11-30-10 09:54 AM
55 123
tools
    no, people are mad because the Storm 2 was a year late and now a refresh of a year late device does not compete with the devices on the market today. People dont want 512mb of RAM! And when you have an already loaded 256 in your Storm 2, that only gives you another 256 to work with. People dont want the same resolution at the same price as an iphone or Droid! People dont want a processor less than 1ghz because people know 1ghz is pretty much the standard and people who use BBs know that things get bogged down and slow in the devices verses droids and the liquid smooth iphone 4g. Makes sense?

Thank you.....thank you RicanMedic!! I haven't had a chance to respond. However, obvioulsy my point is the same as yours.
    It would be great if RIM released an actual UPGRADE to their previous model phones. However instead they release REFRESHES. The difference being with these refreshes RIM uses the same chipsets, as TheEngine and Joel S. referenced, in the same phone over and over and over again. They up the memory and add a new MP camera and think that does the trick as other companies actually UPGRADE their phones. These companies jump miles ahead of RIM because they double and triple with new chipset speeds, double and triple the MP's on the cameras(not that it matters so much MP-wise) and innovate on their OS's.
    RIM has also released new devices going from OS 4 to 4.5 to 4.7....to 5 with no innovation really whatsoever, except maybe more OS bugs that needed to be fixed when a new OS is FINALLY approved and relesased by a carrier. Even OS6 isn't all that hot and innovative IMO so far. I do think it looks good on the touchpad devices thou. However, I believe that innvation should've been from OS 4 to 6 and not all these small increments in between. OS5 was really weak.
    After all this RIM wonders why(or maybe they don't) Droid is making huge leaps in sales figures and they can't keep the iPhone4 on the shelves.
    Now after all this when they have a chance to finally make a jump forward to at lease catch up to the competition they release another refresh. So by the time the actual S3/S4 does come out it pretty much might as well be a refresh because it will still be a year behind the competition.
    08-30-10 04:48 PM
    iono. its like asking why wont BB add hspa+ onto the 9780.

maybe they are cheap? and just care about their bottom line?
    09-23-10 02:11 AM
    Why is it taking RIM to release a new phone? Easy: they are broke. Haven't u seen RIM stock, it steadily plummeting down.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I am not a financial analyst but I am sure RIM is not broke. Their stock price is down but I think they still make quite a bit of profit.

10-19-10 07:52 AM
    Why is it taking RIM to release a new phone? Easy: they are broke. Haven't u seen RIM stock, it steadily plummeting down.
    "Plummeting?" You have got to be kidding me! It is certainly down, but not plummeting; talk about over reaction!
    10-19-10 09:26 AM
    I liked my S1, though it was clear it wasn't what it could have been. I really like my S2, and I could see the improvements that had been made, though the processor and memory leave me wanting.

That said: I'm in an LTE launch city. If the S4G doesn't drop by the time I'm due for an upgrade, OR if the Droid2 Global IS LTE-capable, then I'm jumping ship.

I'm one of those who longed for a horizontal qwerty slider on a Storm...that on a robust handset would be a dream device for me.
    10-19-10 01:12 PM
    RIM is not upsetting anyone by releasing refreshes...

The main purpose for these refresh phones are to attract people who dont already own a blackberry. I am pretty sure RIM knows most users will not upgrade their current phone if they have the previous gen phones like the Storm2. Its not costing RIM any money to upgrade the hardware already in existing phones since nothing has changed but memory and maybe the processor which pretty much just "snap" into place. The Form factor is the exact same.

Why wait? because if they dont then you will have a disaster like the Storm 1. Do you want that again? Im assuming you are going to say no...
    He nails it on the head here, not to mention, RIM never has been a leader in this area. And frankly, no one really wants to be. Look at the Evo phone out now or whatever 4G phones are out, you pay 10 dollars extra a month and in some areas, you don't even have 4G out there yet.

Not to mention, in order to do so, you will need to use the first set of chips and what not. Which most likely will be bulky and drain power. Its not always about doing something, but doing it right. Would you want a 4G storm 3, that has a high res screen but you need to recharge it every 7 hours?

They need to find balance, and balance....sadly takes time. I mean, look at the iphone. Not even they release 4g phones yet, nor do they plan on being the first to hop aboard that technology.
    neokuji likes this.
    10-20-10 12:28 AM
    He nails it on the head here, not to mention, RIM never has been a leader in this area. And frankly, no one really wants to be. Look at the Evo phone out now or whatever 4G phones are out, you pay 10 dollars extra a month and in some areas, you don't even have 4G out there yet.

Not to mention, in order to do so, you will need to use the first set of chips and what not. Which most likely will be bulky and drain power. Its not always about doing something, but doing it right. Would you want a 4G storm 3, that has a high res screen but you need to recharge it every 7 hours?

They need to find balance, and balance....sadly takes time. I mean, look at the iphone. Not even they release 4g phones yet, nor do they plan on being the first to hop aboard that technology.

Well said my friend, if you are a lover a blackberry's then you should all know that with the hardware a bb carries, makes the bb perform just perfect, no lag, no slowness, etc. Most bb's are used for business minded/ Heavy e-mailers, not for app hungry/ game playing people like (MOST not ALL) android or iphone users. Although I know and we all know bb's are growing within popularity with some of the younger crowds and when they get one and it does not come up to par with one of their friends android phone or iphone they tend to turn the other shoulder to their bb. Hardware and Lte are going to come rim, but thats when they can balance everything out... like Battery, the right screen, a good processor to fit the needs of battery life, memory, etc. A battery life on a bb will def last a lot longer than an adroid phone, everyone knows that, and you wanna know why? Because rim has got the ingredients just right, and they dont plan on adding too much pepper and salt with out adding water to balance out the taste. 4g and lte isnt even up everywhere yet so i think all of us bb users can wait for that, hardware on the other hand is pretty much preference and how you use your bb.
    neokuji likes this.
    10-21-10 12:46 PM
    Well said my friend, if you are a lover a blackberry's then you should all know that with the hardware a bb carries, makes the bb perform just perfect, no lag, no slowness, etc. Most bb's are used for business minded/ Heavy e-mailers, not for app hungry/ game playing people like (MOST not ALL) android or iphone users. Although I know and we all know bb's are growing within popularity with some of the younger crowds and when they get one and it does not come up to par with one of their friends android phone or iphone they tend to turn the other shoulder to their bb. Hardware and Lte are going to come rim, but thats when they can balance everything out... like Battery, the right screen, a good processor to fit the needs of battery life, memory, etc. A battery life on a bb will def last a lot longer than an adroid phone, everyone knows that, and you wanna know why? Because rim has got the ingredients just right, and they dont plan on adding too much pepper and salt with out adding water to balance out the taste. 4g and lte isnt even up everywhere yet so i think all of us bb users can wait for that, hardware on the other hand is pretty much preference and how you use your bb.
    At some point their should be a class action suit against Sprint for the $10 4G nonsense when it isn't available to you.
    10-22-10 07:21 AM
    Nothing wrong with future proofing their phones, the real question is, why would you buy it? I believe its still a bit faster than 3G, but again, why pay for something you can't or don't really use?

People do it all the time with cars that are more powerful than needed, or with other electronics they never take advantage of. Instead of customers saying, wow it has 4G speeds, they should look at. Does it make phone calls? Do I really need to pay extra money for the ability to send video in HD?
    11-02-10 08:00 AM
    The reality is that 4G, or 3.9 G like LTE is just speed. You will be able to download full content from web sites faster and utilize new features like video chat. Those two alone could be invaluable to some.

We have one irreplaceable resource in this world and that is Time. While it can foolish to run around like mad, it is also irresponsible to waste time. If technology let's me get things done in less time, than that means I can reallocate that time to more meaningful things like persuing my passions or playing with my kids.

Not that LTE will make the world a better place but it can make your day a bit better from time to time. : )

11-02-10 08:30 AM
    At some point their should be a class action suit against Sprint for the $10 4G nonsense when it isn't available to you.
    What exactly will they be sued for? Telling you that there is a $10 PREMIUM DATA charge (NOT 4G charge) for that phone up front when you purchase it and YOU signing a contract saying that you'll pay for it?
    11-02-10 12:36 PM
    Yeah I want to pay extra $$$ per month to have a 10 Mbps connection to the RIM NOC, then get throttled through the proxy/pinball machine to nothing out to the Internet and still get my HTTP 504 errors.
    11-02-10 02:19 PM
    One thing to bear in mind is that Rim's next products are probably about 6 months away at this point and are either going to be their last on os6.x or their first on qnx (I am assuming the former personally) and as such adding an additional radio technology is either going to be a lot of work for an os at the end of its life in the first scenario when coverage and uses will both be fairly limited or it is going to be additional hassles they won't want when introducing a new smartphone platform.
    11-06-10 11:08 AM
    i just picked myself up from the floor after reading this statement. You obviously have no clue whatsoever in what you are talking about.

PS what is your other account name?
    11-06-10 11:44 AM
    I for one jumped shipped from a S2 because the only rumored upgrade was the same S2 I already own with more memory. Not a bigger screen, not a faster processor, not a "you fill in the blank". Not my upgrade. I jumped to a DroidX. Went through two generations of Storms. I had a S1 and a S2 and loved them.

LTE is waaaaayyyyy overated on a handheld device. Do you ever really need more than 2Mbs on a phone? Current 3G gets plenty fast. LTE isn't standardized yet. LTE is only in very limited markets. I really don't care about LTE.
    11-06-10 08:40 PM
    What exactly will they be sued for? Telling you that there is a $10 PREMIUM DATA charge (NOT 4G charge) for that phone up front when you purchase it and YOU signing a contract saying that you'll pay for it?
    At least it's not like AT&T where you have to purchase a plan for $69.99 with just unlimited nationwide and then $15 for 200mb of data for a total of $84.99 and if you want 2gb(apparently no unlimited anymore) data you can jack the cost up to $94.99...Sprint is $69.99 unlimited nationwide mobile to mobile, 450 minutes for landline calls, with unlimited data and if 450 minutes landline isn't enough you could make everything unlimited including minutes for $99.99 and I'm failing to see how this isn't a WAY BETTER deal especially if you use your Blackberry as much as I do! I have the $69.99 plan and have never run into any extra charges!

These prices were directly off the ATT and Sprint websites!
    Last edited by russworman; 11-23-10 at 10:16 PM.
    11-23-10 10:13 PM
    Nothing wrong with future proofing their phones, the real question is, why would you buy it? I believe its still a bit faster than 3G, but again, why pay for something you can't or don't really use?

People do it all the time with cars that are more powerful than needed, or with other electronics they never take advantage of. Instead of customers saying, wow it has 4G speeds, they should look at. Does it make phone calls? Do I really need to pay extra money for the ability to send video in HD?
    EXACTLY! BUT, modern (read that as younger) society today wants these things whether they will ever use them or not; if RIM wants to increase sales, they need to jump on that bankwagon (not misspelled), or face a few faithful, who think like you, understand their philosophy, but will continue to shrink their sales.
    11-24-10 07:47 AM
    EXACTLY! BUT, modern (read that as younger) society today wants these things whether they will ever use them or not; if RIM wants to increase sales, they need to jump on that bankwagon (not misspelled), or face a few faithful, who think like you, understand their philosophy, but will continue to shrink their sales.
    If rim wants to increase sales then they will have other considerations such as the need to make the devices look and perform better with better screens, thinner designs, more responsive processors etc. before they worry about something like LTE because the simple fact of the matter is that these are actually the kind of things that most people notice on phones rather than which network technology it is using.
    neokuji likes this.
    11-24-10 11:33 PM
    If rim wants to increase sales then they will have other considerations such as the need to make the devices look and perform better with better screens, thinner designs, more responsive processors etc. before they worry about something like LTE because the simple fact of the matter is that these are actually the kind of things that most people notice on phones rather than which network technology it is using.
    What would you buy? A droid that is 4G or a BB with similiar specs but that is 3G?

95% of consumers will go with 4G not even knowing what it is.

Besides isn't this discussion Moot. The storm 3 is 4G and there will be 4G versions of the playbook very soon. Is the torch 2 is going to drop next summer when ATT launches their LTE network, I bet that wilo be LTE as well. And I am sure the next major BB for t mobile will support HSPA.

Its just the way it is now.

11-25-10 07:28 AM
    What would you buy? A droid that is 4G or a BB with similiar specs but that is 3G?

95% of consumers will go with 4G not even knowing what it is.
    95% of consumer won't much care, it is the geeks that worry about such things and they are a minority even among smartphone buyers.

Besides isn't this discussion Moot. The storm 3 is 4G and there will be 4G versions of the playbook very soon. Is the torch 2 is going to drop next summer when ATT launches their LTE network, I bet that wilo be LTE as well. And I am sure the next major BB for t mobile will support HSPA.

Its just the way it is now.
    We have no confirmed info about storm 3 so we don't know what it will support, the playbooks with 3g/4g are a year away according to rim and tbh it wouldn't surprise me if hspa was the only faster tech to be supported in the next batch of blackberries.
    11-25-10 04:49 PM
    This whole post just oozes Dumb.
    11-25-10 05:37 PM
    So you want BB to release a 4G phone, when the network doesn't even really exist yet?

ATT has no LTE network
    Verizon is developing theirs, and it is not even out yet period. And it isn't even being deployed in some states/big cities.
    Sprint is not going to LTE
    Tmobile's "4G" is just ATT's current 3G

Why would BB release a phone, with LTE technology when no one really has the network setup yet? Not to mention, they didn't start releasing 3G smartphones on GSM until about 3-4 years ago, starting with the Bold 9000.

So why would they rush to release LTE again or why should they? Please tell me
    11-29-10 02:46 PM
    So you want BB to release a 4G phone, when the network doesn't even really exist yet?

ATT has no LTE network
    Verizon is developing theirs, and it is not even out yet period. And it isn't even being deployed in some states/big cities.
    Sprint is not going to LTE
    Tmobile's "4G" is just ATT's current 3G

Why would BB release a phone, with LTE technology when no one really has the network setup yet? Not to mention, they didn't start releasing 3G smartphones on GSM until about 3-4 years ago, starting with the Bold 9000.

So why would they rush to release LTE again or why should they? Please tell me
    Huh? VZW is releasing LTE on 12/6 in about 35 major Us cities.

11-29-10 03:27 PM
    Thats right, they ARE releasing. Its not even out yet, my city (Detroit) and state don't have it yet.

If you haven't noticed, BB is never a company to jump the gun on such technology, it often hurts to be the first company to do so. And not only that, RIM is a minimalist.
    Even Apple didn't release a phone with 3G speed or 3G HSPA speeds right away. They waited.

Rim predominately and Apply only make GSM phones. So while Verizon, which is a CDMA network, is just switching to LTE which is a GSM technology. It would be an awkward trial by error. Yes some of Rims world phones could fall back onto the CDMA 3G network (Storm,/96xx Bold, a pearl device prolly, and the style) and I think thats it.

Think about it this way, what if you were some kids making money taking care of your neighbors lawns, you did 50 lawns in a year, and now its snowing. But over 90% of your customers have snow blowers. Would it be a good investment to start buying salt, and shovels and whatever. When you won't be making money off of it, since no one really needs your help?

LTE can still run on 3G. Until LTE is fully deployed, why would phone makers rush to make phones for it? Look at those sprint phones, it cost 10 extra a month for the consumer, just to be using the data, you don't even have to be in a '4G' area.

Why are you so obsessed with LTE? No other company even has phones out for it yet.
    11-29-10 05:31 PM
    because android WILL have phones, and quite a few of them available by january and through the rest of the first quarter. Face it, some people will by a 4G phone and wont have access to it because they want the newest technology, they dont know any better and a VZW can talk many uninformed customer into it saying its the new best thing.

its about having something to give the competition some actual competition. Right now, RIM has nothing to offer, 4G or not
    The_Engine likes this.
    11-29-10 07:29 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD