Hey

I would like to share the solution which worked for me. Unfortunately the solution requires sideload using 3rd party application. Steps are pretty simple and whole process take no longer than 10 minutes.

1. Plug wiped Playbook to PC via USB.

2. In Chrome browser install extension 'Playbook app manager'

3. Download the video chat app bar file https://app.box.com/s/8wnenoxdmtils54kiqeddjjdhk32​4k0p

4. Set Playbook to Development Mode with a password

5. Set new device in Chrome/Playbook app manager using IP address as stated on Playbook in development mode

6. Click manage my device and press Install button and locate the downloaded bar file.

7. After installation is complete the videochat icon should be visible on playbook

8. Turn off Development mode on playbook

9. You can start using video chat. Works great to Playbook to Playbook and also Q10 to Playbook and vice versa.

Hope this helps

(Bold9870 -> Bold 9900 -> Q10 )
    sejogue likes this.
    10-23-17 03:56 AM
    Thank you! I will give it a shot and see how it goes.
    A couple of things:
    The BAR link is broken, though the text is correct: https://app.box.com/s/8wnenoxdmtils54kiqeddjjdhk324k0p
    I grabbed the Chrome extension from here : https://www.gridbook.org/pb-app-mgr/
    and installed into Vivaldi browser, that part seems to work ok sofar.
    10-23-17 11:19 PM
    Ok so that seemed to work nicely. I just had to make sure that autologin from the Chrome plugin was enabled and/or Link was not running.

I could call my Passport just fine.
    The video is a bit odd as it really wants the Playbook to be portrait mode else the image appears sideways on my Passport.
    Also (I'm using 2 different BBID) I can only call from PlayBook to Passport. No way to add my Playbook PIN to contacts on the Passport and opening the video call log in the Hub to try and call back always results in failure.

However that's fine for now. The Playbook gets a 2nd life as a dedicated video terminal for home to call me.
    10-25-17 01:28 AM
    Still using the PlayBook with Today's Alarm Clock (announces time, date, weather at alarm event) with Battery Guru and the native weather app. Today's Alarm Clock is a very powerful alarm app that I wish was available on Android to run on an Android Tablet as my PlayBook's battery health is at about 45%.
    rayporsche likes this.
    10-30-17 04:55 PM
    That's just too cool!, Thanks.
    10-30-17 05:55 PM
    It's nice to see there are others still getting use out of this great device. I may not use mine as I did when new but when I do I am immediately reminded of the great build quality. I have Android, windows and other BlackBerry devices of which all I have thought of parting with. But when it comes to the PlayBook the thought never crossed my mind unless it completely stops working. I have been enjoying it since it's release in my area in 2011.

Posted Via my Great Z30
    11-03-17 10:27 AM
    Still working as one of my email clients, native client GMAIL still works, but now yahoo mail does not.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-17 01:55 PM
    I use my 64gig PB + my 32gig 4G LTE ( so much faster) more than ever. When I play You Tube videos, the screen is so sharp, even the speakers are satisfactory but much better with earphones. With the Dolphin Browser, I am able to access most things Google. GMail works perfectly with the native email app, even my contacts from my desktop iMac are now on my PB. I have about 40-50 apps on my PB, most of which I never use ( so much for having more apps). Along with my KB with convertible case, bluetooth stereo speaker + rapid charger, I am not missing a thing. The best part is that I never paid more than 10% of the original price.
    AladarMezga and TOphotog like this.
    11-05-17 11:20 AM
    I use my 64gig PB + my 32gig 4G LTE ( so much faster) more than ever. When I play You Tube videos, the screen is so sharp, even the speakers are satisfactory but much better with earphones. With the Dolphin Browser, I am able to access most things Google. GMail works perfectly with the native email app, even my contacts from my desktop iMac are now on my PB. I have about 40-50 apps on my PB, most of which I never use ( so much for having more apps). Along with my KB with convertible case, bluetooth stereo speaker + rapid charger, I am not missing a thing. The best part is that I never paid more than 10% of the original price.
    Yes a good set of headphones or external speakers and you tube the sound quality is great.

Posted Via my Great Z30
    11-12-17 01:33 PM
    It's the combo of the screen quality + great earphones that's quite spectacular with the PB, then connect it with the HDMI cable to a TV, takes the PB to another level.
    ots1960 likes this.
    11-14-17 04:59 AM
    I have a few playbooks, and have loaded them up with movies and music for the kids. Great for when we're travelling and my kids can hook up the magnetic charger without breaking anything (they are young). I do miss the video chat app as we used to be able to connect with family half way around the world. Now my wife uses her android tablet or phone for for that. I still use my 64gb playbook for plenty of things as well, mostly movies and music too. Whenever I attend meetings and need documentation to refer to, I'll load it up on my PB. I can use my Blackberry DTek60, but the screen on my PB is so much bigger and it stands up nicely on the table. Kind of miss using my Z10 and Z30 though, the OS10 was so nice to use for those years, and the link/tethering for the phone was cool... but now I'm trying to get used to android. I'm still hoping to find more ideas here for more practical Playbook uses though as I hope to keep using mine for a few more years.
    11-16-17 05:50 PM

Mine has never failed to wake me up. It's my personal alarm clock.
    11-20-17 08:12 PM
    I use it everyday as a white noise machine in my newborn's bedroom. nothing else.

I stopped using it a few years ago. I found websites and pdfs were getting rendered incorrectly - tables won't load, graphics not loading, etc. I had an issue when my work email was sunc to it using Exchange, things would keep re-sending from my outbox on a constant loop. I can only assume this bug was eventually fixed?

It is a solid piece of hardware and I feel like I didn't get return on investment. It would be nice if I could just install Android on it and use it as a media player or something.
    11-22-17 11:25 AM
    You can still use video chat. I just did that a few weeks ago when I was on business trip. Video chat from PlayBook to my Passport.
    PlayBook to PlayBook ought to be easy
    11-28-17 04:07 PM
    I still use mine for media and videos as portable tablet.
    The speakers are fantastic, don’t you think?
    12-01-17 09:14 PM
    The speakers are fantastic, don’t you think?
    So agree. I played an 8 Tracks playlist through it over dinner. Thought about hooking up externals but wasn't needed. The speakers sound awesome. Currently using my PB for DLNA streaming from my server and for music. It'll always be a great device for handling media.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-17 04:10 PM
    I've been using my Playbook with Nobex Radio, great streamer program. Today I turned it on and Nobex wasn't working.....figured the app was goofy, but exact same on my 2nd Playbook! (good to have a backup)

Anyway, turns out that NO multimedia is working now.....can't play movies, can't record/playback from the camera, etc. Something has gone goofy on BOTH playbooks. I've tried a hard reset, to no avail.....I even did a security wipe, reload, etc., still nothing.

Has anybody else witnessed anything like this? I last used Nobex less than a week ago, all was working just fine.

I'm stumped!

Thanks,

David
    12-02-17 09:03 PM
    I have the latest VideoChat bar file, do you have somewhere I can upload it, else if you're able to send me a private message with your email, I'll send it to you, it's 5.2MB. Once you receive it, get the Blackberry App extension for Google Chrome and it's a snap to load. I've just joined Crackberry, not sure if there is an option to send a private message?)

David
    12-02-17 09:26 PM
    Replying to my own post.....I'm going to try another security wipe, then test multimedia BEFORE reloading Nobex.....I can't imagine that any other update has come through, and that's the only non-original app installed.

David
    12-02-17 09:30 PM
    Replying to my own post.....I'm going to try another security wipe, then test multimedia BEFORE reloading Nobex.....I can't imagine that any other update has come through, and that's the only non-original app installed.

David
    Try joox.com using origami browser set to desktop mode. Another option from nobex

Posted via CB10
    12-04-17 12:49 PM
    Not using, anymore. I have my 32GB for sale, in box. Someone wants that any my z10 in box for $100. I hope that's good
    12-18-17 10:20 PM
    I just turned mine on today after 2 years of hibernation . She looks good!

Posted via CB10
    12-25-17 06:33 AM
    martinjdub it says something about the excellent technology of the Playbook, that the battery is still functional after 2 years. Also the multi-tasking + the fact that it uses flash make it so relevant.
    12-25-17 07:34 AM
    Still using mine for email, light browsing, calendar, and music. The weather app is accurate and even YouTube works with a little patience.

Posted via CB10
    G_Unit MVP likes this.
    12-29-17 08:45 PM
    still use my 64gb nightly. usually just download the latest TV episodes and movies and watch them with earbuds on
    G_Unit MVP and j_the_p like this.
    12-29-17 10:25 PM
685 ... 1617181920 ...