One month ago I bought an iphone 7 rose gold variant for my fiancée. Previously she was an android user. The first two problems she faced with this phone was 1. No file manager. She can't view all the voice notes audios sent from other users to her over whatsapp. That's really pathetic. 2. No native music player which can play songs directly from phone memory.
    My Q10 can perform this basic task very easily. I'm very happy.

Posted from my beloved  Q10  which is as awesome as my gf..
    rayporsche likes this.
    09-17-17 01:54 AM
    One month ago I bought an iphone 7 rose gold variant for my fiancée. Previously she was an android user. The first two problems she faced with this phone was 1. No file manager. She can't view all the voice notes audios sent from other users to her over whatsapp. That's really pathetic. 2. No native music player which can play songs directly from phone memory.

The reason there's no file manager in ios is because part of the reason is that iOS enforces sandboxing. Apps are only supposed to read and write files in their own sandbox. A filemanager app would completely violate this paradigm. I suspect that such an app would not be accepted in the App store.

That said, there is a manager for jail-broken devices that works more or less like the file manager in macOS. Of course that app is completely unsanctioned by Apple.

Generally speaking, apps in iOS are responsible for managing their own files.
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-17-17 07:55 AM
    I had a iPhone for one year (no choice was forced by my company) worst phone ever made and horrible OS. Bb10 is the best os ever made period so much so the new iPhone is copying it.

Posted via CB10
    rayporsche and nglfmark like this.
    09-17-17 08:10 AM

I use a leap right now but I'm considering getting a q10 as a back up I've never owned one

Posted via CB10
    09-17-17 08:10 AM
    The reason there's no file manager in ios is because part of the reason is that iOS enforces sandboxing. Apps are only supposed to read and write files in their own sandbox. A filemanager app would completely violate this paradigm. I suspect that such an app would not be accepted in the App store.
    Yes, but I'm not sure what the thought process was behind that. We ran into the same problem, had some recorded voice notes and now needed it to be edited and sent off. It was so maddening we just did it on my Q10 instead.
    If iPhone is supposed to be "the one" device you carry, this is a huge limitation. Imagine the number of times you had to work with one file within multiple applications on your laptop. Say you acquired a picture, then maybe you need to edit a bit and include it in a presentation before emailing it off....not exactly an odd task.

I can't count the number of times I said "Oh, you can't do that on your iPhone? " :-)
    nickvango likes this.
    09-17-17 11:34 AM
    Yes, but I'm not sure what the thought process was behind that. We ran into the same problem, had some recorded voice notes and now needed it to be edited and sent off. It was so maddening we just did it on my Q10 instead.
    If iPhone is supposed to be "the one" device you carry, this is a huge limitation. Imagine the number of times you had to work with one file within multiple applications on your laptop. Say you acquired a picture, then maybe you need to edit a bit and include it in a presentation before emailing it off....not exactly an odd task.

I can't count the number of times I said "Oh, you can't do that on your iPhone? " :-)
    I agree, I'm not an apple/crapple fan either
    09-17-17 11:41 AM

We all are on same boat bro. Now my gf is waiting for ios 11 update. She told me even lowend android phone is far better than over priced iphone. It's a kind of shame. Just imagine how can she find an important voice note which she received 1month ago from an user. Even in whatsapp apps she have to search for any important notes, it's a shame.

09-17-17 12:34 PM

You can do that on iOS10. I think even iOS8.

The process is that the app that owns the data has to share its data, not the other way around. A typical file manager is able to see every apps' files, which goes against the security framework in iOS. If my app stores data on a users phone, we have a guarantee that data is encrypted such that other apps CANNOT read it. That is as of iPhone 5S. Large banks were among the developers who insisted on this when hardware security became available. If we store a users recent transactions on the phone for convenience we don't want a file manager or any other app to be able to see that. Our sandbox with hardware encryption ensures they can't.

So apple instead allows developers and users to share data from the app that actually owns it. That's how apps like Box work on iOS. The new file manager in iOS11 builds on that by allowing easier browsing of data that the apps have specifically agreed to share.
    09-17-17 12:55 PM
    You can do that on iOS10. I think even iOS8.

The process is that the app that owns the data has to share its data, not the other way around. A typical file manager is able to see every apps' files, which goes against the security framework in iOS. If my app stores data on a users phone, we have a guarantee that data is encrypted such that other apps CANNOT read it. That is as of iPhone 5S. Large banks were among the developers who insisted on this when hardware security became available. If we store a users recent transactions on the phone for convenience we don't want a file manager or any other app to be able to see that. Our sandbox with hardware encryption ensures they can't.

So apple instead allows developers and users to share data from the app that actually owns it. That's how apps like Box work on iOS. The new file manager in iOS11 builds on that by allowing easier browsing of data that the apps have specifically agreed to share.
    Pathetic scenario for those who wants to do simple task in a simple way.. lol

rayporsche likes this.
    09-17-17 01:00 PM
    Pathetic scenario for those who wants to do simple task in a simple way.. lol

It's really not hard to use at all. If I'm looking at a picture in my email or iMessage or FB (or whatever), I tap on share and I see the apps that I want to edit the picture in.

Relatively straightforward without giving a 3rd party app free access to browse all of my photos. Instead I choose the ones I really want to share.

If BlackBerry had invented this approach, everyone here would be boasting about how secure that is and how it improves user privacy. Because it really does improve privacy.
    09-17-17 01:09 PM
    It's really not hard to use at all. If I'm looking at a picture in my email or iMessage or FB (or whatever), I tap on share and I see the apps that I want to edit the picture in.

Relatively straightforward without giving a 3rd party app free access to browse all of my photos. Instead I choose the ones I really want to share.

If BlackBerry had invented this approach, everyone here would be boasting about how secure that is and how it improves user privacy. Because it really does improve privacy.
    Tell me how can you find your important voice notes perticularly audio which you received from an user 5 month ago through whatsapp chatting. If you want to share that voice note to some one how can you do that?

09-17-17 01:12 PM
    Tell me how can you find your important voice notes perticularly audio which you received from an user 5 month ago through whatsapp chatting. If you want to share that voice note to some one how can you do that?

I don't use WA, but in Slack for example I would search for the attachment in slack and then 3D press to share it. Same in office or gmail.
    09-17-17 01:17 PM
    I don't use WA, but in Slack for example I would search for the attachment in slack and then 3D press to share it. Same in office or gmail.
    That's the point you have to search for that particular file. And if you received that file long time ago then that searching would be pathetic. It can be easily done with the help of file manager. I think you get my point

09-17-17 01:20 PM
    That's the point you have to search for that particular file. And if you received that file long time ago then that searching would be pathetic. It can be easily done with the help of file manager. I think you get my point

You still have to find it in the file manager, right? So you're giving all the permissions for every file in every app to a file manager just so you can search there?
    09-17-17 01:22 PM
    You still have to find it in the file manager, right? So you're giving all the permissions for every file in every app to a file manager just so you can search there?
    But it's more specific. You can only search for that voice note in a voice note folder. It's super easy

09-17-17 01:24 PM
    But it's more specific. You can only search for that voice note in a voice note folder. It's super easy

Who organized all of of your voice notes in their own folder?

It's no harder to do it in the app. And actually I just searched for an attachment using the iOS global search and that works also. But it works in a much more secure way where every app opts into the search facility in a way that doesn't break the encryption.

Again, I am quite certain that if BlackBerry had thought of this they would call it an important privacy feature. In banking, we consider it extremely important and it's a feature we love on iOS. It's a shame BB didn't think of it, since it really fits their privacy brand position.
    09-17-17 01:31 PM

I recieve a lot of voice notes. I use an android. I delete the voice notes that dont need to remain and i leave the ones i need and i archive the chat.

I did the same when i had my iPhone SE. If i ever had a need to edit a voice note or share it, it's really easy to narrow down to an archived chat and make use of the voice note.

I think i would find it hard to access every months folder within whatsapp voice notes to reach a specific voice note i need down the line.
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    09-18-17 08:19 AM
    Apple ties you down to the scourge that is iTunes.
    Other platforms do not.

/endargument
    09-18-17 12:57 PM
    Other platforms do not.

/endargument
    09-18-17 12:58 PM
    Other platforms do not.

/endargument
    I don't use Apple devices... but I loaded some old (ok very old) Napster MP3s on my wife's iPhone with no problem. My daughter use a few different streaming services for her music. Not sure what tied down to iTunes really means. Do sorta remember a time it might have taken a PC or Mac with iTunes to activate an iPhone.... but those days are gone.

I do know that many "like" the idea of buying something and it being there whenever they want it. Unlike the purchases many of us made from BlackBerry's music and video stores, or other defunct sources.
    09-18-17 02:18 PM
    Even though this thread is revolved around file manager applications, I must say that the fact that the BlackBerry Q10 packs a removable battery, physical keyboard and a headphone jack, makes it so nice to use. Oh and a microSD card slot!
    olygopoly likes this.
    09-18-17 05:34 PM
    Well, to be fair, there are many things an iPhone does better than my beloved Q's and 9983's. Each must decide upon the tools best suited.

For me, as LuxuryTouringZone noted, there are many other things that make the Q a great phone. Also, we don't lose have the screen when the VKP pops up . ...
    09-18-17 10:00 PM

For a company that prides itself on ease of use, the approach was not intuitive at all, even for a long time iPhone user (since iPhone 1!) and also exclusively uses Mac laptops.

BB10 allows you to do stuff from the file manager or use the other approach of sharing directly from the app. (I don't see any BB10 fanbois making a big fuss of this same feature). Letting people have multiple methods is better I think.

As far as security is concerned, I'm not convinced. BlackBerry has worked a long time with banks and the like. I imagine they would know what these industries want in terms of security. On BlackBerry 10, you explicitly grant an application access to your files (or not), so I don't see the sense in further restricting access. Furthermore I don't see any desktop systems using this approach, even macOS. Are we claiming all those desktop systems are insecure? Do no banks use any desktop systems?
    09-18-17 10:11 PM
    For a company that prides itself on ease of use, the approach was not intuitive at all, even for a long time iPhone user (since iPhone 1!) and also exclusively uses Mac laptops.

BB10 allows you to do stuff from the file manager or use the other approach of sharing directly from the app. (I don't see any BB10 fanbois making a big fuss of this same feature). Letting people have multiple methods is better I think.

As far as security is concerned, I'm not convinced. BlackBerry has worked a long time with banks and the like. I imagine they would know what these industries want in terms of security. On BlackBerry 10, you explicitly grant an application access to your files (or not), so I don't see the sense in further restricting access. Furthermore I don't see any desktop systems using this approach, even macOS. Are we claiming all those desktop systems are insecure? Do no banks use any desktop systems?
    I haven't talked to BB about BB10 in years. Has any major international bank ever had an app for BB10?

And when have you ever seen a bank produce software to run on a user's desktop. We're talking about apps that run on phones that we don't manage. That's why you need such stringent controls that we don't have on desktop OSes.

And, btw, phones are quite a bit more secure than desktops. That's a good thing.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 09-18-17 at 11:48 PM.
    09-18-17 10:26 PM
    That was the past... BB10 was not picked up by many in the Banking World, no did the Banking World support it for their customers. A few did, mostly in Canada where it was more a matter of national pride than a matter of security.
    olygopoly likes this.
    09-19-17 07:56 AM
107 123 ...