Nothing beats a Google phone
    Or you could educate yourself to a Novice level of device education of bootloading and never have to worry about a device being obsolete until you want it, and never be forced into a new device again.
    09-17-17 08:00 PM
    Hmm as long as you have a Google phone you have the latest and first so what are you talking about
    Many Android OEM's provide two major OS updates to their mid/high end phones, not just Google. The poster I replied to implied only Google was offering that.
    09-17-17 08:11 PM
    Many Android OEM's provide two major OS updates to their mid/high end phones, not just Google. The poster I replied to implied only Google was offering that.
    We were expecting blackberry or who ever is now looking after the priv to be above other producers, however blackberry is no longer a legend, or market leading, it is merely a memory of a once different company.

And the keyone is not market leading, it is a image of the past, in the modern world you need a screen real estate versus a keyboard and screen.

The priv was that combination, that gave us the screen with the hidden keyboard, the party piece, the nougat that allowed us to chat up the women, with a look of shock when you flicked it up in front of them....

But anyway whatever we say BlackBerry is now a common low end producer, that will allow none updates at two years.

Sorry not doing that again, been here to many times.
    09-18-17 01:18 AM
    I may be in the minority here, but I have been burned by updates being too slow on older hardware. Not getting Nougat might be a blessing in keeping the performance in line.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-17 11:55 AM
    I may be in the minority here, but I have been burned by updates being too slow on older hardware. Not getting Nougat might be a blessing in keeping the performance in line.

Posted via CB10
    What hardware are you referring to? Nougat isn't seeing hardware 2 years and older,
    09-18-17 12:01 PM
    Sorry. I was meaning in the past. Older iPhones, older Android devices. They are quick when new, but eventually hit an update that slows it right down. Almost like it's intentional to make you want to upgrade the device.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-17 12:07 PM
    Sorry. I was meaning in the past. Older iPhones, older Android devices. They are quick when new, but eventually hit an update that slows it right down. Almost like it's intentional to make you want to upgrade the device.

Posted via CB10
    It is intentional, what capital would a company make by giving everyone of it's devices the os upgrade? It would illeviate the need to buy a new phone.
    But also to be honest they don't do it in secret. They make it very obvious that a device unless a flagship will only get support for two years, it's in the disclaimer when you activate your device.
    09-18-17 12:13 PM
    Excuse if I am offtopic, I need an advice : is Priv worth 300 euros (new with warantty) these days in 2017?

Posted via CB10
    09-18-17 12:37 PM
    Excuse if I am offtopic, I need an advice : is Priv worth 300 euros (new with warantty) these days in 2017?

Posted via CB10
    Paid 150$usd for mine on ebay
    09-18-17 12:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'd say no. Mine was 280€ in Amazon almost 3 months ago, when upgrade to Nougat was a possibility.
    09-18-17 02:16 PM
    Not news really. Atodaso. Why would they direct resources to something that has a small user base and does not bring any profit, especially that the Priv is end of sales.
    Samsung did with the S6. How many people still rocking S6's?

Posted via CB10
    09-19-17 12:46 PM
    We were expecting blackberry or who ever is now looking after the priv to be above other producers, however blackberry is no longer a legend, or market leading, it is merely a memory of a once different company.

And the keyone is not market leading, it is a image of the past, in the modern world you need a screen real estate versus a keyboard and screen.

The priv was that combination, that gave us the screen with the hidden keyboard, the party piece, the nougat that allowed us to chat up the women, with a look of shock when you flicked it up in front of them....

But anyway whatever we say BlackBerry is now a common low end producer, that will allow none updates at two years.

Sorry not doing that again, been here to many times.
    What you said

Posted via CB10
    09-19-17 12:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    More people than ever bought a Blackberry Android, or bb10 device combined.
    09-19-17 01:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    I would argue that Samsung S6 users might buy another Samsung, so Samsung has an incentive to serve them and could justify the cost. Also, I doubt if Samsung has much custom software for the S6 that isn't also used on other devices they were committed to upgrade.

The problem for BlackBerry is that 1) the Priv and DTEK phones were the ONLY phones they released, so the costs can't be distributed across other devices, 2) they obviously can't sell any more phones ton those customers, so there's no chance to justify expenditures with an estimate of future revenue, and 3) because they used any of custom design featured in the Priv, they might simply be unable to update drivers for some components without the manufacturer's support, and the manufacturers also can't look to future revenue from BlackBerry as an incentive to do their part.

These days, it takes a lot of partners working together to put out an Android phone, and BlackBerry doesn't have any leverage in the device business to convince partners to accommodate them.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-19-17 01:12 PM
    I would argue that Samsung S6 users might buy another Samsung, so Samsung has an incentive to serve them and could justify the cost. Also, I doubt if Samsung has much custom software for the S6 that isn't also used on other devices they were committed to upgrade.

The problem for BlackBerry is that 1) the Priv and DTEK phones were the ONLY phones they released, so the costs can't be distributed across other devices, 2) they obviously can't sell any more phones ton those customers, so there's no chance to justify expenditures with an estimate of future revenue, and 3) because they used any of custom design featured in the Priv, they might simply be unable to update drivers for some components without the manufacturer's support, and the manufacturers also can't look to future revenue from BlackBerry as an incentive to do their part.

These days, it takes a lot of partners working together to put out an Android phone, and BlackBerry doesn't have any leverage in the device business to convince partners to accommodate them.

But you have BB's almost vanilla Android with hardened kernel vs heavily modified Android on Samsung's phones.
    Moreover on Samsung's devices some features are only available on some models. And the launcher's version or whatever they call it is different between devices usually.
    Samsung is really a mess talking about Android. It's fragmentation inside fragmentation.
    09-19-17 01:37 PM
    But you have BB's almost vanilla Android with hardened kernel vs heavily modified Android on Samsung's phones.
    Moreover on Samsung's devices some features are only available on some models. And the launcher's version or whatever they call it is different between devices usually.
    Samsung is really a mess talking about Android. It's fragmentation inside fragmentation.
    Right, but if there's a single driver for the Priv's custom PKB or camera or any other component that the manufacturer refuses to update for free, then none of that matters. The issue isn't how much work is involved. It's that the companies involved don't have a business justification for ANY resources to do it.

09-19-17 01:48 PM
    Considering 1/3 of Android devices still run Marshmallow and another 52% run a version of Android older than Marshmallow, I don't think this is as big a deal as some are making it out to be.

https://developer.android.com/about/...rds/index.html

The Priv will still function into 2018 and beyond, even after the security patches stop. No, it won't have the latest and greatest features of Nougat or Oreo, but it will still do what it was designed to do.
    skstrials likes this.
    09-19-17 04:57 PM
    You wrote various ramblings to gild the pill dude...
    09-20-17 10:43 AM
    You wrote various ramblings to gild the pill dude...
    If it's a big deal for you then don't use a Priv.
    09-20-17 10:46 AM
    Nah the Priv will always own a special place in my heart, but for sure I will not buy another phone from this crippled brand.
    09-20-17 10:54 AM
    Nah the Priv will always own a special place in my heart, but for sure I will not buy another phone from this crippled brand.
    Neither will anyone else bro, blackberry PRIV was the LAST original BLACKBERRY
    09-22-17 03:53 AM
    Hi
    Im no tech nerd... Just like good reliable phones with a decent amount of security.
    I've had BB's for years for thoes reasons.
    I do not play games or join nosey chat, snap, twit things (nosey women apps) my phone is a tool for work and personal life , I got a BB Priv and found it met all my requierments no issues! I work in an enviroment where security of service users details is an esential part of my job and the PRIV's timly updates and security are a god send.
    I recently went back to a BB Clasic for the simple reason that it feels good and works as I want it...as my main personal, carry everwhere phone I can't fault it and Im loving it .

Note I always get comments about both phones along the lines of "that looks cool", "I used to have a BB...Wish I still had" etc

i will be sticking to both for a while yet me thinks.

G
    10-15-17 04:01 AM
297 ... 101112