12-23-09 11:57 PM
64 123
tools
    What's that, 3 major outages in a short amount of time? Unacceptable. I rely on this device. No, nothing is perfect- but this is out of control. I also hate how RIM leaves us in the dark.

I'm thinking of jumping ship to Android.

How about you? What phone are you tempted to get?
    12-22-09 09:09 PM
    Just waiting on a good Android handset to hit Verizon... then I'm gone! lol But I'll still be here.
    12-22-09 09:16 PM
    iPhone!!!!!
    12-22-09 09:19 PM
    its not the phone....its the service...****, this can happen with any carrier when you wont receive calls or emails, its happened to me b4....but its not like you're phone isnt working @ all in the 2 outages now, you get calls and sms, just no bbm, email or certain apps that use data....but in this case it seems to be an issue with certain blackberry services
    12-22-09 09:19 PM
    I'm heading to Sprint in the AM to figure what I can do. At worst I have to wait until June to dump RIM.
    Either way one way or another I'm firing RIM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-09 09:23 PM
    I need an Audible client before I can consider Android.
    12-22-09 09:23 PM
    Only BB!

Service issues happen on every devices... You should live with it...
    12-22-09 09:26 PM
    My phone works, so why would I want to switch. I don't have internet right now. Big deal. If I need internet, I'll go to a computer, like I am now.
    If Sprint had the iPhone...I'd have already been there instead. >.<

Amusingly enough, I didn't even NOTICE the other outages. This one is kicking my rear, though. ESPECIALLY three days before Christmas. I have relatives to coordinate with and fellow crackberry addicts to correspond with, dammit!

...at least my wi-fi still works. *hugs my iPod touch* It never fails me...
    Just waiting on a good Android handset to hit Verizon... then I'm gone! lol But I'll still be here.
    +1 ...but I'm going to wait until my NE2, which sadly won't be for awhile yet. Overall, the Android platform has really caught my interest as of late, especially since my sister got her Droid.
    Nexus One?
    12-22-09 09:28 PM
    I have been using RIM BB's for 3+ years. In that time only dealing with several real outages, I would say is a pretty good track record.
    12-22-09 09:29 PM
    Well seeing how I just got a Sprint rebate rejection post card in the mail today...grrrrrr. My first business is for either Sprint to give me my dam $100 rebate or they can take the Tour/RIM and shove it up there bleep.
    12-22-09 09:32 PM
    Wow, some of you are really uninformed. Carrier network outages are far less frequent then RIM outages. In fact, it's far better to have a single point of data failure (carrier alone) for other Smartphones, rather then two (RIM and carrier) for Blackberry.
    12-22-09 09:40 PM
    its not the phone....its the service...****, this can happen with any carrier when you wont receive calls or emails, its happened to me b4....but its not like you're phone isnt working @ all in the 2 outages now, you get calls and sms, just no bbm, email or certain apps that use data....but in this case it seems to be an issue with certain blackberry services
    You know, prior to switching to BlackBerry, I had Palm Treos for many, many years. I really don't remember having an outage my whole time with those devices. The problem with RIM, is we rely on their service for basically everything (except making calls, and perhaps SMS), so when it goes down it is a major achilles heel. It is just one more middle man, that can be eliminated. For example, if I use Gmail on my BB, then I'm relying on not only Gmail, but also RIM. If I had a Droid, I could skip the middle man and connect directly with Gmail.
    12-22-09 09:41 PM
    Wow, some of you are really uninformed. Carrier network outages are far less frequent then RIM outages. In fact, it's far better to have a single point of data failure (carrier alone) for other Smartphones, rather then two (RIM and carrier) for Blackberry.
    Good point. I was typing my response at the same time as you.
    12-22-09 09:42 PM
    Gotta agree w you there, my man. As long as you have phone and SMS, you're good to go. And really, it's not the service in this case. It's the backbone, i.e. RIM. TMO, VZW, or whomever is not the cause. It's who's supporting them.
    RIM's data is down. Carrier TCP/IP traffic is fine... in this case, if you had another smartphone other then a Blackberry, you wouldn't be experiencing this issue. Plain and simple bro!
    12-22-09 09:42 PM
    My phone works, so why would I want to switch. I don't have internet right now. Big deal. If I need internet, I'll go to a computer, like I am now.
    That's fine and dandy if you're near a computer, but what if you had a job where you were out of the office a lot?
    12-22-09 09:45 PM
    I was doing a speed test of my BB Browser versus the Droid Browser shortly before this outage began, while I was out holiday shopping. I got in the 300K range on both the upload and download tests, while the Droid got some ridiculously low number. I was thinking, yeah, my Tour has it going on. Now, I am sitting here wondering WTF??!!

I guess Droid wanted to have the last word!
    12-22-09 09:47 PM
    I have an iPhone that should be here in the morning, going to roll with that for a little while as these outages are pissing me off. I am out of the office a lot and this cannot happen, especially twice in one week.
    12-22-09 09:48 PM
    Gotta agree w you there, my man. As long as you have phone and SMS, you're good to go. And really, it's not the service in this case. It's the backbone, i.e. RIM. TMO, VZW, or whomever is not the cause. It's who's supporting them.
    Wow, not so fast. In the corporate world, texting is viewed as something teen ager's do. I can't imagine texting a client. Email is relied on for communication, and also for completing bids on new business in a time sensitive manner.
    The 4th Gen iPhone or a new Andriod Device. I like ATT and will stick with them as along as I can. The Nexus One phone looks tempting.

This whole BIS and RIM is CRAP!
    I have an iPhone that should be here in the morning, going to roll with that for a little while as these outages are pissing me off. I am out of the office a lot and this cannot happen, especially twice in one week.
    Yeah, people who don't work out of the office a lot can't quite relate. I can. It is a truly sad day when an iPhone is seen as being a more reliable and robust option than a BlackBerry, but I can't say I blame you after what has gone on recently.
    12-22-09 09:51 PM
    I have considered Windows Mobile. Seems to me it is a lot like having a pocket sized laptop running MS Windows. A lot of people really discount WinMo but if a person is looking for business usability, and not just flash, I think it is as good as anything else. And probably better than some.
    12-22-09 10:04 PM
    There's no doubt in my mind I'll be jumping ship to Android as soon as I can afford to buy a Droid outright.
    12-22-09 10:11 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD