09-28-09 05:04 PM
34 12
tools
    Rumors aside and fake photos not withstanding, will RIM ever develop a BB device with a QWERTY slider keyboard? No matter how advocates try to defend the current BB keyboards, there is no question in my mind that typing text messages, web addresses, emails etc is far easier on the slide-outstyle keyboards.
    08-24-09 05:37 AM
    I hope so. There's been rumors about that but nothing has been proved to any degree, I guess just wishful thinking. I've been playing with my girls G1 and I love the setup. The keyboard on hers I'm not a huge fan of. I would love to see what RIM could do to that style of a device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-09 06:19 AM
    I like the idea of a touchscreen device with the slide out keyboard myself. I'd also like to have a trackball (pad) and see this as the ultimate blackberry for me...large screen and full qwerty keyboard along with the trackball for precision...the best of both worlds.

forkup
    08-25-09 07:19 AM
    That would be a real sweet device, combined CDMA/GSM version for those stuck to Verizon, and wifi, of course.
    08-25-09 08:29 AM
    It's more than just a rumor, as RIM has a patent app for a slider design....

RIM BlackBerry with Tilt & Slide Form Factor | CrackBerry.com

This does NOT mean they will ever actually release such a device, BUT it does look promising.
    08-25-09 09:07 AM
    If they made a slider like storm, I would get it. I like everything about the storm except the typing, which is why I'm hesitant to get one.
    08-25-09 09:57 AM
    I thought that's what the rumored "Nautilus" was supposed to represent - a touchscreen BlackBerry with a slide-out keypad.

And I agree - that for typing, a physical keypad with bigger keys would be hard to beat.
    Nothing saying that you'd have to lose anything on the touchscreen-end of it.

My only concern, is that if you DID take a Storm 2 with it's screen and underlaying sensor and feedback mechanisms, than put a keypad underneath THAT - the resulting device would probably resemble a brick.

But that's why the world has engineers and miniturization, I suppose.
    08-25-09 01:36 PM
    It's more than just a rumor, as RIM has a patent app for a slider design....

RIM BlackBerry with Tilt & Slide Form Factor | CrackBerry.com

This does NOT mean they will ever actually release such a device, BUT it does look promising.
    Not seeing much advantage to the design depicted in the website that you cited. I was sort of hoping for something similar to the LG nV style... nice sized inside screen with a good sized keyboard.
    08-25-09 07:23 PM
    I woudl love it if they keyboard was like that of the sidekick/hiptop series and not like the G1... I love my 8900s keayboard but my hiptop slide was the best i have ever typed on.
    08-26-09 12:37 AM
    This slider Motorola smartphone is headed for the Verizon lineup this Fall according to multiple sources:

Leak: Motorola's 'Sholes' Android Smartphone Headed to Verizon - PC World

It appears that it will have wi-fi, and a 5MP camera. I wonder whether this will be a combined CDMA and GSM global phone.
    08-26-09 05:51 AM
    Not seeing much advantage to the design depicted in the website that you cited. I was sort of hoping for something similar to the LG nV style... nice sized inside screen with a good sized keyboard.
    How about sized like the HTC 8525? That had touchscreen and keypad, in a "non-brick" size?
    08-26-09 09:31 AM
    Or like the Diamond Touch Pro 1/2
    08-26-09 10:51 AM
    I think it would lose the whole berry effect of the keyboard which is the most important thing, either that or it will be extremely fat which is pretty bad
    08-26-09 12:48 PM
    I think it would lose the whole berry effect of the keyboard which is the most important thing, either that or it will be extremely fat which is pretty bad
    OK, what is the "berry effect"? Is that what you mean when you want to put a number "7" into a text or email, and you have to press the "alt" button with your big fat thumb right next to the "7"?

I'll jump on board to the first decent sized slider keyboard device!
    08-26-09 02:41 PM
    I believe the Nautilus will be the Storm Slider. Possibly 9800/9850. Still a long time before we see it.
    08-26-09 10:57 PM
    I would drool over a slide out keyboard/touchscreen combo. To be honest before I got my bold some of my friends got LG touchscreen phones and I had a play with them. Then between those and the iPhone square icons I used to attempt to touchscreen on my bold to open things. Lol. It's hilarious when you're sleepy and don't realise what your doing.

But yes, definitely would be up for the non-brick version of that if it were ever possible. Long as it had a trackball/berryball things would be sweet.
    08-27-09 08:00 PM
    Now this is going to be an interesting phone if and when it comes to Verizon. CDMA and GSM, wifi, sliing QWERTY keyboard and touchscreen:

HTC Touch Pro2 CDMA Photos (Phone Arena)
    08-29-09 09:21 AM
    For the sake of choice such a device would be cool...though as far as phones go I type slower on those wider slide out keyboards so I personally would stay far away from the device.

08-29-09 09:41 AM
    I hate phones with slide out keyboards, but I'm sure RIM is going to change my mind.
    08-31-09 10:16 AM
    I came from three consecutive sliders (6800, TyTn, TyTn II) before I moved to the Treo Pro and now my Bold.

I will never go back to a slider again unless it has numeric keys always exposed.

If you are a heavy caller, or live in a climate where gloves are required...forget it. To take off your gloves to use the touchscreen or slide every time you want to make a call is way more trouble than it is worth.
    08-31-09 02:40 PM
    Playing with my brother palm pre, i pray they never make a slide keyboard liek that.
    09-01-09 05:52 AM
    I like the idea of a touchscreen device with the slide out keyboard myself. I'd also like to have a trackball (pad) and see this as the ultimate blackberry for me...large screen and full qwerty keyboard along with the trackball for precision...the best of both worlds.

forkup
    I would definitely respect such a device...you have to take into consideration the process of sales regarding something so powerful...it would cause some people to chuck other BB's so I believe it will be made but not time soon...

09-08-09 12:48 PM
    The rumored 9100 pearl would be perfect for something like this. The pearl is just the right size for a slider.
    09-12-09 08:26 PM
    One thing I love about the bb the way they are is that there are really no moving parts. I can't tell you how many issues dh and I have had with flip phones.
    09-13-09 07:24 PM
    I agree sliders are prone to mmalfunctions but a flip in the style similar to an env touch with the blackberry/storm considerations would be neat...of course this isnt a new idea samsung, and verizon have released their own versions of this type of smartphone in the past
    09-14-09 12:10 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD