Which is 2 licensees right now, one of which built the Dtek series for BlackBerry. Your argument is that BlackBerry has to give them support first, then support their other customers who bought the Priv and Dteks. Does the monthly security updates come from BlackBerry or tcl for the key1?
    BlackBerry has to meet its obligations under the contractual terms of its licencees' OS requirements - whatever those may be.

BlackBerry can do, or not do, anything it wishes for its own Priv and DTEKs, as they are under no obligation to anyone.
    06-25-17 06:42 PM
    BlackBerry does not just throw out an AOSP build once a month (like Google) for others to customise and deploy on their devices.

BlackBerry is preparing the entire package for its various licencees' devices. As such, the licencees would have insisted on a commitment from BlackBerry for a period of time to each device.

So ultimately it's up the the Licencee as to how long they choose to provide support. BlackBerry is simply an obligated vendor.
    Which is 2 licensees right now, one of which built the Dtek series for BlackBerry. Your argument is that BlackBerry has to give them support first, then support their other customers who bought the Priv and Dteks. Does the monthly security updates come from BlackBerry or tcl for the key1?
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-25-17 07:07 PM
    BlackBerry has to meet its obligations under the contractual terms of its licencees' OS requirements - whatever those may be.

BlackBerry can do, or not do, anything it wishes for its own Priv and DTEKs, as they are under no obligation to anyone.
    Except that if BlackBerry gets taken over in a buy out the new company can just cancel the contracts if they wish
    06-25-17 09:10 PM
    From a business stand point it would be foolish for a company to abandon a product so soon. They are trying to dig themselves out of a hole and to abandon the products is only going to cause them to lose returning customers on future products if they ever make it to that point.

The Dtek's and the Keyone are Blackberry products period, no argument of new blackberry old blackberry does not matter. TCL is only the manufacturer warranty claims, software updates come through Blackberry.

Here is one scenario to look at it as.
    For anyone who follows the auto industry you'll recall Volkswagon Routan minivan was manufactured by Chrysler on the same assembly line as the Dodge Caravan and looked almost completely identical to it. However it had the VW tweaks and logo. There was a license agreement between VW and Dodge/Chrysler to build so many vans. When production stopped did VW abandon all warranty claims, software updates, or safety recalls to customer who purchased them? Absolutely not, because it would hurt their brand image and any potential return customer or future customer.

So my point is if Blackberry indeed abandon's their product so soon then they deserve what's coming to them if they sink.

I had many Blackberry phone's in the past switched over to a Samsung Note 3 when launched because I was in the market for a new phone and at the time Blackberry was on the verge of tanking so I thought, and wanted to avoid being stuck with a paper weight. Everyone was moving to IOS or Android as most popular system so I purchased the Note 3.

When I seen the Dtek60 I purchased one right at launch because I thought hey they're back in the game and my Note was close to 4 years old so maybe I will switch back.

I like the phone (Dtek60) it works flawlessly for me even the battery life is sufficient despite complaints from posters. But if there are no further updates going forward I will move on when the time comes to another brand.
    xandros9, Uzi, Bay 13 and 1 others like this.
    06-25-17 09:43 PM
    Except that if BlackBerry gets taken over in a buy out the new company can just cancel the contracts if they wish
    That's not how it works. If you buy a company, you buy its legal obligations.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-25-17 09:44 PM
    From a business stand point it would be foolish for a company to abandon a product so soon. They are trying to dig themselves out of a hole and to abandon the products is only going to cause them to lose returning customers on future products if they ever make it to that point.

The Dtek's and the Keyone are Blackberry products period, no argument of new blackberry old blackberry does not matter. TCL is only the manufacturer warranty claims, software updates come through Blackberry.

Here is one scenario to look at it as.
    For anyone who follows the auto industry you'll recall Volkswagon Routan minivan was manufactured by Chrysler on the same assembly line as the Dodge Caravan and looked almost completely identical to it. However it had the VW tweaks and logo. There was a license agreement between VW and Dodge/Chrysler to build so many vans. When production stopped did VW abandon all warranty claims, software updates, or safety recalls to customer who purchased them? Absolutely not, because it would hurt their brand image and any potential return customer or future customer.

So my point is if Blackberry indeed abandon's their product so soon then they deserve what's coming to them if they sink.

I had many Blackberry phone's in the past switched over to a Samsung Note 3 when launched because I was in the market for a new phone and at the time Blackberry was on the verge of tanking so I thought, and wanted to avoid being stuck with a paper weight. Everyone was moving to IOS or Android as most popular system so I purchased the Note 3.

When I seen the Dtek60 I purchased one right at launch because I thought hey they're back in the game and my Note was close to 4 years old so maybe I will switch back.

I like the phone (Dtek60) it works flawlessly for me even the battery life is sufficient despite complaints from posters. But if there are no further updates going forward I will move on when the time comes to another brand.
    You would be correct except Blackberry left the phone business. The DTEK60 was their last phone.......
    06-26-17 03:50 AM
    You would be correct except Blackberry left the phone business. The DTEK60 was their last phone.......
    They left the phone manufacturing business. They still have and advertise their phones
    06-26-17 06:03 AM
    They left the phone manufacturing business. They still have and advertise their phones
    That's correct.
    The Dtek's and the Keyone are still Blackberry branded phones. They will affect Blackberry's image branding and earnings if customers are not satisfied.
    Bay 13 likes this.
    06-26-17 06:43 AM
    The Dtek was manufactured by TCL same as Keyone.
    06-26-17 06:43 AM
    The Dtek was manufactured by TCL same as Keyone.
    Irrelevant.
    06-26-17 06:53 AM
    BlackBerry never manufactured phones. Now they don't sell or support them either. They are now simply a software vendor to other companies.
    06-26-17 06:55 AM
    BlackBerry never manufactured phones. Now they don't sell or support them either. They are now simply a software vendor to other companies.
    Ok so who is the vendor for the Priv and dtek series?
    06-26-17 07:12 AM
    That's correct.
    The Dtek's and the Keyone are still Blackberry branded phones. They will affect Blackberry's image branding and earnings if customers are not satisfied.
    Don't know why that's so hard for seemingly smart folks to understand.
    06-26-17 07:17 AM
    That's correct.
    Except for the fact that links take you to retailers selling the discontinued phones. You're still entitled to warranty unless otherwise notified but obviously, BlackBerry doesn't care if you buy any of those phones anymore. Those retailers have long ago paid BlackBerry wholesale price for those units...

They are no longer in the phone business so they don't care about the brand image with phone customers. They've damaged their phone brand when they announced they were exiting phone business several months ago then said they would license their name out...

This is no different than when certain former popular clothing brands license their name to lower quality manufacturers and you find the clothes in discount retailers.

In other words, for mobile phone purposes, BlackBerry Limited feels the brand is at the end of life cycle, just like Brut cologne and other 80's and 90's brands. The brand COULD be rebuilt, but that will be left up to licensees at their own expense. Would not even be surprised if they return to RIM brand or some other new brand.
    06-26-17 07:20 AM
    Ok so who is the vendor for the Priv and dtek series?
    BlackBerry. But they are now sold out, and are de facto legacy products. They continue to receive patches and support by BlackBerry.
    06-26-17 07:30 AM
    Don't know why that's so hard for seemingly smart folks to understand.
    Everyone understands brand value. The debate is over the real world impact on said brand value with regards to Nougat on legacy devices.
    06-26-17 07:31 AM
    Everyone understands brand value. The debate is over the real world impact on said brand value with regards to Nougat on legacy devices.
    No... it's about trust... especially when security is involved... from a company that spews "... most secure..."

And BBRY are proving they can't be trusted.
    06-26-17 08:35 AM
    No... it's about trust... especially when security is involved... from a company that spews "... most secure..."

And BBRY are proving they can't be trusted.
    You just described an impact.
    06-26-17 09:14 AM
    You just described an impact.
    Right and the impact is no one is going to trust a company that touts the most secure android phone, when the don't provide updates, and drop support on a $500 phone 6 months after launch.

Your argument is that they don't manufacturer phones anymore but they're still advertising them on their website as the world's most secure phones. When a company drops a product line they don't continue to market it.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    06-26-17 09:34 AM
    Right and the impact is no one is going to trust a company that touts the most secure android phone, when the don't provide updates, and drop support on a $500 phone 6 months after launch.

Your argument is that they don't manufacturer phones anymore but they're still advertising them on their website as the world's most secure phones. When a company drops a product line they don't continue to market it.
    No support has been dropped.

Any brand issue is mainly the licencees problem now. BlackBerry proper only stands to lose a sniff of licencing revenue if the **** hits the fan.
    06-26-17 09:55 AM
    That's not how it works. If you buy a company, you buy its legal obligations.
    That's only true in a stock purchase. In an asset purchase contractual obligations could be left behind.
    06-26-17 12:28 PM
    It's simple to me, I won't support a company that doesn't support their customers. If there is a BlackBerry logo on the phone and is sold to customers as a BlackBerry, then it's a freakin Blackberry! Tired of hearing it's a TLC, blah blah blah from the defenders of all things BlackBerry.

Either do what you sold your customers on, or take your name off the phone and fade away!
    That is the smartest thing I've read in a while on this site. So sick of the TCL vs BlackBerry mobile vs BlackBerry BS. It's a BlackBerry. Blackberry owns this as its their name and their brand.
    06-26-17 01:42 PM
    That is the smartest thing I've read in a while on this site. So sick of the TCL vs BlackBerry mobile vs BlackBerry BS. It's a BlackBerry. Blackberry owns this as its their name and their brand.
    When you buy a Dell computer who do you talk to when you have a problem? Microsoft?

I get it that the names are more similar in this case, but it doesn't change the structure.
    06-26-17 02:07 PM
    When you buy a Dell computer who do you talk to when you have a problem? Microsoft?

I get it that the names are more similar in this case, but it doesn't change the structure.
    Both of them.

The problem here is that no one, BB Mobile, TCL, nor BlackBerry, want to address this issue. Even CrackBerry won't address it.

The point is, if Dell makes a PC with a crappy OS, Dell's brand takes a hit even if it is Microsoft's fault. Microsoft can't sell their software if manufacturers will not put the OS on their devices. Hence, it is in all parties' best interest to deal with their customers promptly and honestly. And not over promise and under deliver.

Same is true in this relationship. BlackBerry, at the end of the day is the one who loses out here. TCL will not license BB name and software if BB doesn't hold up their end of the deal. And DTEK users will not buy BB Mobile devices if they get shafted by BlackBerry.
    crackberry_geek and xandros9 like this.
    06-26-17 02:28 PM
    And DTEK users will not buy BB Mobile devices if they get shafted by BlackBerry.
    This is the only part of all this that may matter.

After doing the math, obviously both BlackBerry and TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) don't believe it does, as either or both would insist on updating the DTEKs to Nougat.
    Last edited by conite; 06-26-17 at 02:53 PM.
    06-26-17 02:40 PM
934 ... 34567 ...