I am considering buying a DTEK50 off ebay if I get it at a good price. I currently have a blackberry classic and blackberry leap. For anyone that currently owns this device would you suggest buying it?
    Cheers

Posted via CB10
    09-22-17 12:07 PM
    There is one on ebay for 194 plus 9 bux shipping..worth it?

Posted via CB10
    09-22-17 12:29 PM
    It's a very decent basic Android with all the BlackBerry "special sauce" if you like that. Just don't count on an update from Marshmallow, and it should meet reasonable expectations.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    big_time2 likes this.
    09-22-17 12:40 PM
    Thanks wow you still rock a Z10 eh..i want to get that too just cause I never owned it.but isn't the battery life really poor like 4 hours?

Posted via CB10
    09-22-17 12:51 PM
    If you can find it for a low price, go for it. However, keep your expectations low because we aren't likely to get updated to Nougat.
    09-22-17 12:58 PM
    I've had my DTEK50 for over a year now. Best BlackBerry I've owned. No compromises.

Also remember.. No Nougat (most likely) and no picture password.

Sent from my STH100-1 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-22-17 01:33 PM
    I bought one hoping it would replace my PRIV since I'm having trouble with the charging port, but I just don't like it at all!!!!
    09-22-17 03:39 PM
    Thanks wow you still rock a Z10 eh..i want to get that too just cause I never owned it.but isn't the battery life really poor like 4 hours?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, the battery life on the Z10 is really poor. Too small of a device, with too bright a screen and too powerful radios. I carry a spare battery and charge often. I just love the form factor and BB10, though I am in the process of testing out a KEYone.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-22-17 04:00 PM
    There is one on ebay for 194 plus 9 bux shipping..worth it?

Posted via CB10
    I'm guessing US dollars? Would be a great price if Canadian dollars.

I have had mine for 10 months and it has worked fine. But you get what you pay for. The DTEK50 is at best a midrange phone.
    09-26-17 09:17 PM
    I have even refurbished my Z3 in 2017,and its still awesome
    09-28-17 01:32 AM
    I had it for two months, but eventually gave it too the miss because her Q10 broke and she also destroyed my Z10.... She is actually really happy with the DTEK50, because her demands do not go much beyond the typical iPhone user. As a casual user, she think battery life is fine and she really likes the stereo speakers. as she destroyed her Q10 and my Z10 you can guess she does not handle her phones with care. for that the DTEK50 Is also great with its rubberized plastic back and aluminium frame.

All with a very decent device and good bang for buck. But if you are like me and you expect more from your phone, get the DTEK60, or wait for the Krypton
    09-30-17 06:39 AM
    The battery has only lasted about 12 hours with minimal use, I've tried the drain it, charge it,drain it,charge it routine still no luck to get the battery up to half decent levels for minimal use.
    It does have a nice screen, nice sound ,thin feel to it ,it kinda reminds me of the Z10 battery wise
    Good luck

Posted via CB10
    10-03-17 07:58 PM
    The battery on mine lasts on average two days. Something is draining your battery probably an app.
    10-05-17 07:12 PM
    I am considering buying a DTEK50 off ebay if I get it at a good price. I currently have a blackberry classic and blackberry leap. For anyone that currently owns this device would you suggest buying it?
    Cheers

Posted via CB10
    Not at all. You are better off buying the BlackBerry Motion.
    10-09-17 09:38 PM
    Not at all. You are better off buying the BlackBerry Motion.
    But that's at least an extra $200
    EastMcCauley likes this.
    10-11-17 02:43 PM
    What I think might sell is a lower tier phone to replace the DTEK50 by next summer preloaded with Oreo and priced around $300 Canadian.
    10-11-17 07:01 PM
    What I think might sell is a lower tier phone to replace the DTEK50 by next summer preloaded with Oreo and priced around $300 Canadian.
    What's in this idea that makes any money for BBMo or the carrier? They want profits not charitable write offs.
    78DoubleK likes this.
    10-11-17 07:18 PM
    What do carriers have to do with it? Low tier phones are always sold unlocked.

Many companies sell low-cost phones to meet the needs of a fuller range of customers.
    10-12-17 12:08 PM
    What do carriers have to do with it? Low tier phones are always sold unlocked.

Many companies sell low-cost phones to meet the needs of a fuller range of customers.
    Not sure where you are but here in the US, lower priced devices come through carrier by locking device to carrier.
    10-12-17 12:54 PM
    Canada. Most but not all low cost phones are unlocked. All carrier promotion is for the premium phones. Not sure why anyone in Canada would buy a locked low-cost phone other than lack of awareness of the alternative.
    10-12-17 03:01 PM
    Canada. Most but not all low cost phones are unlocked. All carrier promotion is for the premium phones. Not sure why anyone in Canada would buy a locked low-cost phone other than lack of awareness of the alternative.
    BBMo is already on the carrier shelves in Canada. With their limited resources, they are attempting same with BlackBerry name brand in the USA as postpaid mid-tier carrier locked devices. They already have the lower end covered with Alcatel brand.
    10-12-17 06:16 PM
    Starting this December all new mobile devices offered by Canadian carriers have to be sold unlocked.

Back to my original point. For folks like the opening poster and myself who are happy with a low-cost phone I think BlackBerry Mobile should offer such a phone to replace the DTEK50 some time next year. I think it would sell especially if it came with Oreo.
    10-13-17 11:16 AM
    Starting this December all new mobile devices offered by Canadian carriers have to be sold unlocked.

Back to my original point. For folks like the opening poster and myself who are happy with a low-cost phone I think BlackBerry Mobile should offer such a phone to replace the DTEK50 some time next year. I think it would sell especially if it came with Oreo.
    Carrier unlocked won't be the same as factory unlocked. Again, the carriers have no interest with low cost devices especially if not locked to carrier. They will have to rely on the hardware itself to provide all of it's own profit. The Motion is the low-mid price device you're going to get. Too low priced and you won't get Oreo, you'll get Nougat because, again, it's less to carry over from KEYone and they'll save Oreo for a more expensive device, if that even happens, as incentive to buy more expensive device.

Sure your idea would sell, with little to no profit. BBMo is not in that economic position nor is that how they've operated with BlackBerry license with KEYone. They want to prove to Carriers, that BlackBerry is worth having on shelves and cheap phones don't get shelf space.
    10-13-17 11:40 AM