will it work just not supported?

I would think Whatsapp would be more safer under BBOS7 than lets say.... IOS? ANDROID? lol
    09-25-17 06:03 AM
    So after December 31, 2017? No more then? no workaround? or will it work just not supported?
    It cease functioning, and there will be no workaround.
    09-25-17 10:48 AM
    That's just ridiculous... there is nothing wrong with the phone the OS, and yet they drop support in favor of a less secured OS ?

or is it because they don't wish to develop for BBOS 7.1 anymore?

Something seems off
    09-25-17 12:10 PM
    That's just ridiculous... there is nothing wrong with the phone the OS, and yet they drop support in favor of a less secured OS ?

or is it because they don't wish to develop for BBOS 7.1 anymore?

Something seems off
    It’s a business decision. It cost money to develop for an OS. Nothing is off.

And it’s not a question of security or how secure an OS is.

Also security is relative to everyone. For most people having a passecode on their phone is secure enough
    09-25-17 12:43 PM
    How much would it take to dev under BBOS 7.1? is there any price at all listed or ?
    09-25-17 01:25 PM
    How much would it take to dev under BBOS 7.1? is there any price at all listed or ?
    Does it matter how much?

Consider this: BBOS probably uses legacy coding that aren’t used today anymore. API are probably not all available for a fully functional whatsapp. Also the amount of users on BBOS is probably very small.

Then you have to test the app. Make sure it doesn’t compromise the security of the entire app on any platform... how is the app gonna be tested???

And I can go on and on. But just be logical and do a bit of your own reflection on this
    09-25-17 04:15 PM
    Does it matter how much?

Consider this: BBOS probably uses legacy coding that aren’t used today anymore. API are probably not all available for a fully functional whatsapp. Also the amount of users on BBOS is probably very small.

Then you have to test the app. Make sure it doesn’t compromise the security of the entire app on any platform... how is the app gonna be tested???

And I can go on and on. But just be logical and do a bit of your own reflection on this
    As i can understand the reason for BBOS 7, yes it's old but strong.

What is the excuse under BBOS 10 then? that's not old it's new still great and i'm sure many people are on it.
    09-26-17 01:39 AM
    As i can understand the reason for BBOS 7, yes it's old but strong.

What is the excuse under BBOS 10 then? that's not old it's new still great and i'm sure many people are on it.
    BB10 hasn’t been updated for over 2 years now! Blackberry doesn’t have any more employees supporting that OS.

And they account for less than 1% of the devices used in the world (I think the most recent report said it was 0.1%)

So what do you think the reason is?
    09-26-17 06:27 AM
    Isn't 10.4 around the corner? or is that debunked now?
    09-26-17 11:14 AM
    There was never going to be 10.4.
    09-26-17 12:16 PM
    Nope. Even 10.3.4 won’t happen, so forget about 10.4!
    09-26-17 12:28 PM
    My bad i meant 10.3.4 lol

Damn.. i guess it's all over then for BBOS10 sonva!
    09-27-17 12:45 AM
    It took me a long time to understand what's obious. THE PROGRAM WILL TELL YOU IT WON'T WORK.
    THen you do an old fashion 80's type trick of turning back time ONLY FOR THE INITIAL REGISTRATION and blamo you're in.

I'm in colombia and got a local SIM. and EVERYONE does EVERYTHING through WhatsApp. That's how EVERYTHING is done and blackberry service here is $10/month (prepaid, full blackberry plus any prepaid minutes and text you add) but with WHATSAPP I have a great phone with full internet and EVERYTHING I NEED To communicate with EVERYONE here. cause NO ONE calls, texts or emails you. They always WHATSAPP!!!!

thanks for a great write up yanike!
    10-22-17 02:52 AM
    BUMP! this thread needs some love at the top of the forum!
    01-04-18 06:03 PM
    Does not work anymore
    01-26-18 10:42 AM
    Does not work anymore
    no
    08-22-18 01:55 PM
    Any idea if this method still works? Where do I even download whatsapp for blackberry these days?
    08-10-19 07:21 AM
    Whatsapp Android works with BlackBerry 10 now. I installed it from the whatsapp web site. Sometimes the verifying part might take a few close app and re-launches, but it works great afterwards.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-19 08:40 PM
    Whatsapp Android works with BlackBerry 10 now. I installed it from the whatsapp web site. Sometimes the verifying part might take a few close app and re-launches, but it works great afterwards.

Posted via CB10
    This is regarding BBOS7 from thread categorization...
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    08-23-19 08:50 PM
    My bad. Replied to this old post I made and forgot to check the OS it was posted in.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-19 07:12 PM
    My bad. Replied to this old post I made and forgot to check the OS it was posted in.

Posted via CB10
    LOL well at least you were helpful and we'll intentioned.
    08-26-19 05:28 AM