Will BB release any version of android 7 for the Dtek 5.0 ?
    09-16-17 10:01 AM
    09-16-17 10:11 AM
    buy an idol4 if you like that device, it's on the list to get nougat or just root the darn thing
    big_time2 likes this.
    09-16-17 12:57 PM
    It actually hasn't been announced whether it will or not. The DTEKs are in limbo. Priv announced its a no. K1 announced its getting Oreo. But no official word on the DTEKs. If I was a betting man I would bet on no. I personally believe the DTEKs got screwed during transition. BlackBerry released Priv and it got 1 upgrade from 5 to 6. DTEKs were first devices built by someone else but only ones built by Alcatel. But since moved to TCL/ bbmobile. K1 is first TCL/bbmobile device and their flagship baby. They may have taken ownership of the DTEKS... but they don't really care. That being said it is BlackBerry that makes the OS so it's possible. The DTEKs "should" get Nougat since they launched with MM and are due one major upgrade.... If whoever is making it honours the norm in the Android world.... So in short.... Maybe... but doubtful.
    I think I got my facts straight but it's possible I'm off by something.
    Also.... I'm 99.99999% sure you can't root a BlackBerry.
    big_time2 likes this.
    09-16-17 06:20 PM
    It actually hasn't been announced whether it will or not. The DTEKs are in limbo. Priv announced its a no. K1 announced its getting Oreo. But no official word on the DTEKs. If I was a betting man I would bet on no. I personally believe the DTEKs got screwed during transition. BlackBerry released Priv and it got 1 upgrade from 5 to 6. DTEKs were first devices built by someone else but only ones built by Alcatel. But since moved to TCL/ bbmobile. K1 is first TCL/bbmobile device and their flagship baby. They may have taken ownership of the DTEKS... but they don't really care. That being said it is BlackBerry that makes the OS so it's possible. The DTEKs "should" get Nougat since they launched with MM and are due one major upgrade.... If whoever is making it honours the norm in the Android world.... So in short.... Maybe... but doubtful.
    I think I got my facts straight but it's possible I'm off by something.
    Also.... I'm 99.99999% sure you can't root a BlackBerry.
    No you can't root a blackberry, I was talking about the idol4 the dteks doppelganger
    dpw09 likes this.
    09-16-17 10:27 PM
    One would have taught that yes the DTEK would be upgraded... even if it's not worth it due to the small number of active devices. It would have benefited the "brand" greatly.

TCL recently agreed to take on support for the DTEKs... what that means, no one is really willing to say. If TCL were planning to upgrade the devices, don't see any benefit to keeping it a secret at this point - it's been over a month. They are either taking a very long time to deiced (determining what it would cost), or it's a no and they just aren't willing to say it's a no.
    sethr likes this.
    09-18-17 07:49 AM
    tcl has the idol 4 on it's list of devices getting nougat, so maybe the idol4 s clone will too
    09-18-17 12:04 PM
    Actually I don't know if it's going to be a good thing for the dtek50 to have Android 7.x.

Maybe the hardware isn't that up to date to handle that. Or maybe BlackBerry Dtek security is embedded in the system so an entire change over might take a long time or never happen.

Sent from my STH100-2 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-19-17 08:44 AM
    the idol 4 is in this list for NOUGAT?????
    09-21-17 10:44 AM
    Hahah no!

As much as I'd want this to happen, I highly doubt it will. If you want a phone running Nougat or Oreo, you're better off buying a new phone.
    09-22-17 01:05 PM
    Hahah no!

As much as I'd want this to happen, I highly doubt it will. If you want a phone running Nougat or Oreo, you're better off buying a new phone.
    Pretty much, maybe blackberry or should I say TCL should schedule it's device releases around the same time Android drops a new os this way you are guaranteed your two major upgrades and not whenever the hell they feel like it after paying 550$ for a device that sees 1 1/4 os upgrades
    big_time2 likes this.
    09-22-17 02:38 PM
    Torrents of electrons have anguished over the possibilities of a DTEK50 Nougat release.

From what I've read of Nougat the performance gains over Marshmallow are marginal and, to my understanding, can largely be attained by configuring Marshmallow accordingly (curtailing data mining and sync'ing, turning off dormant radios like wifi and bluetooth, using third party apps, enabling developer mode, etc).

There are some appealing UI enhancements but beyond that, what's so vital about a Nougat upgrade that prompts such raucous threads? I mean the OS upgrade won't suddenly transform your unassuming, prosaic device into a Galaxy S8.

Rail if you will at corporate duplicity and the betrayal of obligations and expectations; I'm having difficulty understanding how Nougat's minimal benefits would elicit such an expenditure of speculation.

I'd be satisfied just to receive my monthly security updates on schedule. ;-)
    Last edited by linguinee; 09-23-17 at 09:42 AM.
    09-23-17 09:19 AM
    I came from a 50 and now on my 3rd week with a KEYᵒⁿᵉ and I honestly don't see the big fuss over Nougat. If not for the need for a physical keyboard, I would not have switched. I think the 50 is already great for what it is intended to be used for, and Marshmallow serves it well as it is. I think more demanding phone needs should not even consider a vkb DTEK BB in the first place... but that's just me. 🙂
    09-24-17 08:26 AM
    The DTEK50 should unquestionably get Nougat and even Oreo. The G4 Plus I turned back into Best Buy to order one of our two DTEK50's is getting Oreo. This should be a forgone conclusion for BlackBerry now as a software company. Especially if they want to stand out in the Android space.
    09-25-17 11:50 PM
    FWIW, my son bought a Moto G4, at the same time I bought the Dtek50, and, he paid less than I did for the G4.
    Both phones had 'M' as supplied... now his G4, has been upgraded to 'N' recently, and so he now benefits from the upgraded '2 years of updates' for his OS.
    Mt Dtek50, still on 'M' and so will stop getting updates when Google's 2 year cycle ends, meaning his 'cheaper' phone will be 'secure' longer than my 'securest android' will, for 2/3 the price!!
    BB/TCL's attitude of 'legacy' and 'not our device' means no OS upgrade for Dtek's whilst almost EVERY other company gives at least 1 (BB/TCL expect you to buy another of their 'one OS wonders!!)
    big_time2 likes this.
    10-16-17 02:00 PM