We need a pkb not a full touch screen phone, preferably priv 2
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    08-30-17 03:51 PM
    Well for starters no licensing money. They fully own Palm (the brand).

And Graffiti+Stylus is always an option.
    That what I taught I said.... more competitive.

I know the first time I used a BOLD after having used a TREO.... couldn't not believe there was no Stylus or a touch screen. BOLD had much better battery live and faster emails, but PALM had overall better software features and hardware.

What TCL will do with it... could be anything. From a $79 cheap pre-paid type phone to a really nice premium business phone. But yes a NOTE type stylus would be nice.
    08-30-17 03:57 PM
    So you think they'll be willing to loses millions on BlackBerry Mobile... in the hopes that at some point they'll hit upon "something". Maybe up to a point, but TCL Communication Technology Holding Limited.... is treated as a separate listed company TCL Communication Technology Holdings Limited. It's revenues was only 23 Million... which is down from 28 Million the year before. And they loss $550K on the year. See no real sign of the other three TCL companies "sharing the burden" with them.... So no I don't think millions are going to be wasted if they see things aren't going well initially.

There is a reason the KEYone is $550
    There is a reason it has a 625 SoC and the body is made out of plastic.
    There is a reason that inventory is so tight - or non-existent at times.
    There is a reason that this launch has dragged out almost six months now.

TCL isn't risking more than they have to, because they can't afford too!
    Wrong company. TCL is 80,000 employees and $15 billion in revenue. They are the third largest TV manufacturer in the world. The money they are risking on the BlackBerry Mobile brand is a longer term strategic investment.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-30-17 03:59 PM
    I think if they want to make a splash they should be releasing a flagship phone equivalent to the LG G6 to give Blackberry fans something to boast about otherwise it's just another Blackberry we can tuck in our pocket before someone sees the branding name on it.
    The reality is that there aren't nearly enough BB fans who would choose a BB flagship over an iPhone or Galaxy (which would likely be lower priced) to make it a viable product, but also, flagship SoCs are in high demand and have limited availability - and to get on the buyer's list, you have to be buying in high volumes. TCL isn't in the flagship market, so they can't buy in high enough volume to be considered - Qualcomm would prioritize other buyers over them.

That's why the DTEK60 used a year-old SoC at launch - it was likely the best TCL could get at the time in small volumes.

The smartphone business is a lot more complicated than many appreciate, and it is very easy to make a mistake and lose many millions of dollars. TCL is proceeding carefully, and that is smart.

Those looking for flagship specs have other brands to choose from.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-30-17 04:00 PM

That's why the DTEK60 used a year-old SoC at launch - it was likely the best TCL could get at the time in small volumes.
    60 wasn't TCL's only phone with an 820. TCL 950 also used it and is the cousin to the 60. They used that because that was what they were working on already, just a new screen was needed.
    08-30-17 04:03 PM
    That what I taught I said.... more competitive.

I know the first time I used a BOLD after having used a TREO.... couldn't not believe there was no Stylus or a touch screen. BOLD had much better battery live and faster emails, but PALM had overall better software features and hardware.

What TCL will do with it... could be anything. From a $79 cheap pre-paid type phone to a really nice premium business phone. But yes a NOTE type stylus would be nice.
    I was adding to your point... not countering it.
    08-30-17 04:05 PM
    60 wasn't TCL's only phone with an 820. TCL 950 also used it and is the cousin to the 60. They used that because that was what they were working on already, just a new screen was needed.
    Right - but, again, it was nearly a year old when it was released - when TCL could actually get those SoCs. They weren't getting them the same time they were released.
    08-30-17 09:16 PM
    Might be true... I can tell you that 90% of the buying public in the US want a Brand that the know - Apple, Samsung (these two account for 75%), LG, Moto, HTC. I expect the other 10% is made up of sub $100 phones that no one cares who makes. Which is probable why TCL went for the licencing deal, they wanted a recognizable brand to use here. Only BlackBerry hasn't been much of a brand here for several phone replacement cycles.

But TCL has clearly stated their target for the BlackBerry Brand is ENTERPRISE and that Alcatel is their Consumer Brand.
    There is a hill between TCL and the target . Enterprise wants a reliable slab phone with a proven track record.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-31-17 02:12 AM
    How many enterprise customers does BlackBerry really have anymore? Most companies are either Apple, Samsung, or BYOD these days. And I doubt government agencies would trust a Chinese-built phone, even with BlackBerry software. The Washington DC agencies that still use BlackBerry are using BB10 or even BB7.
    Uhm... Apple is Chinese built along with a long list of BYO devices.
    08-31-17 06:52 AM
    I don't mind waiting, as my KEYone is still brand new, but I do think that they should release a all-touch model very soon.
    They are, October being the release date... Tentatively
    08-31-17 06:56 AM
    My guess is more like DTEK50 so $300 class.
    Article said same price point as keyone
    08-31-17 06:58 AM
    Isn't iPhone made in China? What about Samsung?
    Samsung is South Korea I believe
    08-31-17 06:59 AM
    Samsung is South Korea I believe
    They have plants in China too.
    08-31-17 07:27 AM
    Wrong company. TCL is 80,000 employees and $15 billion in revenue. They are the third largest TV manufacturer in the world. The money they are risking on the BlackBerry Mobile brand is a longer term strategic investment.

TCL is made up of four companies... each of which is a separate company, not just a division of the parent company. They each have their own Boards, their own Investors and their own Budgets, their own finical statements (link above)... and their own problems. Yes over all combined TCL is a very large company, but do you think Investors in the Display Company that may be doing very well right now... are just going to "give" the Communications Company money for some risky venture using the BlackBerry name? A loan maybe, with interest. So the Board for TCL Communications would need to be really sure about what they are doing and that it would have positive results. Especially as they are currently in a negative cash flow situation... before BlackBerry even came along.

TCL Communications might want the BlackBerry licensing to work, and have long terms goals in mind.... but it is CLEAR from what they have done so far, that they are not willing to risk too much.
    joekiser likes this.
    08-31-17 07:48 AM
    TCL is made up of four companies... each of which is a separate company, not just a division of the parent company. They each have their own Boards, their own Investors and their own Budgets, their own finical statements (link above)... and their own problems. Yes over all combined TCL is a very large company, but do you think Investors in the Display Company that may be doing very well right now... are just going to "give" the Communications Company money for some risky venture using the BlackBerry name? A loan maybe, with interest. So the Board for TCL Communications would need to be really sure about what they are doing and that it would have positive results. Especially as they are currently in a negative cash flow situation... before BlackBerry even came along.

TCL Communications might want the BlackBerry licensing to work, and have long terms goals in mind.... but it is CLEAR from what they have done so far, that they are not willing to risk too much.
    Now I understand what you're saying. It's not uncommon for multinationals to set up multiple legal entities, but that doesn't necessarily mean the finances and governance are actually independent. We'd need to look at the actual composition of their boards and investors to.understand that.

There are good tax reasons to run a US division at a loss, for example if it's not yet profitable, or to separate the business for political reasons if investing offshore is a political liability, as it is for some Chinese manufacturers.

I'm not saying you're wrong. But I wouldn't assume the companies are truly independent from each other.

08-31-17 08:02 AM
    I agree it should be about $300 if it really is a 625 SoC with spec like the KEYone.....

So we know the price point, we just don't 100% know what the hardware will be.

But it's going to be an Enterprise only device.... as I doubt even collectors are going to go for this.
    I'll go for it, but I know I'm in the VERY limited minority. I want it. I will buy it. But, there can't be many out there like me unless they offer something really different.
    09-22-17 08:03 AM
    I'll go for it, but I know I'm in the VERY limited minority. I want it. I will buy it. But, there can't be many out there like me unless they offer something really different.
    Even some fans are questioning wouldn't the DTEK60 be a better phone.... other than older version of Android. If TCL does agree to upgrade the DTEKs....
    09-22-17 08:11 AM
    As a followup to the KEYone will the new BlackBerry Mobile phone be called The NoKeyAhh?
    09-22-17 10:20 AM
    As a followup to the KEYone will the new BlackBerry Mobile phone be called The NoKeyAhhhhh?
    09-22-17 10:26 AM
    They should have named the KEYone the K1 leaving the T1 for the all touch model.
    09-23-17 04:30 PM
95 ... 234