I have ScreenCorder by burning platform which use rarely so wish there was an easy way so it didn't run always and I just open it to use so it had both options however I can deal with this but the app had me literally cursing up a storm last night as I created a video (four times) or tried to which was about Fella for facebook to show them a few small bugs versus try to explain them via text as they are to small to explain over words versus a screen recording.

Anyway, lowest setting, each one done over and over and over, same settings and around 9 minutes to I got down to as low as 5:02 seconds. Each one failed after I thought I was done. I was so frustrated I nearly broke my brick wall by throwing my passport at it.

Anyway, ScreenCorder works great for videos under two minutes it seems it always works. It doesn't seem to work if you try to record longer then that. I know burning platform is still an active dev maybe it can be ironed out however in the meantime I need an app that can screen record as long as I have space left. 16gb on my phone and 43 on my SD left! I need one that doesn't fail ASAP as need to do a fairly long fifteen minutes or just under screen recording (lowest setting is fine) as soon as I can. Any other recommendations?

I'd prefer it didn't run in background also as barely use it but when I do, I NEED it so no issue with tapping the icon.

Maybe @BurningPlatform knows why and I am doing something wrong or its just a glitch and doesn't record longer then two minutes as that to many failures in a row and it doesn't tell u it failed until after u think your awesome work is complete! That's un'awesome! LoL.

Anyway, in case BP is interested - Blackberry Passport SE 2205 runtime .172 (not that it matters) on AT&T.

Anybody have other suggestions of screen reordering apps for BB10 that YOU know work with fairly long video recordings. Low or high Rez, don't care! Thanks!

Thanks, Dread

 Passport SE  -Working wiDe in 2017+...
    11-20-17 12:59 PM
    Did you try contacting BurningPlatfrom..... they are still pumping out paid apps, but not sure what kind of developer they are.

There was an app called creativity Screen Recorder that I used for a short while, pretty sure it did far more than 2 Minutes.
    11-20-17 01:34 PM
    Hey @DreadPirateRegan,

Just for test, I have just fired ScreenCorder and on my 10.3.3.3057 Passport I've recorded a 7:11 long video with sound in 720x720 resolution (i.e. with the highest settings available on the Passport) - without any issues. Then after some 30 minutes I gave it another try and successfully recorded a 6:16 long video, and right after that yet another one, 7:28 long. They were 7:11, 6:16 and 7:28 only because I wasn't patient enough to wait any longer and I stopped recording at that moment, or else it'd keep recording. So I'm sorry but I couldn't reproduce your problem. And even though the app has been available for almost 1.5 years, no one else has ever reported such an issue to me. In 2016, ScreenCorder won BlackBerry's Developer Hero contest and it underwent some rigorous tests of theirs (also in order to get the sys_headless_large permission which was restricted at that time).

Developer Hero Program Winners! | BlackBerry Developer Blog

Therefore, I assume that it must be something specific to your device - maybe some other headless apps working simultaneously and conflicting somehow, or some memory hungry apps running and leaving too little free RAM for contiguous video buffer, or some system corruption.... I just don't know. Maybe a simple restart of the device can help, like it is often the case on BB10.

As for your preference so that it didn't run in the background....... well, that's THE VERY PURPOSE it was made for. There were countless normal screen recording apps (that one needs to launch, then minimize, and only then start recording) but no headless ones, so I did it just for that - to have it always running in the background and always ready to start recording with a press of a button within half a second. And also so that its active frame doesn't have to appear in recordings. So its main feature can hardly be considered its disadvantage - it's just that you got a wrong app if you weren't looking for a headless functionality....

Anyway, there's a very simple way to prevent it from running in the background when you don't need it - e.g. if you use it rarely and don't want to have it running all the time. That's what the "Stop Service" action button (located at the bottom of the UI part's main screen) is for. Just tap it to stop the headless service and then simply close the app. It won't work until you either launch the app again or restart the phone.

@Dunt Dunt Dunt,

they are still pumping out paid apps, but not sure what kind of developer they are.
    It's never too late to give us a try

-----
    Burning Platform software for BB10
    Last edited by BurningPlatform; 11-20-17 at 07:29 PM.
    11-20-17 06:38 PM
    Hey @DreadPirateRegan,

Just for test, I have just fired ScreenCorder and on my 10.3.3.3057 Passport I've recorded a 7:11 long video with sound in 720x720 resolution (i.e. with the highest settings available on the Passport) - without any issues. Then after some 30 minutes I gave it another try and successfully recorded a 6:16 long video, and right after that yet another one, 7:28 long. They were 7:11, 6:16 and 7:28 only because I wasn't patient enough to wait any longer and I stopped recording at that moment, or else it'd keep recording. So I'm sorry but I couldn't reproduce your problem. And even though the app has been available for almost 1.5 years, no one else has ever reported such an issue to me. In 2016, ScreenCorder won BlackBerry's Developer Hero contest and it underwent some rigorous tests of theirs (also in order to get the sys_headless_large permission which was restricted at that time).

Developer Hero Program Winners! | BlackBerry Developer Blog

Therefore, I assume that it must be something specific to your device - maybe some other headless apps working simultaneously and conflicting somehow, or some memory hungry apps running and leaving too little free RAM for contiguous video buffer, or some system corruption.... I just don't know. Maybe a simple restart of the device can help, like it is often the case on BB10.

As for your preference so that it didn't run in the background....... well, that's THE VERY PURPOSE it was made for. There were countless normal screen recording apps (that one needs to launch, then minimize, and only then start recording) but no headless ones, so I did it just for that - to have it always running in the background and always ready to start recording with a press of a button within half a second. And also so that its active frame doesn't have to appear in recordings. So its main feature can hardly be considered its disadvantage - it's just that you got a wrong app if you weren't looking for a headless functionality....

Anyway, there's a very simple way to prevent it from running in the background when you don't need it - e.g. if you use it rarely and don't want to have it running all the time. That's what the "Stop Service" action button (located at the bottom of the UI part's main screen) is for. Just tap it to stop the headless service and then simply close the app. It won't work until you either launch the app again or restart the phone.

@Dunt Dunt Dunt,

It's never too late to give us a try

-----
    Thanks for testing, I will give it another go tomorrow and report back and I can't be sure if I restarted but do not think I did. I also just shut the permission off to it as I thought it came back each restart as mentioned so one and done. Then I just click the icon to use it which is great! I as just saying wish it had both however did not know the back story. Other times I've used it for short videos no issues. Like I said, will give it another go after a fresh restart.

Thanks, Dread

11-20-17 10:37 PM
    Fine! When you find the time to play some more with it, please report if it works OK for you after the restart. Please also try it without other headless apps running at the same time, in order to eliminate any possible conflicts between them.

Headless apps have certain limitations on BB10. A single headless service (even with the special sys_headless_large permission) cannot use more than 12 MB of RAM, and there's also a limit of its allowed CPU usage. The OS monitors both each individual headless app and all of them combined, and if either some headless service or all of them exceed allowed RAM or CPU usage then the OS may halt or close some without even notifying the user. So it may happen that certain headless apps work perfectly fine separately, but when running simultaneously their combined RAM/CPU utilization exceeds those rigorous limits and the OS takes care of it... Not a bug but rather an OS limitation...

-----
    11-21-17 12:15 PM
    Fine! When you find the time to play some more with it, please report if it works OK for you after the restart. Please also try it without other headless apps running at the same time, in order to eliminate any possible conflicts between them.

Headless apps have certain limitations on BB10. A single headless service (even with the special sys_headless_large permission) cannot use more than 12 MB of RAM, and there's also a limit of its allowed CPU usage. The OS monitors both each individual headless app and all of them combined, and if either some headless service or all of them exceed allowed RAM or CPU usage then the OS may halt or close some without even notifying the user. So it may happen that certain headless apps work perfectly fine separately, but when running simultaneously their combined RAM/CPU utilization exceeds those rigorous limits and the OS takes care of it... Not a bug but rather an OS limitation...

-----
    Okay, I had it running I had a permission off so it stopped headless permanently so I did not have to redo it each restart so I am gathering it was either this or the restart was needed. 6:11 minute video, working well.. I suppose will leave it running versus going to the service each time to stop. Love headless and appreciate what it is especially now that I know the back story..

Main issue, worked for me now. Thanks again, Dread

Usererror* possible or like you said, needed a restart...

11-26-17 07:10 PM