My assumption is if you could set the phone up for only LTE reception, and you could make a voice call, then you know you have VoLTE.

There is no way to select LTE only on the network menu. Now you can do this on the engineering screen, but I don't know if that really limits the phone to LTE.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 12:02 AM
    My assumption is if you could set the phone up for only LTE reception, and you could make a voice call, then you know you have VoLTE.

There is no way to select LTE only on the network menu. Now you can do this on the engineering screen, but I don't know if that really limits the phone to LTE.

Posted via CB10
    Its in the normal BB10 settings... Go to Network and Connections, go to the bottom and it should say IMS Status and the switch should be able to turn off and on. IF its greyed out then theres no VoLTE on your network supported!
    07-07-14 11:04 AM
    Well that was simple enough. Thanks.

I don't have it on my tower, but will check periodically as I travel around.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-14 02:20 PM
    Easy: you don't have VoLTE.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-14 03:29 PM
    Easy: you don't have VoLTE.

Posted via CB10
    Except they have it going in my area according to Tmob news.

Hence I will check.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-14 08:43 PM
    Which BB10 devices are VoLTE capable? I have a Z10 and Q10 and figured that they would require a software update to use VoLTE (and also figured that would never happen unless Chen and Legere get over their spat.)
    07-09-14 02:01 PM
    Z10 should be able to do VoLTE. You got the hooks in the last upgrade.

Posted via CB10
    p1800nut likes this.
    07-09-14 07:06 PM
    Which BB10 devices are VoLTE capable?
    Technically all of them. IMS is in the radio files already but only the Q10 and Z10 leverage it on Tmo for wifi calling. The same technology is what makes VoLTE work. If a cell site is provisioned for VoLTE, the handset is IMS capable, and the radio file has IMS enabled then VoLTE service will work.

[posted via CB10]
    07-10-14 02:44 AM
    If a cell site is provisioned for VoLTE, the handset is IMS capable, and the radio file has IMS enabled then VoLTE service will work.
    So no carrier approval/activity is required (beyond the cell site provisioning?) Or is it like WiFi calling where TMO green lights something, so to speak?
    07-10-14 06:49 PM
    So no carrier approval/activity is required (beyond the cell site provisioning?) Or is it like WiFi calling where TMO green lights something, so to speak?
    No carrier approval should be required beyond activation on an LTE cell site. Of course, I'm sure something will pop up and I'll eat my words on that one. But, it's less costly to run than a GSM or CDMA voice connection so it's in the carriers' best interests to deploy VoLTE wherever possible.

[posted via CB10]
    07-10-14 11:40 PM
    No carrier approval should be required beyond activation on an LTE cell site. Of course, I'm sure something will pop up and I'll eat my words on that one. But, it's less costly to run than a GSM or CDMA voice connection so it's in the carriers' best interests to deploy VoLTE wherever possible.
    I just did a quick search on tmonews, and it looks like software updates (pushed by TMO) indeed are involved...at least for Android and maybe iOS.

http://www.tmonews.com/2014/05/iphon...t-likely-wont/

http://www.tmonews.com/2014/06/samsu...-update-today/

Maybe you could figure out from the links above if these updates are activating IMS (which I don't think they are, because the GN3 has to have had WFC for a while now) or something very voLTE-specific.
    07-11-14 12:30 AM
    To my knowledge neither iOS nor Android contain IMS in the core OS like what BB10 does. It sounds like Apple doesn't want to include it the 5s out of stubbornness (maybe they intend to put it in the 6 to force hardware upgrades). Samsung sounds like they are indeed adding it to their Android builds rather than it being a dormant feature activated.

As to the Android devices currently leveraging WFC but still needing an update for VoLTE, I'd want to know what protocol they're currently using for WFC. It might not be IMS. It could just be a SIP app that ties into the OS.

[posted via CB10]
    raino likes this.
    07-11-14 01:05 AM
    They sure mucked that article up by mentioning FaceTime. It is really irrelevant to the topic.

It looks like they are using a hex editor and searching for keywords in the OS. I can't think of a closed source OS out there that doesn't put in the terms of service that you won't reverse engineer code, etc. While hackers use hex editors all the time, I don't think it wise to publish the fact.

"Legal Note: Most commercial applications forbid the use of disassemblers and/or debuggers within their EULAs, which you agree to upon installation or opening the package (depending on the program). "

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 04:13 AM
    My Z30 not on VoLTE.

My wifes Z10 on it.

It's disappointing that no new BlackBerry will be able to use this.

How to tell if on VoLTE-img_20140716_211056.png
    How to tell if on VoLTE-img_20140716_211104.png

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.3247 / T-Mobile USA
    07-16-14 09:53 PM
    With VoLTE

How to tell if on VoLTE-img_20140716_215825.png
    How to tell if on VoLTE-img_20140716_215817.png

Attached Thumbnails How to tell if on VoLTE-img_20140716_211056.png  
    07-16-14 09:59 PM
    With VoLTE

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140716_215825.png 
Views:	774 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	285452
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140716_215817.png 
Views:	764 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	285453

How's the sound quality ?

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 10:03 PM
    If T-Mobile wanted to give these services to Z30, Q5, Z3, Passport, Classic and future models is it in their capability to offer this on their network without the cooperation of BlackBerry?

I see T-Mobile as more caring about their customers than BlackBerry. And possibly if it wasn't too much trouble to just add something in their data base they'd do it.

I don't mind not having the wifi calling but as technology evolves more and more features will be missed.

This affects more than just T-Mobile. It's a real possibility that no American carrier will support BlackBerry anymore. This could make the difference of how these phones work on other carriers.

This issue can make or break BlackBerry in the US. And even if BlackBerry decided to pull out of the US completely - it will cut off die hard American BlackBerry fans who want to import. I mean eventually I'm going to go with an android if it means I can't use a network to its full potential.

I know a lot of BlackBerry people will stay with them even if it's down to 2 cans and a string. But I'll stay with my carrier and move phones if I keep getting screwed by BlackBerry.

Chen obviously doesn't care about the little guy. He doesn't care if I want to run my phone down here. Who cares what phones T-Mobile pushes.? A sale is a sale. Even if they can't sell phones through the carrier thru should help BlackBerry customers. If they can.

I'm asking the question - can one party or the other allow this to happen without the cooperation of the other?

I think John Legere would allow new BlackBerry's to run just to p*** off Chen if nothing else.

Last edited by Doggerz; 07-16-14 at 10:23 PM.
    07-16-14 10:10 PM
    How's the sound quality ?

Posted via CB10
    It's great - I turned off wifi calling and wifi to test it. Problem is that my wife gets the great quality on her Z10 and I don't get it on my Z30.

We are both running the same OS version that I have listed in my signature.

07-16-14 10:13 PM
    ^you're nothing if not persistent. It's T-Mobile who's not "cooperating" here. Your own screenshots prove that the Z30 is voLTE capable, so pray tell...what's the hold-up?
    07-16-14 10:20 PM
    ^you're nothing if not persistent. It's T-Mobile who's not "cooperating" here. Your own screenshots prove that the Z30 is voLTE capable, so pray tell...what's the hold-up?
    My screen shots is of my wifes Z10 using VoLTE. My Z30 can't.

I simply want to know who CAN enable my Z30. Regardless if you like Legere or Chen or neither or both. What is the truth? Who could make it so ALL BlackBerry's can get IMS services on my network.?

07-16-14 10:27 PM
    I simply want to know who CAN enable my Z30.
    T-Mobile. It's just like WiFi calling on the Z10/Q10 variants never carried by TMO.
    07-16-14 10:32 PM
    This isn't just about T-Mobile. Other carriers probably offer things that won't be supported if they don't carry BlackBerry anymore. Can the carrier (Verizon XLTE) let a service work if a phone supports it regardless if they sell it.?

This is all I want to know. Because if not then no IMS on the Classic. I guess I can just tweet Legere and find out. Don't know if he knows the technical part of the network. Don't know of its anything to do with BlackBerry.

My guess is that they have to cooperate and that isn't going to happen. And if AT&T doesn't carry the new phones I'm sure BlackBerry won't cooperate with them either.

This just really sucks all around for the few BlackBerry Americans left. Haven't seen anyone be able to hack wifi calling on non supported models. So don't have much hope that someone could fool T-Mobile into thinking my Z30 is a Z10.

That would solve everything nicely. Someone who knew how to make a phone appear to be a different model. I think I saw that on the X-Files once.

07-16-14 10:35 PM
    T-Mobile. It's just like WiFi calling on the Z10/Q10 variants never carried by TMO.
    Gotcha. Thank you! I'll hound Legere until he kicks me off his network.

07-16-14 10:36 PM
    Raino - I know I annoy the hell out of you but wanted you to know I've noticed you know your stuff when it comes to networks and radio files and advice you give.

I think you're a real asset to the forums, regardless if you think my liking T-Mobile is sane or not. . Thanks man.

geekaren and raino like this.
    07-16-14 10:40 PM
    No problem. I apologize for being a little short. Regarding XLTE, that's just high bandwidth (10x10 or higher) LTE on band 4. Nothing new is required of the phones, except for band 4's presence (which automatically excludes the Verizon Z10.) In fact, there's a thread going on here on CB that documents XLTE sightings. I don't recall its name, but the OP is peter0328.

TMO is very proprietary in some ways. For example, they don't allow WiFi calling on non-branded Android phones, nor do they allow the Isis service. IMO, this lack of VoLTE is just a continuation of this behavior.
    peter0328 likes this.
    07-16-14 11:05 PM
123 123 ...