Apple doesn't have to mine. Also they would have a lot more to lose if someone find out they mine iMessage then not doing it.

At some point, you need to trust someone... unless you build your own messaging app, there is no way to be 100% sure.
    One would hope that the inflated prices for Apple hardware pay for these software services. It's one of the reasons the users fork out the money.
    At least for the current Apple CEO, privacy seems to matter. It certainly wasn't the case with Jobs at the helm.
    Things may change again for Apple with a new CEO.
    There is always a problem trusting private companies to care about the customer above their own financial interest.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-17 06:50 PM
    Are they a charity? How do they pay salaries?

Posted via CB10
    They are currently operating off a giant donation made by its founder.
    05-28-17 06:58 PM
    That may work for awhile. We'll see what happens when the money runs out.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-17 07:09 PM
    Apple doesn't have to mine. Also they would have a lot more to lose if someone find out they mine iMessage then not doing it.

At some point, you need to trust someone... unless you build your own messaging app, there is no way to be 100% sure.
    Their relatively new "differential privacy" policy includes collecting some data from iMessage.

Everybody does it.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-17 07:23 PM
    You may be able to purchase BBM Enterprise for your personal use. From BlackBerry's standpoint your company which you identify on the application would be you. I'm not sure what a new user would do today. I purchased BBM Protected from BlackBerry online when one could do that. To renew now, I go though an email exchange with BlackBerry and ultimately pay with credit card. My memory is after confirming that I wanted to renew and answering that I did not have a purchase order number I was given a URL and the option to pay with credit card. But I don't know how a new customer would go about applying for BBM Enterprise now. Maybe the answer is already on the forum, or someone else will tell you what you can do nowadays.

And to confirm what another has already answered, yes, so far as right now, this is the only way to get cross-platform video calling in BBM on BB10.
    Thanks for the explanation! Would you mind sharing how much it costs per month?

Posted via CB10
    05-28-17 09:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    I just let mine expire, but the last year cost me $42 CDN plus tax.
    05-28-17 09:52 PM
    Ah that's not bad at all. Think I'll subscribe. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    05-28-17 11:03 PM
    I think I now remember a similar number.
    It's peanuts.

The problem seems to be though that BBM Enterprise runs all the time and drains my battery even when not used.
    Turning on and off the device did not fix this problem.
    The system and BBM enterprise are now my dominant battery hoggers which now drains in half the time it used to.
    It would be good to know if others on bb10 BBM enterprise experience the same behaviour.

Also, no more video chat with bb10 consumer devices...

Posted via CB10
    05-28-17 11:28 PM
    I think I now remember a similar number.
    It's peanuts.

The problem seems to be though that BBM Enterprise runs all the time and drains my battery even when not used.
    Turning on and off the device did not fix this problem.
    The system and BBM enterprise are now my dominant battery hoggers which now drains in half the time it used to.
    It would be good to know if others on bb10 BBM enterprise experience the same behaviour.

Also, no more video chat with bb10 consumer devices...

Posted via CB10
    If you have device encryption turned on, turn it off, let decryption finish, then check battery and CPU usage.

I turned device and SD card encryption off and resource usage went way down, down to normal range. I watched for a while and then turned encryption back on when I went to bed. This morning, resource usage went back up. With encryption off, BBM Enterprise was idle. With encryption on, BBM Enterprise is constant 5-7% CPU.

I am going to turn off device encryption again and leave SD card encryption on and see what happens. Probably will leave device encryption off and test again if there is a BBM Enterprise update.
    05-29-17 03:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    I renewed in April, two licenses for total 59.98USD, so about $30 per user per device, at least in my case.

I saw a thread with link to ca.blackberry.com for BBM Enterprise. I didn't follow it to see what is there, but in your shoes that's what I would do.
    05-29-17 03:36 AM
    If you have device encryption turned on, turn it off, let decryption finish, then check battery and CPU usage.

I turned device and SD card encryption off and resource usage went way down, down to normal range. I watched for a while and then turned encryption back on when I went to bed. This morning, resource usage went back up. With encryption off, BBM Enterprise was idle. With encryption on, BBM Enterprise is constant 5-7% CPU.

I am going to turn off device encryption again and leave SD card encryption on and see what happens. Probably will leave device encryption off and test again if there is a BBM Enterprise update.
    Interesting. I turned off SD card encryption awhile ago when I switched from Passport OG to Passport SE. I still had device encryption on.
    I've just turned that off. I'll report here later today if that fixed the battery drain.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-17 04:37 AM
    That may work for awhile. We'll see what happens when the money runs out.

Posted via CB10
    Well a foundation, if well managed and if there's enough money in it, should never run out of cash.
    05-29-17 11:15 AM
    Interesting. I turned off SD card encryption awhile ago when I switched from Passport OG to Passport SE. I still had device encryption on.
    I've just turned that off. I'll report here later today if that fixed the battery drain.

Posted via CB10
    Ok. Turning off encryption did not help.
    I turned off all the radios and BBM enterprise and the system keep draining the battery at the same rate as when the radios where on.
    This proves how badly written software, by software engineers who don't understand the hardware and what consumes power in the hardware, can train your battery.
    It was all fine before the switch to BBM enterprise and the new BBM update.

Of course, BBM enterprise is one of those BlackBerry apps over which the user has no control. You can't turn off permissions, etc....

This also proves that turning off the radios does not guarantee that the radios are actually turned off. The use has no control...

Posted via CB10
    05-29-17 01:37 PM
    Did you wait for decryption to finish? Did you restart device after decryption was complete?

Concerning the radios, I'm sure they were off. If the software is continuing to put demand on the CPU then the CPU is going to use power because of that demand. What you probably have shown is the software continued in its error regardless of the state of the radio when the state was in fact off.
    05-29-17 01:41 PM
    Here is my battery use now with device encryption off (and SD card encryption is on):

BBM for BB10 updated! Finally!-img_20170529_141012.jpg

BBM for BB10 updated! Finally!-img_20170529_140952.jpg

Note BBM Enterprise is nearly idle.

Turning device encryption off has corrected resource use problem on both my Passport and wife's Passport. Both are PassportSQW100-4/10.3.3.2163

(Again, not saying this is solution, only a workaround. It's a temporary fix until there is a solution.)
    05-29-17 02:16 PM
    Well, it didn't solve the problem for me. I turned it off after de-encrypting the device, still BBM enterprise and the system dominate, even though I did not use it at all today...

Posted via CB10
    05-29-17 06:16 PM
    I managed to finally stabilize the power drain by re-installing BBM Enterprise. Battery now seems to be back to pre-BBM Enterprise switch.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-17 10:05 PM
    I managed to finally stabilize the power drain by re-installing BBM Enterprise. Battery now seems to be back to pre-BBM Enterprise switch.

Posted via CB10
    Good to know. Are you able to use device encryption as well, or do you still have it off?
    05-30-17 04:40 AM
    Resource use is back up for me this morning. Whatever turning off encryption did in my case, it didn't last. Or there was some coincidence I haven't realized.
    05-30-17 05:57 AM
    Good to know. Are you able to use device encryption as well, or do you still have it off?
    I haven't turned that back on.
    I don't want to try it in case my battery starts to drain fast again.
    I may rethink this later. For now I want to monitor it for a few days to see if everything is fine.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-17 11:36 AM
    I haven't turned that back on.
    I don't want to try it in case my battery starts to drain fast again.
    I may rethink this later. For now I want to monitor it for a few days to see if everything is fine.

Posted via CB10
    Sounds like a plan.

As I posted somewhere earlier, resource use went back up in may case. I restarted device and it came back down.

I just turned encryption back on. I can go a few days waiting to see what BlackBerry does (or not) before deciding something else to try.
    05-30-17 11:41 AM
    Sounds like a plan.

As I posted somewhere earlier, resource use went back up in may case. I restarted device and it came back down.

I just turned encryption back on. I can go a few days waiting to see what BlackBerry does (or not) before deciding something else to try.
    Actually, my battery started to drain again, too, and bbm enterprise is creeping up on the list. I don't know what is causing this because I did not use it after I left home and it started draining only after I left home. Maybe it's related to going on the cellular network.
    I will turn the phone off and on again to see if it stops, like you did.
    This is getting to be too much work to sort out the cause.

Update: battery drain stopped again after turning off and back on the phone...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by sorinv; 05-30-17 at 03:19 PM.
    05-30-17 11:48 AM
    Are they a charity? How do they pay salaries?

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails BBM for BB10 updated! Finally!-screenshot_2017-05-30-17-29-05.jpg  
    05-30-17 04:32 PM
    Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-17 08:19 PM
    Actually, my battery started to drain again, too, and bbm enterprise is creeping up on the list. I don't know what is causing this because I did not use it after I left home and it started draining only after I left home. Maybe it's related to going on the cellular network.
    I will turn the phone off and on again to see if it stops, like you did.
    This is getting to be too much work to sort out the cause.

Update: battery drain stopped again after turning off and back on the phone...

Posted via CB10
    Bad coding: when an app goes into background, there is no reason for it to continue and drain ressources. And we are talking about a messenger... what background process has to be executed??? Nothing. So why is it consuming batteries?
    05-31-17 10:23 PM
85 1234