11-29-10 05:38 PM
46 12
tools
    Verizon is launching LTE in December but only for wireless laptops. 4G won't be available for handsets until mid-2011.

Cellphones: Faster 4G wireless networks are coming, slowly - latimes.com

This should cast some serious doubt on a storm3 with LTE being released before about June 2011.
    From what I've heard, we'll be seeing the first LTE handsets by Feb/Mar. I remember seeing numerous articles saying we'll be seeing handsets BY May 2011.
    11-26-10 09:54 PM
    From what I've heard, we'll be seeing the first LTE handsets by Feb/Mar. I remember seeing numerous articles saying we'll be seeing handsets BY May 2011.
    Exactly. The original launch date for LTE was 11/15 and then they set it back to 12/6 but they always said 5 phones by May 2011. So I think you'll see then 1 or 2 a month from January to May. Maybe Feb to July or so if there see delays.

I know for a fact that they are in lates stages of testing an HTC Android device that is 4G. If you follow Black_man_X on twitter he is saying he has been using the HTC incredible HD for a few weeks now. That means the device is in friendly user testing which means it is very close to release. Like 30-60 days close.

No word on S3 and while it is possible that there may be a surprise there the lack of leaks means it is probably still with RIM and buy in carrier testing. Which means it must be sanout 3 to 5 months from release.

So S3 may be may or so, but you'll see that LG phone or the HTC device by March at the latest I would assume.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-10 08:22 AM
    VZW commissioned the Storm from RIM. They probably paid some $$4 on the R&D, or guaranteed certain sales, etc. Just as ATT did with the torch. Those aren't exactly Exclusive contracts as they are custom orders. Either way the result is the same. You can't get a 9530 or 9550 on any other NA carrier. Of course that has to do with the S1 and S3 and we all have no idea how long or how far that Exclusivity deal goes.

I think it is safe to assume that the S3 will only be on VZW.
    Despite the deals in the past, I would be very surprised if you only saw S3 on VZW in the states, it made sense for both companies back with S1 and S2, but rim aren't going to want to continue to limit their audience and VZW are so into android these days that they are unlikely to want to put in a big enough order to keep it exclusive.

These days I think the most we might see would be a smallish window of exclusivity before it also showed up on Sprint or we saw a GSM version on one of the other carriers as that kind of arrangement would still work out nicely for both companies.
    11-27-10 01:03 PM
    Why are people assuming Verizon will have an LTE handset out by Jan or Feb 2011??

Can someone cite a source for this. The L.A. Times link I posted says that Verizon will relase its first 4G/LTE pones in Mid 2011 .
    11-27-10 01:46 PM
    Why not?

If RIM is ready and they want to release a phone before everyone whose S1 contract has ended or before the S2 becomes EOLed or too outdated so that people don't switch to android or iPhone on vzw, it would be ideal for rim to release a phone like the S3 and say that it will be lte upgradeable soon.

That would be great for us waiting but I can't see it happening either unfortunately. I think Verizon would want to launch them all together. If anything, other Android/WP7 phones would launch before the LTE BB because they've been in testing longer IMO. Pretty sure RIM has been holding their phones closer to themselves for testing. At least that's to my understanding based on various posts/tweets.

Eventually they have to get it to carriers for testing. For all I know it already has but they have a very strict NDA. CX even recently said RIM has been a lot more anal on these things lately. It shows...with the lack of info.

I really hope we see the Playbook Jan and S3 in Mar.

I have a very good feeling we're gonna hear more at the D: Dive Into Mobile event Dec 6-7 and CES Jan 6-9. Let's be patient.
    11-27-10 01:47 PM
    Why are people assuming Verizon will have an LTE handset out by Jan or Feb 2011??

Can someone cite a source for this. The L.A. Times link I posted says that Verizon will relase its first 4G/LTE pones in Mid 2011 .
    Because Vow's CEO said that they would announce them at CES in january and have 5 phones BY may 2011. Since that is coming from VZW itself I would go by that over LA times.

11-27-10 01:54 PM
    Because Vow's CEO said that they would announce them at CES in january and have 5 phones BY may 2011. Since that is coming from VZW itself I would go by that over LA times.

Wishful thinking my friend. In case you didn't open my previous link to the L.A. Times article about LTE, here is an excerpt:

"The company hasn't turned on 4G yet: it will begin to flip the switch in about 30 U.S. cities this year, initially offering 4G service only to wireless accessories for laptops. Its 4G smart phones won't come out until sometime in the middle of 2011 (Verizon declined to say if whether that would include Apple Inc.'s iPhone), and as far as size, its 4G network won't catch up to its existing 3G footprint until 2013."

This is coming directly from Verizon itself. Do you have any more current sources you can cite saying there will be LTE phones out in Jan, Feb, or March 2011?? They can announce a new LTE phone whenever they want, but it doesn't mean it will be availaible before mid-2011 (which the month of May fits into).
    Last edited by BerryBlack15; 11-27-10 at 04:07 PM.
    11-27-10 04:04 PM
    Aren't all these phones backward compatible? If so then it is possible for them to be released BEFORE 4G is "turned on" right?

11-27-10 06:54 PM
    Aren't all these phones backward compatible? If so then it is possible for them to be released BEFORE 4G is "turned on" right?

Yes, that is true...but I doubt this will happen.
    11-27-10 07:55 PM
    Yes, that is true...but I doubt this will happen.
    Why not?

If RIM is ready and they want to release a phone before everyone whose S1 contract has ended or before the S2 becomes EOLed or too outdated so that people don't switch to android or iPhone on vzw, it would be ideal for rim to release a phone like the S3 and say that it will be lte upgradeable soon.

11-27-10 08:27 PM
    Why not?

That's the BIG question, "if RIM is ready..." and so far they haven't given any indication they are ready. They seem content to wait until the QNX, LTE version is ready 2Q11 - I'm not happy about it, but that's the way it's looking.
    11-27-10 08:49 PM
    That's the BIG question, "if RIM is ready..." and so far they haven't given any indication they are ready. They seem content to wait until the QNX, LTE version is ready 2Q11 - I'm not happy about it, but that's the way it's looking.
    True... But if they are ready come April or so like some have predicted (and they say we haven't seen much because of the tightened security on leaks) we could still see a lte ready s3 a month or 2 before lte actually drops... Which would still be better than rim waiting that extra 2 or so months to release the phone.

11-27-10 09:27 PM
    Wishful thinking my friend. In case you didn't open my previous link to the L.A. Times article about LTE, here is an excerpt:

"The company hasn't turned on 4G yet: it will begin to flip the switch in about 30 U.S. cities this year, initially offering 4G service only to wireless accessories for laptops. Its 4G smart phones won't come out until sometime in the middle of 2011 (Verizon declined to say if whether that would include Apple Inc.'s iPhone), and as far as size, its 4G network won't catch up to its existing 3G footprint until 2013."

This is coming directly from Verizon itself. Do you have any more current sources you can cite saying there will be LTE phones out in Jan, Feb, or March 2011?? They can announce a new LTE phone whenever they want, but it doesn't mean it will be availaible before mid-2011 (which the month of May fits into).
    Nowhere in that article is a direct quotation from VZW. The reporter is stating what you quoted above and they make no citation as to where that is coming from. So that is the same speculation that the rest of the world is batting around and not some new scoop.

Since I know VZW is deep in testing at least 1 LTE capable smartphone, I am still thinking that they will release 1 or 2 by February or March.
    11-27-10 10:26 PM
    True... But if they are ready come April or so like some have predicted (and they say we haven't seen much because of the tightened security on leaks) we could still see a lte ready s3 a month or 2 before lte actually drops... Which would still be better than rim waiting that extra 2 or so months to release the phone.
    Seems far more likely that we would see a 3g device in april going to multiple carriers and then you get a special lte blackberry later in the year once there is actually a bit more demand for the feature on phones rather than 4g dongles, this allows them to keep costs down on these new models, not worry about potential battery life issues and spend more time ensuring there are no problems with an early lte radio stack which seems quite likely with any new technology.
    11-28-10 12:05 PM

LTE drops in 1 week.

11-28-10 01:27 PM
    LTE drops in 1 week.
    They say a journey of a thousand miles starts with one step! Let's hope this is the first step in an exciting journey to LTE coverage, and new LTE phones. I am really looking forward to it and my next phone upgrade in June!
    11-28-10 06:22 PM
    I think RIM hits a homerun with the S3 this time...... the real question will be.... can they keep it going????
    11-28-10 06:26 PM
    I think RIM hits a homerun with the S3 this time...... the real question will be.... can they keep it going????
    Lets see the device first...

And it also depends on whats out when its released (since it may not be out until MAY... who knows what Apple/Google will be cooking up in terms of software and new phones...

But they do say 3rd times the charm! I'm really hoping RIM does well with the S3, I know I'll be picking one up.
    11-28-10 06:50 PM

If you don't like that answer, then reload the page.
    Last edited by grahamf; 11-28-10 at 07:12 PM.
    11-28-10 07:08 PM
    If there is no storm 3 (all rumors point to yes) then i will stick on the bb train. But if they dont produce a good one on their next try, im going over to android. O.s. 6 just doesnt do it for me and it was as revolutionary as ios or android. Maybe this qnx or w/e could be but i highly doubt it. Rim has fallen behind and they arent doing whats neccessary to catch up. Im still sitting on my storm one
    11-29-10 12:20 PM
    I've used 6.0 and I have seen the playbook.

It the Storm3 incorporates the basics of those two together, with a trackpad or even just brighter resolution and a smooth phone experience along with a nice browser. There should be no problems at all.
    11-29-10 05:38 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD