Anyone know if the Amazon Kindle sideload is still functioning for Playbook? I'm running the 1917 OS update and about to get into it this week. I've done sideloads before on my Q10 so have some background. And I have found the process described here. Though notice most of the posts are 2012 and 2013. Anyone more current on two specific questions as I dive in?

1. does the sideload app still work for reading? In other words, can I get to my account and access the books there, downloading to my device like my basic Kindle ereader...and it will work? (for books only, I know videos won't work on PB)..

2. what is the latest .bar file folks recommend I use?.

Thanks in advance.

PS...yes, I know I could buy a Kindle Fire or a Tab or a Nexus or a iPad. I have a basic Kindle ereader that works just fine. But I'm enjoying using my new (slightly used) Playbook and happy to be free of Android world. I know the PB's limitations...but liking being in this BB and OS. Admit a PB Version 2 would be desirable. Just wondering if this Kindle issue is going to be a limitation or something workable now in June 2014.
    06-09-14 03:18 PM
    That works but you need to find the version of the Kindle bar that works with PlayBook. For sure not the latest one. If you look for it you will find it.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 03:25 PM
    Yes there is an OLD Kindle version that works... sorry I don't remember which it is. You can search for it. Seems like it was 3.1.0.25 was the most stable. Ot does crash from time to time, and I can't comment on the differences between the newer updates. I know on my wife's iPad she can view the content that you "email" to yourself, which you can't do on the app on the PlayBook.

This is one area that show that BlackBerry just built a device - they had no understanding of what anyone should do with that device. An eReader is a basic function of a tablet. There should have been a BBReader built into the PlayBook that could natively open any epub or mobi file that was selected. And allowed for "study" functions - Highlights, Notes (in other words worked just like iBook.
    06-09-14 03:34 PM
    the version 3 works with books in your kindle account but not so well if you fill the kindle folder with a load of books.

for that you need book reader of similar.
    06-09-14 05:14 PM
    This is one area that show that BlackBerry just built a device - they had no understanding of what anyone should do with that device. An eReader is a basic function of a tablet. There should have been a BBReader built into the PlayBook that could natively open any epub or mobi file that was selected. And allowed for "study" functions - Highlights, Notes (in other words worked just like iBook.
    Name one tablet besides Amazon's own Fire, that comes with a Kindle (mobi) format ereader.
    06-09-14 05:42 PM
    3.2.0.35 is the one I have. I'm happy to email over the bar if you want it, just PM me.
    06-09-14 05:47 PM
    Yes Ihave an older version it works fine.
    06-12-14 12:09 PM
    Mine works fine- shows vesion 1.0.370.0 on the google playbook app manager.
    06-12-14 02:53 PM
    Kind

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 05:59 PM
    3.2.0.35 is the one I have. I'm happy to email over the bar if you want it, just PM me.
    this version runs fine on the pb:thumbup:
    07-06-14 03:23 AM
    anyone know how to stop kindle asking to register. a real pain when trying to use off line.
    10-08-14 01:41 AM
    anyone know how to stop kindle asking to register. a real pain when trying to use off line.
    Do you mean that every time you open it, it asks you to register?

If so, I had that problem too, it's definitely a pain. I don't know if it's the only solution (and I don't know which specific bit fixed it) but I went to my Amazon account, deleted off the Kindle devices that were listed, uninstalled the Kindle app, and then side loaded it again. One or other elements of that sorted it.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    10-14-14 02:40 PM
    There is an app on Blackberry World called Ebook Reader for EPUB and Kindle for $0.99 Can , it is a dirct app and worth every penny....
    06-24-17 01:42 AM