Ok, so I was trying to get a Blackberry Aurora but that's not working out so i'm getting a used Priv on Friday.

The owner says it has had very good battery life, no slowdown but has gotten hot from time to time. I wanted to lean on the collective wisdom of the Priv users on here as to how to have the best experience with the Priv as possible. What do i need to do to maintain good battery life, limit heating issues, what apps are great for the Priv and how do i keep the phone running snappy and over all have a good experience on the device?

P.S. I'm pretty much giving up on Nougat at this point so i'd love a suggestion on how to use Multi-screen on Marshmallow, wether via apps or otherwise. Thanks
    Xeak likes this.
    07-24-17 03:51 PM
    Disable adaptive display, don't go how wild on app installs and get used to charging overnight and once per day. It's a great device. Good luck and welcome!
    Lincoln Liking likes this.
    07-24-17 03:54 PM
    Disable adaptive display, don't go how wild on app installs and get used to charging overnight and once per day. It's a great device. Good luck and welcome!
    Thanks. That Good luck line made me
    jfalkingham likes this.
    07-24-17 04:09 PM
    Thanks. That Good luck line made me
    You'll enjoy it!
    07-24-17 04:24 PM
    I use the mobile Facebook web site (m.facebook.com) and have it as the default URL when I open Chrome.
    That keeps usage WAY down, both data and battery.

I turn off location services also.

I don't use mine often as a phone - calling eats up battery.
    I don't turn wifi on unless I want to do a bunch of updates - this also saves battery. Fortunately I have a good data plan.

I'm also very pleased with my PRIV. Came from a Classic and only miss it occasionally.
    07-24-17 04:46 PM
    I have a Priv brought new from BlackBerry six months after it was released. I do not have any social media apps or play games with my Priv. I use it as a productivity tool (Calls , email) and battery last all day. I do charge it every night and I clear my cache periodically to keep phone running fast.

it does get warm from time to time, not unbearable but multiple applications open can trigger the heat. I think it is the 808 processor..not much I can do about that.

I have the Dtek 60 too...despite better processor, bigger screen, better front facing camera...i still prefer the Priv.
    07-24-17 05:29 PM
    I have a Priv brought new from BlackBerry six months after it was released. I do not have any social media apps or play games with my Priv. I use it as a productivity tool (Calls , email) and battery last all day. I do charge it every night and I clear my cache periodically to keep phone running fast.

it does get warm from time to time, not unbearable but multiple applications open can trigger the heat. I think it is the 808 processor..not much I can do about that.

I have the Dtek 60 too...despite better processor, bigger screen, better front facing camera...i still prefer the Priv.
    Why do you love it so much?
    Last edited by Lincoln Liking; 07-24-17 at 06:26 PM.
    07-24-17 06:14 PM
    why do I like Priv? I( I do not love material products). The Priv is unique (like Keyone) different from all the slabs on the market. Having the option to use the physical keyboard or the virtual keyboard. Good looking device with curve screen...still looks relevant 2 years after release.
    07-24-17 06:37 PM
    Priv is a great device with an unfortunate processor. The first thing you should do is buy a quick charge enabled charger. I have the BlackBerry one and it's great. It is the saving grace of an otherwise poor battery life on the phone. I blame the display and the processor for that.
    My trick with the priv is to close as many open apps as possible. Not sure why but the phone gets considerably slower when the ram gets used up.
    Rico4you likes this.
    07-24-17 06:44 PM
    I've had mine for over a month now and like it. I've gotten used to keyboard. no heating problems at all but for updates, which is normal.
    Rico4you and Lincoln Liking like this.
    07-24-17 07:41 PM
    Clear your cache periodically. It helps keep the phone running smoothly. Settings>storage and usb>internal storage. Wait for calculations to be done. Tap cache. Select okay.
    07-25-17 06:47 AM
    I bought my unlocked Priv April 2017. It was flaming hot until after MM update. Now, the only time I notice it gets warm is when multi apps update in a row. So, I don't use auto update anymore and I only update few at a time. Like others, I don't do FB, Twitter, and etc on my phone. Very rarely will I listen to music or use YT. Mainly use for productivity. Battery life has been awesome even though I do tons of reading from various sources. I don't have to charge every night. I try to keep anything that I don't need, want, or use disabled shut off or removed. I clean out cache. I only turn on location when I actually need to use it. Here recently, I have been having annoying trouble with the contacts & photos app. Even though there is a (Huge) font setting, I wish it was a bigger size as it doesn't look any different to me than the (Large) font size. The screen size is great but due to my eye problems, the lack of even bigger font size options causes me to squint. With all that said, I'm still very happy with my purchase!

You're probably already aware of the "Trusted Factory Reset" when buying a used Priv, but in case not - remember to ask previous owner if one has been done or even better check it if possible before buying it. I've read about & heard about others not being able to set up/use a previously owned Priv that "Factory Reset Protection" was enabled and the "Trusted Factory Reset" was not done before resale.

Best wishes and enjoy.
    07-25-17 11:44 PM
    I bought my unlocked Priv April 2017. It was flaming hot until after MM update. Now, the only time I notice it gets warm is when multi apps update in a row. So, I don't use auto update anymore and I only update few at a time. Like others, I don't do FB, Twitter, and etc on my phone. Very rarely will I listen to music or use YT. Mainly use for productivity. Battery life has been awesome even though I do tons of reading from various sources. I don't have to charge every night. I try to keep anything that I don't need, want, or use disabled shut off or removed. I clean out cache. I only turn on location when I actually need to use it. Here recently, I have been having annoying trouble with the contacts & photos app. Even though there is a (Huge) font setting, I wish it was a bigger size as it doesn't look any different to me than the (Large) font size. The screen size is great but due to my eye problems, the lack of even bigger font size options causes me to squint. With all that said, I'm still very happy with my purchase!

You're probably already aware of the "Trusted Factory Reset" when buying a used Priv, but in case not - remember to ask previous owner if one has been done or even better check it if possible before buying it. I've read about & heard about others not being able to set up/use a previously owned Priv that "Factory Reset Protection" was enabled and the "Trusted Factory Reset" was not done before resale.

Best wishes and enjoy.
    Thanks. I'll keep a note of that "Trusted Factory Reset" issue.
    07-26-17 08:48 AM
    I think you will enjoy the Priv. I've had it for several months now and I like it very much. All users are different and place varying demands on their device. I've found that I can get through a whole day without needing to recharge. I'm usually between 50%-65% after the workday and around 35%-40% before I go to bed. I just plug it in at night.
    07-30-17 08:59 AM
    I have had a couple of Priv's and never had any major issues. I always charged mine at night and kept up with the latest updates.

The one thing I stress is if you can find a factory unlocked model versus a branded carrier or carrier unlocked one. Buy the factory unlocked model because the updates will come directly from Blackberry and not from the carrier.
    newcollector likes this.
    07-30-17 12:17 PM