https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/375194...-you-with-ads/

SAMSUNG phones use technology which can spy on what you’re reading and watching online – and monitor emails in your inbox.

The phones switch onto spy mode after they are alerted by a “beacon” often embedded in web pages or sent as an ultrasonic signal hidden in telly or online adverts.

Samsung have been using beacons or pixels to track your phone use for some time – and YOU agreed to it
    After learning of the Sun Online investigation, Jim Killock, Executive Director of Open Rights Group warned that “Samsung want to get to know you – but they are behaving like a peeping Tom”.

He added: “Samsung have taken spying on their customers to a whole new level.

“What you can’t see, and can’t hear, won’t worry you — or so it hopes.
    06-08-17 11:21 AM
    Copy/paste of articles and links is not allowed - this thread is going in the dumpster if there's nothing​ added to the OP for topic of discussion.
    06-08-17 11:55 AM
    That is why we use BlackBerry and Dtec.
    stavwoz likes this.
    06-08-17 04:24 PM
    That is why we use BlackBerry and Dtec.
    Spying that's actually what Android was made for.
    Android is based on that to generate money for Google.
    Google ain't giving that OS "for free" to phone maker - their users pay for it by giving them all their personal data....

So, actually there is no difference between using a spying Samsung or a BlackBerry running Android.

Posted via CB10
    rt2567 likes this.
    06-19-17 05:30 PM
    Spying that's actually what Android was made for.
    Android is based on that to generate money for Google.
    Google ain't giving that OS "for free" to phone maker - their users pay for it by giving them all their personal data....

So, actually there is no difference between using a spying Samsung or a BlackBerry running Android.

Posted via CB10
    Misinformation. Google provides Android absolutely free. You can download it yourself and tailor it anyway you like and load it on a rooted device or design one from scratch.

However, if you want the Google Play Store and Services, it's required you use Google's version of Android. It's not required to actually use Google's software if you do, they can all be disabled and there's other apps to use in their place. Carriers add their own offerings in this way, so users have a choice.

The problem being pointed out here, since the OP failed to do so, is that Samsung is taking advantage of the situation by adding​ their own tracking of users and not not giving a way for users to opt out, in addition to not making it obvious as Google does.
    06-19-17 06:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    Of course that's not true.

When fully enabled, Google uses my data to provide me with targeted ads and to provide me with better services. Data is protected from third parties by a strict security environment within Google, and some of the best firewalls in the world.

If you are not satisfied with the quid pro quo of Google's "free" offerings, then use G Suite, disable or don't use other Google apps, and lock down all of the privacy settings at privacy.google.com.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    06-19-17 06:46 PM
    Of course that's not true.

When fully enabled, Google uses my data to provide me with targeted ads and to provide me with better services. Data is protected from third parties by a strict security environment within Google, and some of the best firewalls in the world.

If you are not satisfied with the quid pro quo of Google's "free" offerings, then use G Suite, disable or don't use other Google apps, and lock down all of the privacy settings at privacy.google.com.
    You really believe that those settings stop tracking?

I didn't say that Google offers insecure solutions, what I'm talking about is privacy - different page.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-17 09:16 AM

I didn't say that Google offers insecure solutions, what I'm talking about is privacy - different page.

Posted via CB10
    If you don't use any of the apps, and lock down all of the privacy settings, then yes.

But I find the fear of Google rather odd. No employee or third party has access to the information they obtain from its users. The targeted ad engine exists inside a secure blackbox. The only other way this information can be accessed is through legal means - and even then, it is limited in its scope and handled by highly vetted Google personnel.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    06-20-17 09:40 AM

Posted via CB10
    It's astonishingly easy to test, it's in the way they give you ads. Make at least two accounts, use one with Google services enabled and the other(s) without​. The difference in advertising looks like two different people entirely.
    06-20-17 02:23 PM