In a TechCrunch article this afternoon titled "So, when will your device actually get Android Oreo?" Brian Heater reported the following,

BlackBerry: A spokesperson for TCL/BlackBerry told us, “I can confirm that BlackBerry KEYone will get the upgrade.” No date listed.
    pooyam and Markiee77 like this.
    08-21-17 06:11 PM
    Sure it will.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    08-21-17 06:20 PM
    Well, assuming the reporter didn't make it up, it means that he contacted BlackBerry Mobile for a statement specifically for an article about when O was coming to the KEYone.

That means the spokesperson was given notice about the article and would have had a chance to get guidance from an authorized executive about what to say to the press.

The quote is very clear. The spokesperson could have said something generic about "working on O" without mentioning the KEYone.

Or, BlackBerry/TCL could have simply ignored the request and have been left out of the article.

I am a skeptic, but at a minimum, it's cause for optimism, since there is absolutely no reason for someone in the corporate communications department of either company to risk their job making up something so specific and definitive without authorization.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-21-17 06:57 PM
    Well, assuming the reporter didn't make it up, it means that he contacted BlackBerry Mobile for a statement specifically for an article about when O was coming to the KEYone.
    Not made up, we got the same statement.
    08-21-17 07:38 PM
    probably right around popcorn's release date
    skinnymike1 and bjones7134 like this.
    08-21-17 07:54 PM
    Hard to be optimistic about this. I'm still sitting on build AAL093 and April 5 security patch!
    08-21-17 08:59 PM
    It'd be nice if the rest of the Droidberries were updated to Nougat.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    08-21-17 09:02 PM
    Sure it will.
    I would trust this info from them as far as I can throw the man who wrote it.
    08-21-17 09:31 PM
    This is great news! And now all we can do is wait...
    08-21-17 10:25 PM
    Spotted oreo on keyone
    08-21-17 10:43 PM
    Are you also the one show showed Marshmallow on some device? (g)
    Uzi likes this.
    08-21-17 11:55 PM
    Exclusive: Nougat on DTEK60:
    Uzi, gizmo21, pizzawheel and 9 others like this.
    08-22-17 12:10 AM
    In a TechCrunch article this afternoon titled "So, when will your device actually get Android Oreo?" Brian Heater reported the following,
    Tomorrow, tomorrow the updates tomorrow it's only one lie away........repeat
    08-22-17 08:25 AM
    I hear the software can be very creamy.....any truth to that?
    Uzi and skinnymike1 like this.
    08-22-17 08:25 AM
    Tomorrow, tomorrow the updates tomorrow it's only one lie away........repeat
    If the past is a guide, the update to O for the KEYone will absolutely happen, now that it's been officially promises, but it will come about six months after O is released by Google. That's how long BlackBerry has taken to prepare previous Android versions for release on their devices.

I know that people on these forums will complain endlessly, and compare BlackBerry to Samsung, LG, etc., but, at a certain point one needs to accept reality and move on. BlackBerry does not prioritize releasing new version of Android as quickly as other companies. Like most corporate IT teams, they'd rather take their time than be an early adopter.

08-22-17 09:49 AM
    I just came from the future and the KEYones there were running Android Peanut Butter.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    08-22-17 10:21 AM
    If the past is a guide, the update to O for the KEYone will absolutely happen, now that it's been officially promises, but it will come about six months after O is released by Google. That's how long BlackBerry has taken to prepare previous Android versions for release on their devices.

I know that people on these forums will complain endlessly, and compare BlackBerry to Samsung, LG, etc., but, at a certain point one needs to accept reality and move on. BlackBerry does not prioritize releasing new version of Android as quickly as other companies. Like most corporate IT teams, they'd rather take their time than be an early adopter.

Well thats one take...............................but if they (BlackBerry) do what they always do, than nothing will happen. You do remember OS 10 the future, we stand behind our phones. Customer service is our priority................and on and on. TCL may build the phone but BlackBerry pushes out the updates........................soooooooooooo here we go again...................................

I hope you are right, but hope is not a plan.
    08-22-17 10:26 AM
    I really wanna know if you just had some nouget just hanging around the house.
    James Nieves likes this.
    08-22-17 10:40 AM
    I really wanna know if you just had some nouget just hanging around the house.
    Actually, yes.
    08-22-17 10:42 AM
    This is good news and I am cautiously optimistic.
    08-22-17 10:52 AM
    Is that before or after cream puff?
    08-22-17 10:55 AM
    Well thats one take...............................but if they (BlackBerry) do what they always do, than nothing will happen. You do remember OS 10 the future, we stand behind our phones. Customer service is our priority................and on and on. TCL may build the phone but BlackBerry pushes out the updates........................soooooooooooo here we go again...................................

I hope you are right, but hope is not a plan.
    I don't have the same perception as you do. I make a clear separation between vague promotional statements (BB10 is the future) and policy statements.

My perspective is that they provided all the hardware support that they committed to in their hardware warranty and all the software support they committed to in their software licensing agreements with users. However, I respect that they disappointed users like you who expected more.

I can only think of two instances in the past 10 years where BlackBerry promised to deliver something WITHIN THEIR CONTROL that didn't happen (BB10 for PlayBook, after the PlayBook flopped, BB10 was delayed , and BB10 ended up too big to run efficiently on the PB; and BB10.3.4, which was basically delivered as 10.3.3, which had been delayed by many months).

I hear your cynicism, but, based on my experience, I don't share it.

08-22-17 11:14 AM
    I think it is more likely for the KEYone to get Oreo over the Priv getting Nougat.

The KEYone shipped with Nougat so 1 major upgrade would bring it to Oreo.

The Priv shipped with Lollipop so 1 major update would bring it to Marshmallow which is what it is on now.

All that being said, what happened with the Playbook and BB10 left a bad taste for me and makes me pessimistic of anything "promised" by a manufacturer.
    08-22-17 12:46 PM
    I think you mean "peppermint"
    08-22-17 01:00 PM
    I think you mean "peppermint"
    TCL/Blackberry Spokesman Reportedly Confirms Android O for KEYone-81kdpdqopil._sl1500_.jpg
    brookie229 likes this.
    08-22-17 01:08 PM
43 12